USFL rule changes…thumbs up or thumbs down?

eball

I read an article this morning about some of the rules changes the USFL is putting into play:

• Allowing two forward passes behind the line of scrimmage.
  • When a team scores a touchdown, it has three options: add an extra point with a 15-yard field goal, two points for a play from the 2-yard line that crosses the goal line and three points of a play from the 10-yard line that crosses the goal line.
  • A team trying to stage a comeback late will have two options after scoring a touchdown: A conventional onside kick or converting a fourth-and-12 play on its 33 yard line.
  • Kickoffs will be done from the 25-yard line. When The Spring League used that rule, 95% of kickoffs were returned.
  • If a game goes to overtime, each team gets three tries to score on a play from the 2-yard line, with two points awarded for each successful try. If there is a tie after three rounds, an additional round is added until a winner prevails.
  • A microchip in the ball will determine down and distance and whether a play produces a first down.

The “rule” that interests me the most is the last one, which in this day and age seems like a no-brainer.  A chip should also determine whether a TD is scored.  I’ll be curious to watch that one.

I think the two forward passes, PAT, and OT rules are silly.  The onside kick option is intriguing.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

I was listening to Sal the other day, and he brought up a good point.  The NFL has the capability to do the chip thing, but the league likes the drama of the spot, and thus are resistant to the change.

I thought it was an interesting point. 

That's dumb. I find it tedious wasting time on spots. And what's more frustrating than seeing an official miss-spot the ball when you can clearly see the right spot watching TV?

I'm very interested in the rest of the rule changes. I see the USFL has no qualms about a fair OT. Why the NFL is allergic to the concept I'll never understand.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's dumb. I find it tedious wasting time on spots. And what's more frustrating than seeing an official miss-spot the ball when you can clearly see the right spot watching TV?

I'm very interested in the rest of the rule changes. I see the USFL has no qualms about a fair OT. Why the NFL is allergic to the concept I'll never understand.

Because like the spotting - the NFL loves the sudden death concept.

I hate the gimmicky rules - 2 forward passes is just way beyond gimmicky.  

The chip may help a little, but not really - you still have to determine when the runner is down and then they will still get it wrong because the ball is not round.  So to determine exact spotting - you need multiple chips and sensors in the field - otherwise it will be no different from the NFL - the Refs are guessing when he was down and touched.  They will just act like it is better.

Do we need 3 different types of point afters and I would change the onside rule completely.  The receiving team should get the choice of taking the ball from the 15 or allowing the other team to kickoff.  The losing team should not be giving repeated advantages to help overcome poor play - especially a 4th and 12 - that is way to short.

Basically the USFL is actively upping the injury factor - kicking from the 25 and Goalline plays are some of the worst - this league is not long - one spinal injury or set of concussions during the plays the NFL has already shown to be dangerous and the USFL will be sued out of existence.  

Edited by Rochesterfan

51 minutes ago, eball said:

I read an article this morning about some of the rules changes the USFL is putting into play:

• Allowing two forward passes behind the line of scrimmage. Nonsense
  • When a team scores a touchdown, it has three options: add an extra point with a 15-yard field goal, two points for a play from the 2-yard line that crosses the goal line and three points of a play from the 10-yard line that crosses the goal line. No.
  • A team trying to stage a comeback late will have two options after scoring a touchdown: A conventional onside kick or converting a fourth-and-12 play on its 33 yard line. I'm willing to listen on this. Since they changed the kickoff rules for safety reasons onsides are practically useless. Not sold this is the formula that solves it but they need to look at options. 
  • Kickoffs will be done from the 25-yard line. When The Spring League used that rule, 95% of kickoffs were returned. The league moved kickoffs up to reduce returns for safety reasons. They are not going back. Non-starter. 
  • If a game goes to overtime, each team gets three tries to score on a play from the 2-yard line, with two points awarded for each successful try. If there is a tie after three rounds, an additional round is added until a winner prevails. I don't hate this. Maybe it is because to me it feels most like soccer's penalty kick type formula. It guarantees equal chances at least.  
  • A microchip in the ball will determine down and distance and whether a play produces a first down. Obvious rule change that the NFL needs now. 

My thoughts added. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is the chip in the middle of the ball?  is there a chip on either point of the ball?

Also, the OT "shootout" is a joke. 

How accurate is the chip?  If in the middle of the ball, nose can cross and it wouldn’t register?  How much leeway is there that would positively, or negatively effect a scoring call?

As far as the rest, don’t care either way.  Feel they are getting too involved in a tie though.  3 tries each?  I understand the math behind it, but seems too much.  Honestly, I’d prefer they play another full quarter, and if still tied then sudden death.  Seems fair to me, but doesn’t fit TV schedules.

Edited by davefan66

Just now, davefan66 said:

How accurate is the chip?  If in the middle of the ball, nose can cross and it wouldn’t register?  How much leeway is there that would positively, or negatively effect a scoring call?

As far as the rest, don’t care either way.  Feel they are getting too involved in a tie though.  3 tries each?  I understand the math behind it, but seems too much.  Honestly, I’d prefer they play another full quarter, and then sudden death.  Seems fair to me, but doesn’t fit TV schedules.

remember that 9 OT Penn State game?  It wasn't even football.

As for the chip.  be prepared for the replay to show the tip of the ball cross the plane and no TD indicated by the chip.  Gambling addicts will rend their clothing....

• Like (+1) 1

The complaints about the microchip not being able to tell when someone is down by contact are complaining about a problem that already exists - the spot and the time at which the player is downed are already separate decisions made by refs. The microchip just automates one of them.

• Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, LeviF said:

The complaints about the microchip not being able to tell when someone is down by contact are complaining about a problem that already exists - the spot and the time at which the player is downed are already separate decisions made by refs. The microchip just automates one of them.

But it automates the part that's already accurate. Given that the spot itself is pretty much guesstimated, the chip merely gives the illusion of more precision. At best, it'll speed up the measurement process, since we won't have to wait for the "chain gang" to make a trip onto the field.

• Agree 1

I work with locating and tracking systems every day.  The chip worries me, because I know how accurate people think they can be. There's a huge amount of infrastructure that goes into setting up a system.  If they use it as a part of determining where the ball is, in addition to camera view, then it may be okay. But if they think it will be the only deciding factor all the time, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I was listening to Sal the other day, and he brought up a good point.  The NFL has the capability to do the chip thing, but the league likes the drama of the spot, and thus are resistant to the change.

I thought it was an interesting point. 

The real reason is the NFL is afraid New England will hire someone who will figure out how to hack the chip.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Because like the spotting - the NFL loves the sudden death concept.

I hate the gimmicky rules - 2 forward passes is just way beyond gimmicky.  

The chip may help a little, but not really - you still have to determine when the runner is down and then they will still get it wrong because the ball is not round.  So to determine exact spotting - you need multiple chips and sensors in the field - otherwise it will be no different from the NFL - the Refs are guessing when he was down and touched.  They will just act like it is better.

Do we need 3 different types of point afters and I would change the onside rule completely.  The receiving team should get the choice of taking the ball from the 15 or allowing the other team to kickoff.  The losing team should not be giving repeated advantages to help overcome poor play - especially a 4th and 12 - that is way to short.

Basically the USFL is actively upping the injury factor - kicking from the 25 and Goalline plays are some of the worst - this league is not long - one spinal injury or set of concussions during the plays the NFL has already shown to be dangerous and the USFL will be sued out of existence.  

I dont mind the 2 forward passes.  It just moves those plays where the guy has to be behind the QB up, and you no longer have to judge whether he threw it forward or back, and you don't have to worry about fumbles.  etc.  

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I dont mind the 2 forward passes.  It just moves those plays where the guy has to be behind the QB up, and you no longer have to judge whether he threw it forward or back, and you don't have to worry about fumbles.  etc.  

Agreed. Yeah it sounds gimmicky, but two forward passes is exciting.

56 minutes ago, nucci said:

They're just trying to appease people with this. Saying it's not ready for prime time is total BS. If they really wanted to, it would be ready. It's just technology and coding formulas. They'll use it to supplement the spot. And to actually see where the ball is when the runner is under a pile will be awesome.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.