Jump to content

Is there any chance Beane signs a veteran Free Agent Corner before the draft?


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

Doesn't appear so.

 

Despite everyone insisting that Beane would sign a vet Free Agent before the draft.

 

It is slightly surprising.

I agree. I thought he would have.  But there is still time and options after the draft.  It is odd.  There just hasn’t been  the league-wide signing surge just prior to the draft like in years past. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why sign one now when there will be more vets likely available after the draft 

Some will surely be released at cut downs, but are you thinking some will come available before then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beane once said something to the effect that he likes to address all position needs before the draft making it easier to do BPA during the draft.   So I really thought he'd sign a CB by now.   


But Beane knows that, generally speaking, the longer he waits, the lower the price for a FA.  The risk of waiting is, of course, that the FA you want will come off the market.  I think - maybe - Beane has enough confidence in our current CB depth that he's willing to take that risk?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Of course there’s a chance!  Right now, Beane is going to see if they can handle it in this draft. But you never know how the draft is going to go….They might not meet their CB needs and they know they can sign a vet there if things fall through….

Having said that, I think it is a tiny chance. I think CB is very deep this draft and they are pretty much certain that they will fill the tank at corner with better prospects than Wallace. Then, of course, we have to coach them way up starting shortly after the draft.

 

Positions to hit: CBs, WR, RB, OG, DT, LB and P….

 

I’d love three CBs that can play outside but I doubt I get my wish.

 

Call me crazy but my draft crush for the Bills is Jordan Davis.

And my wouldn’t surprise me at one pick is Ojabo….

You are correct about there being quite a few good CB's in the draft.  There are really only 6 or 7 that grade out to be high end prospects.  I think Beane will want one of these guys because of White's injury.  If White was not coming off the injury, several of the second tier guys would suffice and be an upgrade over Wallace.  If White misses some time or has lagging performance, Beane will want a guy that can handle the CB1 role.  CB is the most obvious glaring hole in the starting roster.  Beane will not leave the draft without addressing it.  Because of his good work in free agency, Beane has the flexibility to draft the best prospects in almost every position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Of course there’s a chance!  Right now, Beane is going to see if they can handle it in this draft. But you never know how the draft is going to go….They might not meet their CB needs and they know they can sign a vet there if things fall through….

Having said that, I think it is a tiny chance. I think CB is very deep this draft and they are pretty much certain that they will fill the tank at corner with better prospects than Wallace. Then, of course, we have to coach them way up starting shortly after the draft.

 

Positions to hit: CBs, WR, RB, OG, DT, LB and P….

 

I’d love three CBs that can play outside but I doubt I get my wish.

 

Call me crazy but my draft crush for the Bills is Jordan Davis.

And my wouldn’t surprise me at one pick is Ojabo….

After signing seversl free agent defensive tackles,you think Bills should invest a first round pick in another DT?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's always a chance that Beane will pull something out of his hat but i think he's more focused on the draft at this point we may see something after but i don't think so before .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you were a vet CB would you sign before the draft? Not unless you were offered a huge deal, you wouldn't. Guys don't get paid at this time of year anyway so might as well wait and see what opens up for you after the draft.

 

Beane might want to use his leverage of not needing to fill a bunch of spots on the 53 with rookies, to make a draft-day trade as well. He might surprise us, no?

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I saw Joe Haden at the Buffalo airport. 

with George Seifert?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

It's different this year because there are five to seven very good CBs out there in free agency, slow-marinating in the oven of temporary unemployment.

Are there five to seven very good CBs out there, or five to seven known CB names out there? Honest question as I don't study anything but the Bills.

Edited by RochesterLifer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Are there five to seven very good CBs out there, or five to seven known CB names out there? Honest question as I don't study anything but the Bills.

 

I think there are 4 high tier guys. Then like 3-4 right under.  Then the rest. I think they should aim for one of the top 4. 

 

Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, Booth, you could include Hill if you project him at corner. 

 

Then the next tier is like Elam, Emerson, Woolen etc etc. Again all my opinion. 

 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would be supremely surprised if the Bills didn't sign a vet corner or two before training camp. And I would not be surprised by a high draft pick as well.

 

But there's no reason to sign one right now. Might as well wait till after the draft to see how the landscape changes.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I would be supremely surprised if the Bills didn't sign a vet corner or two before training camp. And I would not be surprised by a high draft pick as well.

 

But there's no reason to sign one right now. Might as well wait till after the draft to see how the landscape changes.

 

Here in the NYC area many of the "experts" think the Giants will take Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner at either #5 or #7. If they do I wonder if that increases the chances they trade James Bradberry. They have cap concerns and the Bills were rumored to be one of the teams who would be interested in him. Maybe Beane and Schoen can work out a deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Vets are holding out for more money, they will get signed for whatever is left after the draft in the few locations that didn't pick up rookies to fill those spots. I still think there is a chance we trade for Bradberry during the draft, but not at his full salary.

 

If Daboll/Schoen like Edmunds, I feel like a trade involving a swap of picks and Edmunds for Bradberry just makes so much sense. 

 

They have picks 7 and 36... either of which could be spots we'd very much like to have.  

 

Unless Beane has some voodoo magic to re-sign Edmunds and Knox, it looks to everyone that Edmunds may be on a 1 year deal and then he either walks because we don't care to sign him or can't afford to sign him.

 

Why not send him to the Giants, if they view him as a centerpiece of that Defense..  They lock him up long term and we get a 1 year rental out of Bradberry to bolster the secondary and provide insurance for Tre White taking time to come back full strength.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we are pretty much done in FA other than a stopgap veteran DB sometime between post draft and training camp.

 

If for some reason Edmunds is used in a trade tomorrow then LB also becomes a FA need especially since more cap room would become immediately available.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Greg S said:

 

Here in the NYC area many of the "experts" think the Giants will take Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner at either #5 or #7. If they do I wonder if that increases the chances they trade James Bradberry. They have cap concerns and the Bills were rumored to be one of the teams who would be interested in him. Maybe Beane and Schoen can work out a deal.

 

I think Bradberry is out pretty much no matter what. I think he will struggle in that press man scheme. So he is miscast and expensive. He is the perfect pickup for us because he's a seasoned vet who is in his prime and can help us pursue a Super Bowl. 

 

I think a Bradberry move could go down on day 2 if the Bills miss out on all the top corners. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...