Help me out, what does the new defense look like?

BillsFan692

Miller is really good at stunting so I expect some interesting stunts with him and Ed because of their mobility. I hope Jerry comes back on the cheap to win with us. If he does, AJ can’t make this roster. He’s the worst guy standing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

God I'd love to see Jerry hoist a Lombardi. Considering all the ref crap he's had to deal with. From what I've read,  Settle is slightly better than Jones. Groot should be able to step up his game with Von chasing qbs back toward him. AJE just didn't pop this season and I'd try trading him with Edmunds. Phillips,  Jones and Boogie will rotate as depth. Please give your top 4 at least 60% of the snaps.

Settle and jones are much different, but both very solid players imo.  Our DL is very good now.  I think it might be the best in the league if we have Jerry too.  I have my doubts about epenesa and I think Basham will be a steady depth player.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think we'll sign Hughes or Addison and Phillips, cut Star.

Rotation looks like this.

Rousseau - Jones - Oliver - Miller 

Basham - Phillips - Settle - Hughes/Addison 

Epenesa is going to get traded is my guess.

Beane never gives up on a high draft pick that quickly and besides I think he has a long way to go and wil have a good season finally next year….

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Settle and jones are much different, but both very solid players imo.  Our DL is very good now.  I think it might be the best in the league if we have Jerry too.  I have my doubts about epenesa and I think Basham will be a steady depth player.  

Nah, we don’t have an great players in their prime even. Like Pittsburgh has Hayward and Watt and SD has two, the raiders have two even if Chandler is past his prime. Washington has four I believe… we’re not even close but it is a lot better after today….

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Miller is really good at stunting so I expect some interesting stunts with him and Ed because of their mobility. I hope Jerry comes back on the cheap to win with us. If he does, AJ can’t make this roster. He’s the worst guy standing. 

A GM has to make tough and hard choices and Jerry is nowhere near his prime, he should retire. I. Love the guy but this is business. We are in the business of winning a SB….

53 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Beane never gives up on a high draft pick that quickly and besides I think he has a long way to go and wil have a good season finally next year….

Nah, we don’t have an great players in their prime even. Like Pittsburgh has Hayward and Watt and SD has two, the raiders have two even if Chandler is past his prime. Washington has four I believe… we’re not even close but it is a lot better after today….

Yeah, other teams have more elite players We have 8-9 good players, one of which is HoF and still playing well.  He dominated the playoffs 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I really like the DL they are assembling and I would not be surprised if Jordan Phillips ends up here as well. I think this was a very good overall defense last year; however, the two areas where they really suffered was having that game changer in the pass rush and the interior of the DL against the run. I think they are exponentially better now in both areas.

In clear passing situations, they now have the ability to get consistent pressure with just the front four. Obviously, Miller gives them that game changer, Oliver and Settle provide good penetration along the interior, and Rousseau, IMO, may actually benefit the most form the addition of Miller and more interior pressure.

In the run game, both Miller and Rousseau are good against the run and the addition of Jones, Settle, and possibly Phillips, gives them the ability to really seal off the interior.

I would love to see Hughes come back (playing maybe 30-35 % of snaps) as well; however, even if he doesn't, I believe this line has become more athletic and aggressive, and has the ability to become one of the best in the league against both the pass and the rush. 

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Doubt they trade Epenesa. I don't see Basham at DE as much as DT. IMO it'll be Hughes/Epenesa as the platoon DEs. We'll see, though. It'll really depend on how they play at OTAs and in camp.

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Doubt they trade Epenesa. I don't see Basham at DE as much as DT. IMO it'll be Hughes/Epenesa as the platoon DEs. We'll see, though. It'll really depend on how they play at OTAs and in camp.

Depends on numbers imo. They might not bring in anyone else. They might keep 6 DE's like last year.

7 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Someone help me out here and tell me what you think the projection is as far as starters/backups go for our new defensive line?

I think it looks like this looking at it from Left to Right or (RT to LT) 

DE - Von Miller / Epenesa

DT - DaQuan Jones / J. Phillips

DT - Ed Oliver / Settle

DE - Groot (Takes Hughes Side) / Basham

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You know Star is still here right?

He's not going to be cut because of cap ramifications. It's cheaper to keep him...unfortunately. It would be nice for him to hit the all you can eat buffets not to mention the weight room. Last year was such a disappointment. 

Edited by fasteddie
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

He's not going to be cut because of cap ramifications. It's cheaper to keep him...unfortunately. It would be nice for him to hit the all you can eat buffets not to mention the weight room. Last year was such a disappointment. 

He played pretty well up until he got COVID, let's not have changing memories of how he played because it's been 8 months since then and you have recency bias.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why do people assume Addison or Hughes will be back but Epenesa will get traded?

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, other teams have more elite players We have 8-9 good players, one of which is HoF and still playing well.  He dominated the playoffs 

In the playoffs, Miller had Aaron Donald tying up 2 sometimes 3 blockers, we don't have an Aaron Donald.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You know Star is still here right?

Yah but if he got beat out by Harry at the end of last year he could be a healthy scratch each week with this line up but i would hope it motivates him to play better .

Or maybe Beane could get a draft pick for him maybe package him to a needy team to move up or down to get rid of the dead cap money he carries .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.