Bills 2nd round pick ???

TFBillsfan

28 minutes ago, Beast said:

For most of last season, the o-line was not good. If there is someone available that projects to better than someone in the current starting 5, take him. Without hesitation.

For most of last year the OL was not good..

Dawkins was fighting covid and covid effects for most of the year.   Not a coincidence the OL came together in conjunction with our talented LT finally looking like himself.  

Regardless of whether anyone thinks Saffold is still a pro-bowl caliber Guard, he’s likely an upgrade over Williams. 

Morse was a reliable player all year, and he’s back with us. 

OL came together, also, when we finally put Bates in the starting five.   He’s back, and as of now, it looks like the other Guard spot is his to lose. 

Spencer Brown was a raw rookie RT.  No reason to think he won’t improve.  

Not sure I see an IOL who pushes any of those five out of a spot tonight.. maybe someone like Parham… maybe.  

If we don’t address OL tonight, it’s hard to see any Day 3 lineman that would definitely beat out Doyle, Quessenberry, Ford, Boettger or Mancz.  Certainly not a Tackle, where Doyle was a developmental Day 3 pick last year and Quessenberry is a decent vet.   Maybe IOL could compete for a spot against Ford/Mancz and Ike probably starts the year on the PUP. 

Also, Kromer should help a lot.  

I just don’t really see OL as a sensible pick … next year, absolutely. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, 947 said:

Likely: WR

Possibly: OL

Dark Horse: ILB

I absolutely HATE our WR depth. But I really like our starters. I don't exactly understand where a 2nd round rookie fits in? Somebody through out Emmanuel Sanders coming back at a vet minimum. That might be preferabe? Unsure. But I think I wouldn't hate adding Sanders for super cheap and addressing other position groups that might actually be a prominent starter in 2023. 

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Bean is allergic to offensive picks not named Josh Allen above the 3rd round. I swear he must call the Green Bay front office a lot cause this is exactly what they do with Aaron Rogers 

Well, they did spend a number 1 pick on Stephon Diggs, but don’t let facts get in the way of your rant.

I think the Value for the 2nd round that fits a need is going to be Safety, LB, IOL, TE, RB. There could be a WR that they like at 57 but it wouldn't surprise me if its slim pickins by 57 in that regards. I think Beane is trying to find legit speed. If they are looking for a WR that could be there at 57 that is a speed guy thats Calvin Austin III and maybe Alec Pierce (who I actually think is a great fit from a character/need type player)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Please no. They have to get younger… not old man Sanders.

A 2nd round rookie fits in as a great depth piece and pushes Kumerow off the roster. 

Right, I get that, to an extent. But I also look at second round picks as projected or expected starters. We are locked into Diggs for eternity and one would hope we extend Davis as part of the corp. Crowder is a fine stop gap for cheap. I can get behind drafting a WR in the second for sure even on the outside. But from a roster and draft value point of view it feels like either Sky Moore or get a somebody who is prepping to start in 2023 if we let Edmunds walk or don't/can't extend Poyer.

Don't underestimate the importance of a punter either....

I’d like to see us end Day 2 with 1 each of:

-Interior OL, preferably someone with G/C flexibility 

-Offensive skill position - RB, WR, or TE

Odds are, these are the last 2 picks that are likely to contribute on O or D in 2022. So I’d like to come away with depth on the O-line, because we’re very thin there currently. And I don’t think we have a strong need at starter for any of the skill positions, but we could use depth at all of them. 

4 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Well, they did spend a number 1 pick on Stephon Diggs, but don’t let facts get in the way of your rant.

Let’s look at the weapons:

Diggs via a RD1 Pick, valid point.  

OJ Howard and Jamison Crowder are nice players brought in on one year deals via FA.  McKenzie is a decent gadget player. 

Recent picks for Allen:

RD3 RB

RD3 RB

RD3 TE

RD4 WR

I think it’s ok to acknowledge that we’re getting closer to a “JA will just elevate everyone” argument if we don’t get him a legitimate weapon tonight.  

Especially since we have Kumerow on the outside if Diggs or Davis miss any time.

Also, Diggs and Davis can’t play every snap..

From a team building standpoint, I’ll be pretty worried if they don’t draft a guy to be a legit option on the outside tonight. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

For most of last year the OL was not good..

Dawkins was fighting covid and covid effects for most of the year.   Not a coincidence the OL came together in conjunction with our talented LT finally looking like himself.  

Regardless of whether anyone thinks Saffold is still a pro-bowl caliber Guard, he’s likely an upgrade over Williams. 

Morse was a reliable player all year, and he’s back with us. 

OL came together, also, when we finally put Bates in the starting five.   He’s back, and as of now, it looks like the other Guard spot is his to lose. 

Spencer Brown was a raw rookie RT.  No reason to think he won’t improve.  

Not sure I see an IOL who pushes any of those five out of a spot tonight.. maybe someone like Parham… maybe.  

If we don’t address OL tonight, it’s hard to see any Day 3 lineman that would definitely beat out Doyle, Quessenberry, Ford, Boettger or Mancz.  Certainly not a Tackle, where Doyle was a developmental Day 3 pick last year and Quessenberry is a decent vet.   Maybe IOL could compete for a spot against Ford/Mancz and Ike probably starts the year on the PUP. 

Also, Kromer should help a lot.  

I just don’t really see OL as a sensible pick … next year, absolutely. 

There is good inter oline depth. I think there will be guys taken on day 3 in this class who will start as IOL as rookies. The Bills should absolutely be looking to take a shot on one somewhere.

9 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

I think they duplicate last year's duplication and go CB again

I’m reminded of the McDonalds commercials a ways back:

”Little hungry, little hungry”

Still, it would be bizarre for them to do that sgain.

8 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think the Value for the 2nd round that fits a need is going to be Safety, LB, IOL, TE, RB. There could be a WR that they like at 57 but it wouldn't surprise me if its slim pickins by 57 in that regards. I think Beane is trying to find legit speed. If they are looking for a WR that could be there at 57 that is a speed guy thats Calvin Austin III and maybe Alec Pierce (who I actually think is a great fit from a character/need type player)

Same. So I don't have a 2nd on Austin he is a late 3rd on my board. I have 6 wide receivers left with 2nd round grades, not convinced they are all perfect fits for us but even if they were no guarantee any of them make it down to #57.

Bills have to go offense with the next pick. Preferably WR but RB or OL are fine too. Just go offense. 

If we take a LB or S I'll be a little sick. Two years in a row now our second round pick was used on a defender that spent the year on the bench/inactive. Enough. 

I am worried that McDermott can't help himself, though.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

More defense.. I’d hate it. 

Im not sure how anyone is ok with our WR room being Diggs, Davis, Crowder, McKenzie and then meh..

For a team that throws a lot, we’re one injury away from having to play game(s) with Kumerow or Stevenson/Hodgins starting on the outside.  

Personally, I think there is plenty of depth in the draft for a #5 or 6th reciever/Insurance policy or upgrade over Kumerow. Stevenson was a rookie, so until we actually see him play WR, I am not judging him yet. Hodgins was praised in the past. 

Don't get me wrong, I have no issues taking a WR or Hall in rnd 2 or 3. I Just think they will go LB or TE in 2 and 3 in whichever order.

45 minutes ago, McBean said:

I don’t understand the obsession with drafting another WR.

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Crowder

I want Breece Hall.

Diggs/Davis playing every 3-wide snap, every game?

We have two legit outside WR’s on a pass happy team. 

You’re cool going to war with Kumerow or Stevenson as a starter if Diggs or Davis miss any time?

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right, I get that, to an extent. But I also look at second round picks as projected or expected starters. We are locked into Diggs for eternity and one would hope we extend Davis as part of the corp. Crowder is a fine stop gap for cheap. I can get behind drafting a WR in the second for sure even on the outside. But from a roster and draft value point of view it feels like either Sky Moore or get a somebody who is prepping to start in 2023 if we let Edmunds walk or don't/can't extend Poyer.

Don't underestimate the importance of a punter either....

I tend to agree with this. First, Kumerow starts at gunner. And it’s unlikely a Day 2 WR will be played at gunner. More likely, a good Day 2 WR pick would push Crowder off the roster. That’s fine if he’s better than Crowder, but I think there’s weaker spots on the roster. 

I’ll probably be banging the drum for a WR in rounds 1-3 next year, but I see it as only a nice-to-have for this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.