Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

10 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is true! 

Russell Bodine too! And from the Hoodie. 

I guess, is Cody Ford better than a lottery ticket rookie in the 6th round this year? I dunno. But there has to be football people out there that still like him. A lot of smoke said he was a first rounder coming out. 

Maybe it's Joe Schoen or Dan Morgan in NY and Carolina right now where they have a need. 

Not sure Beane can flip Ford for a pick in this draft. I could see the Bills picking an IOL in this draft and then “show casing” Ford in preseason for hopes of getting something for him in 2023. This is Beane’s compensatory pick approach. Stock pile olinemen because you can never have enough and someone always needs one. 

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yes, because we're speaking in generalities about negotiation and sales, whereas you were speaking in specifics about the nuances of sports contracts. There's a chasm of difference.

OMG did you actually sit down sober and write that?

IMMA guess "yes" 

Dude, you (and I) were using situations like negotiating sales of homes and collectibles as analogies to negotiating NFL contracts, we weren't just shooting the ***** about them.  The chap you're talking to here was using situations like negotiating other major league sports contracts as an analogy to negotiating NFL contracts.

If there's a chasm, it logically favors the latter as more relevant and applicable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, finn said:

The trouble is, you don't really want a starting guard who's only slightly above average, not at that price, and especially if the rest of the line is mostly just adequate to good. Dawkins is the only player who is excellent. 

After throwing two first-round picks, three second-round picks and a third-round pick at the D-line--and even then spending huge to get it right--it's time to finally invest in the O-line. Zion Johnson, ready to compete with Bates in 2022 and replace Saffold in 2023. Not sexy, but smart. 

Considering the state of OL play in the league, and OL play on the Bills, I'd settle for a slightly above average guard who demonstrates consistency at that level of play.

But I agree completely that it's time, and past time, for a serious draft investment at IOL

43 minutes ago, Putin said:

Just wondering how much would we have to pay him if we would have put a second round tender on him ? 

Have you read the thread or is losing the war causing to much strife?

It would of cost just under 4 million about 250-400,000 less, but he would be a FA next year with 20+ games of film.  If nothing changed from this year and he was adequate - Mark Glowinski or Conner Williams level - young FA guard switching teams - he would get 6-7 million AAV

So you would lose 400,000 for this year, but have to factor in 3 years 18 million (Glowinski contract) - so he would cost 4 years 22 million approximately if we used the 2nd round tender - plus highly likely we lose him after the year and must replace both starting guards.

So over the life of this current contract we will most likely save about 6 million dollars and he is locked in.

3 hours ago, finn said:

The trouble is, you don't really want a starting guard who's only slightly above average, not at that price, and especially if the rest of the line is mostly just adequate to good. Dawkins is the only player who is excellent. 

After throwing two first-round picks, three second-round picks and a third-round pick at the D-line--and even then spending huge to get it right--it's time to finally invest in the O-line. Zion Johnson, ready to compete with Bates in 2022 and replace Saffold in 2023. Not sexy, but smart. 

That’s about as average an OG contract as you could get. 

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Considering the state of OL play in the league, and OL play on the Bills, I'd settle for a slightly above average guard who demonstrates consistency at that level of play.

But I agree completely that it's time, and past time, for a serious draft investment at IOL

Yes, the OL has been an issue for too long now. Want at least one IOL and one tackle selected in the draft. Give Josh more time to throw and protect the 260 million investment.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, finn said:

There are plenty of guards starting in the NFL that are not slightly above average the ***** are you talking about man

10 hours ago, Doc said:

The tender was $3.986M.

That’s for one year. Then there back to negotiations next year. Let’s just say Ricky has a good year.he may not but most feel he’s an ascending player. Would he be asking for more than 4.25 million in his next contract? As I’ve said many times before. Let Beane do what Beane does best. He’s built this Organization into one of the best in the entire NFL. Some of the speculation on here is downright scary 😱. Beane is a Warlock 🧙‍♂️ he does Warlock 🧙‍♂️ like things. 

I firmly believe this was Beane’s plan all along. He deliberately tendered Bates low because there was an AAV he was willing to match. It’s pretty hard to put in a poison pill in contracts today because of the ease of restructuring other contracts to free up space. So, the only way we were going to lose Bates was if another team overpaid him (Overpaid from Beane’s perspective). Not only that, we have him locked up for 4 years. That wasn’t going to happen at the end of last year when Bates started to prove his worth as a starter as he’d want to hit FA even if its restricted FA. It’s a win win for Bates and us, even though Beane took a calculated risk. It paid off.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Bates has a 43-page thread prior to signing and a 20-page thread after signing. Rick Bates is clearly the most thread-worthy player ever on the Bills, on a per game started (4) basis.

Great job Rick!

I literally keep coming back to this thread because it is growing in size so fast that it makes me think that details about his contract have come out.

18 hours ago, Georgie said:

Check out Spotrac,Over The Cap etc .

They do not have them yet.  No one outside the NFL seems to, which is odd for a deal that has gone through two teams.  That isn’t significant, just unusual. 

2nd round tender would not have gotten any offers on a guy who started 6 games last year. Beane knew exactly what he was doing . RFA players usually signed for one year then they hit Free Agency. He wanted to lock up a starting guard or at minimum the primary guard/center backup for a number of years.  Worked out as planned. Starting line locked up for next year, now we need depth.

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

That’s for one year. Then there back to negotiations next year. Let’s just say Ricky has a good year.he may not but most feel he’s an ascending player. Would he be asking for more than 4.25 million in his next contract? As I’ve said many times before. Let Beane do what Beane does best. He’s built this Organization into one of the best in the entire NFL. Some of the speculation on here is downright scary 😱. Beane is a Warlock 🧙‍♂️ he does Warlock 🧙‍♂️ like things. 

Yup. Plays on the (2nd round) tender for the year then likely bolts for more money than the contract the Bills matched. Penny (not even really) wise, pound foolish. 

12 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Not sure Beane can flip Ford for a pick in this draft. I could see the Bills picking an IOL in this draft and then “show casing” Ford in preseason for hopes of getting something for him in 2023. This is Beane’s compensatory pick approach. Stock pile olinemen because you can never have enough and someone always needs one. 

No, no, no, no..... if we want a pick for Cody they need to not put him on the field in pre-season. Wait for a team to have a major oline injury in camp and then give them a call and offer them Cody for a 2023 6th rounder. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.