Breece Hall Please!!

Milanos Milano

I like how some people poo poo the idea of taken a RB late in the first round but are advocating taking a punter in like the 5th. Do we need a new punter hell yes we do but I don’t want to spend a 5th for a guy that’s on the field for a total of what 2 minutes a game and will mostly be holding extra points. Yes I know most 5th round picks don’t make the team and blah blah blah but drafting RB in the 3rd and later isn’t working out so great for us at the moment and I’m willing to roll the dice to try and see how well it works out. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Then why not be open to drafting that position is my point? Come on think. It's written off because it's RB. But if they truly feel that he is the best player there or he is who they want at that spot then take him. You don't know if he will be a HOF or not but I'd certainly hate to say 5 years from now "hmmm, you know, it would have been great draft that pro bowl RB we had a chance on but passed on simply because he's a RB". It's just stupid. 

Because even the Bills GM has confirmed that he does not think Hall is a first round talent.

When asked about positional value and a RB and this draft - the answer was we only have about 20 1st round grades in this draft.

Then he went on to say that with positional value - if all of those picks are gone - it would take a phenomenal athlete at RB to overcome the lack of value in that pick to match up to other positions.  Basically he would draft a RB in the 1st round, but that player would need to be exceptionally talented and all other positions with first round grades would need to be gone.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It was actually on NFL Network. I realize sometimes they construct those just to make headlines but this particular one didn’t come off that way. 

I watched the NFL Nation Mock Draft last night with all the ESPN reporters assigned to teams and the Bills reporter selected Breece Hall. That's why I asked. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm not calling anyone stupid. I just hate that we can pass on a possible Tomlinson, Barkley, McCaffery, Elliott type player because people think it wouldn't be any different than a RB we can get in the 3rd round. If they believe he can be that good, everyone should be on board with drafting him

Couldn't have said it better

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The game has vastly changed over the years. It's now clearly a passing league. The run game has become secondary and just needs to be good enough to be serviceable and keep the defense honest. Elite Qbs don't need elite rbs to win games and hoist the Lombardi Trophy. Just look at KC and Tampa for evidence. A superior Oline is vastly more important than RB in todays game. QB, Oline, Dline,....., somewhere near the bottom is RB. Look at Tennessee, Clev.,and New England for evidence that good RBs aren't enough. The Bills don't need Hall or any other running back to go to the Super Bowl. Last year, the RB position didn't hinder the Bills in the playoffs. In fact, one can argue the opposite. Let's stop this silly Hall pick. No way no how do the Bills pick Hall at 25. 

You mention Tampa, but they have Fournette who certainly contributed and I believe was taken 4th overall in the first round.  In addition Cyle Edwards-Hillaire was 32nd overall for KC.  It seems to me that both teams have taken running backs in the first round and both have contributed to their success overall, no? 

it seems to make a case that the great passing teams with great QB’s also have high level running backs who were drafted highly.  Even Cam Akers for the Rams was drafted earlier than the available second round pick the bills have this year.  

I’ll also mention that the RB’s in this class have also shown incredible speed.  There were 5 backs, including Hall that ran in the sub 4.4 range at his size. Even the best from last year in Najee and Etienne ran in the mid 4.4’s.  Wondering maybe there are a few underrated backs in this class.  Sure is a lot of speed.  Breece seems to have both speed, size and receiving ability.

Edited by Aurelius
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Because even the Bills GM has confirmed that he does not think Hall is a first round talent.

When asked about positional value and a RB and this draft - the answer was we only have about 20 1st round grades in this draft.

Then he went on to say that with positional value - if all of those picks are gone - it would take a phenomenal athlete at RB to overcome the lack of value in that pick to match up to other positions.  Basically he would draft a RB in the 1st round, but that player would need to be exceptionally talented and all other positions with first round grades would need to be gone.

Beane never said Hall wasn’t a first round talent. He did say they had about 20 first round grades. And he did say taking a RB that high would take a phenomenal talent. But he never said Hall was not a first round talent. You were doing alright until that. 

Just now, Aurelius said:

You mention Tampa, but they have Fournette who certainly contributed and I believe was taken 4th overall in the first round.  In addition Cyle Edwards-Hillaire was 32nd overall for KC.  It seems to me that both teams have taken running backs in the first round and both have contributed to their success overall, no? 

CEH is pretty much universally seen as a disappointment and is generally used on the "don't take RB in the first" side of the argument. I won't hate Hall if the cupboard is bare at other positions, but for me, CB, WR, OL, are above RB on team needs and I also think Kenneth Walker is going to be the better pro, but if Hall is Thurman Thomas redux, of course you want him.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

CEH is pretty much universally seen as a disappointment and is generally used on the "don't take RB in the first" side of the argument. I won't hate Hall if the cupboard is bare at other positions, but for me, CB, WR, OL, are above RB on team needs and I also think Kenneth Walker is going to be the better pro, but if Hall is Thurman Thomas redux, of course you want him.

im not in love with edwards-Hellaire.  I don’t think he’s all that comparable to some in this draft though and was taken pretty high for a 5’7” back that ran a near 4.5 40 time.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CookieG said:

Simms had Rousseau to the Bills in his mock draft last year.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/chris-simms-nfl-mock-draft-justin-fields/zr85rseup85q1hfzxo2jmyf5q

Of course, he could have just gotten lucky.

I do think the Bills love Breece Hall....but I also think they love a few others.  It all depends on how the board falls.  Wasn't there a year where the Bills didn't draft any player they had visits with?  You just have no idea what the Bills are going to do.  The only year that it was 100% obvious was 2018 with needing a QB.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I do think the Bills love Breece Hall....but I also think they love a few others.  It all depends on how the board falls.  Wasn't there a year where the Bills didn't draft any player they had visits with?  You just have no idea what the Bills are going to do.  The only year that it was 100% obvious was 2018 with needing a QB.

Beane has had 2 drafts where he had a 1st round pick and they were able to do visits. All 3 picks - Allen, Edmunds, Oliver - visited. You only get 30 and as the draft moves along a lot of guys who visited are going to come off the board, there are runs on positions, trades, etc and guys who visited are unavailable to be drafted, so it is truly only meaningful that they visited and had the team medical check (most important part of the visit) in the 1st round imo 

the interesting thing about Breece Hall’s visit is that he also visited the giants. There is almost no chance they take a RB in the 1st or early second. I think shoen is doing Beane a favor with his input.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

it seems to make a case that the great passing teams with great QB’s also have high level running backs who were drafted highly.  Even Cam Akers for the Rams was drafted earlier than the available second round pick the bills have this year.  

I’ll also mention that the RB’s in this class have also shown incredible speed.  There were 5 backs, including Hall that ran in the sub 4.4 range at his size. Even the best from last year in Najee and Etienne ran in the mid 4.4’s.  Wondering maybe there are a few underrated backs in this class.  Sure is a lot of speed.  Breece seems to have both speed, size and receiving ability.

I'm not saying the RB position isn't an important piece to an offense. However, Fournette played well because of Brady's elite passing threat and a great Oline. Let's face it Fournette is anything but elite. Without Brady he's probably average. Same goes for CEH. He hasn't really done much and many Chiefs fans wish they would have drafted a CB instead. The Rams have a very good running game under coach McVey. Look how good Gurley looked. 

I stand by my statement that the Bills offense doesn't need a Breece Hall. Give Allen a better Oline and a speed burner receiver. Motor and the running back by committee will do just fine. Motor looked very good when the Bills Oline changed their blocking scheme, committed to the run, and the Oline improved. I'm a big no to Hall at 25!

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nice post. A reality check here. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’ll root for anyone the Bills pick in any round. Doesn’t mean I need to believe they were optimal picks.

The 2 best running backs in the league right now were 2nd round picks btw.

Not if you don't have McCaffrey as part of those 2. He may get hurt a lot but he's still top 2 easily when healthy. And if Barkley could stay healthy, he'd be top 5

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

But again, my point is, even if he was that good, people would want to skip drafting him because of position. Not because of talent. And by the way, Tomlinson was actually considered somewhat overrated by some draft gurus back in 2001 when he came out of TCU. As they can see, he wasn't overrated at all

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not saying the RB position isn't an important piece to an offense. However, Fournette played well because of Brady's elite passing threat and a great Oline. Let's face it Fournette is anything but elite. Without Brady he's probably average. Same goes for CEH. He hasn't really done much and many Chiefs fans wish they would have drafted a CB instead. The Rams have a very good running game under coach McVey. Look how good Gurley looked. 

I stand by my statement that the Bills offense doesn't need a Breece Hall. Give Allen a better Oline and a speed burner receiver. Motor and the running back by committee will do just fine. Motor looked very good when the Bills Oline changed their blocking scheme, committed to the run, and the Oline improved. I'm a big no to Hall at 25!

I think it depends who's there at 25.  I'd much rather have a WR, but if there's a run on them... I could certainly be talked into the top playmaking RB as opposed to the 6th or 7th WR.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Nice post. A reality check here. 

Beane never said he didn't think Hall was a first round talent and I would gladly take a Fournette type player on this offense. He isn't elite but he isn't a slouch either. But he's just one player. Look at all the other RBs that have gone first round and had incredible careers. I do think that a dynamic RB takes this offense to the next level. It's the one piece it's missing. Imagine the opposing defense having to gameplan against, Allen, Diggs and a dynamic RB.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Not if you don't have McCaffrey as part of those 2. He may get hurt a lot but he's still top 2 easily when healthy. And if Barkley could stay healthy, he'd be top 5

But again, my point is, even if he was that good, people would want to skip drafting him because of position. Not because of talent. And by the way, Tomlinson was actually considered somewhat overrated by some draft gurus back in 2001 when he came out of TCU. As they can see, he wasn't overrated at all

more ifs and buts. Well those two can’t stay healthy so I don’t include them with Henry and Taylor. 

2001? you realize the game, its players and coaches have evolved over 20 years right? Even if stodgy old takes like yours don’t.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Beane never said he didn't think Hall was a first round talent and I would gladly take a Fournette type player on this offense. He isn't elite but he isn't a slouch either. But he's just one player. Look at all the other RBs that have gone first round and had incredible careers. I do think that a dynamic RB takes this offense to the next level. It's the one piece it's missing. Imagine the opposing defense having to gameplan against, Allen, Diggs and a dynamic RB.

Imagine the offense with a speed burner receiver. The RB game would be just that much better. I want that ball in Allen's arms slinging the ball not handing it off or checking down.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest reason that guys like Joe B and Cover 1 are going extra on Hall seems to be that they think the Bills want Allen to not “need” to run as much. Because if his running style he’s taking a lot of hits and they are really playing with fire there. He said he’s working on sliding in the off-season but that’s a quarter of a billion dollar investment and one that 100% drives the success of the team - therefore Beane is going to keep trying to protect that asset. This would be one way that they haven’t yet been about to successfully do. Compare it to how Green Bay utilizes Aaron Jones. Rodgers is still throwing the ball for 4000 yards. It’s not about de-emphasizing the passing game.  Does it have to be Hall specifically? No, but he’s coming from a similar blocking scheme to what Kromer runs. Allen runs the ball like cam Newton. Gotta evolve if he’s going to last. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2