What to do at CB?

GreggTX

On 3/17/2022 at 11:36 PM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Patrick Peterson was doing everything for the Vikings last season, a guy who could also mentor Dane Jackson and Johnson, hell even Tre White. 

I like this. Sign Peterson and draft a CB in the 1st round. 

• Like (+1) 1

If there is one thing I’m sure of, it’s that Beane and McD are not sitting around with their thumbs up their arses wondering what to do about CB.  They aren’t blindly hoping Tre is back at 100% for W1, and they aren’t going to trot out players who are unprepared.

They have a plan — we just aren’t privy to it.

I’m fine with waiting to see what it is.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/17/2022 at 11:13 PM, CapeBreton said:

If I had to bet, I would say we are taking a CB with our first rounder. Likely lots of good options available at that pick.

I know CB is a huge need but I just don’t understand the narrative that it will be a CB in the first round , it will all depend who’s on the board assuming we stay out at 25  

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Putin said:

I know CB is a huge need but I just don’t understand the narrative that it will be a CB in the first round , it will all depend who’s on the board assuming we stay out at 25  

If things stay as is, imo, they will not wait until the late rounds to draft a corner. In 2016 the Panthers had a pressing need at corner having lost Josh Norman. And they waited until their second round pick to address it with James Bradberry. He turned out to be a good player, they drafted Vernon Butler in the first because the corner value just wasn’t there. In the process they passed on Xavien Howard. Ooops. They followed that by drafting Daryl Worley in the 3rd and Zach Sanchez in the 5th. I can’t fault their process there, but they went quantity over quality, and I am not sure that is the right move. 

It’s going to come down to value and fit, but to me, the corner strength/value in this draft is between mid first to mid second. If you pass on a corner in the first, I think it could be a big risk and there may not be any left by the time you get to your second round pick. 

56 minutes ago, eball said:

If there is one thing I’m sure of, it’s that Beane and McD are not sitting around with their thumbs up their arses wondering what to do about CB.  They aren’t blindly hoping Tre is back at 100% for W1, and they aren’t going to trot out players who are unprepared.

They have a plan — we just aren’t privy to it.

I’m fine with waiting to see what it is.

My guess Dotson or Olave Rd 1.  Trade up in rd 2 for McCeary.  

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If things stay as is, imo, they will not wait until the late rounds to draft a corner. In 2016 the Panthers had a pressing need at corner having lost Josh Norman. And they waited until their second round pick to address it with James Bradberry. He turned out to be a good player, they drafted Vernon Butler in the first because the corner value just wasn’t there. In the process they passed on Xavien Howard. Ooops. They followed that by drafting Daryl Worley in the 3rd and Zach Sanchez in the 5th. I can’t fault their process there, but they went quantity over quality, and I am not sure that is the right move. 

It’s going to come down to value and fit, but to me, the corner strength/value in this draft is between mid first to mid second. If you pass on a corner in the first, I think it could be a big risk and there may not be any left by the time you get to your second round pick. 

Xavien Howard was a second round pick as well , again my point was is that Bean won’t draft a CB in the first round if he’s got a 2nd round or later grade on him 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.