Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because not only would he not get paid, he would be fined and lose a ton of money.

It's 2022 and the NFL.  Players get what they want.

He won't show up, will get traded, and any fines will be taken care of in a contract with new team or in trade.

Not only is nobody trading for this bum but the Browns might have to give a team a draft pick just to take him lol. So that would make the total compensation for switching to Watson even more. All we've heard from Browns fans the past 4 years is how Baker was the top QB in the 2018 draft and a top 10 QB in the league. Not to mention the dumb commercials. This is karma and I'm here for it 😂

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think its more knowing the Browns have to unload him now. I'm sure his value isn't super high, but if Matt Ryan is worth a 3rd, so is Baker.

The more spots that get filled, they less options the Browns and Baker have

IMHO Baker would be worth more than that due to him being younger

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's 2022 and the NFL.  Players get what they want.

He won't show up, will get traded, and any fines will be taken care of in a contract with new team or in trade.

You just read the quote where a team asked for compensation for Baker Mayfield?  He's not a wanted commodity at all.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You just read the quote where a team asked for compensation for Baker Mayfield?  He's not a wanted commodity at all.

He is, in fairness - he’s a much better QB than the mocking on here would suggest (albeit not number one in the draft over Josh). What teams don’t want to do is pay the amount the Browns are asking for him.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

He is, in fairness - he’s a much better QB than the mocking on here would suggest (albeit not number one in the draft over Josh). What teams don’t want to do is pay the amount the Browns are asking for him.

With how QB driven the league is I think this might be teams just taking advantage of how over the barrel the Browns have positioned themselves on this.

• Agree 2

this is the Ultimate popcorn thread. It is full scale NFL DRAMA. That entire situation in Cleveland  is like a bad movie script for me though. It seems like it is only going to get muddier and more messy the longer it prolongs itself.

what a MESS they have created there. I feel for the dog pound fanbase . SMH

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

IMHO Baker would be worth more than that due to him being younger

Baker is the biggest over rated player by the media and players.  He has played on a stacked roster his entire career.  He could not succeed in Cleveland with the #1 oline, Best Rb group, one of the better Te groups, and pretty respectable wide outs.  He is not a top 15 qb to pay him like it makes 0 sense.  He is a bridge qb for Seattle and idk who else.  

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

One dark horse team I could see trading for him is Tampa, since they know they only have Brady for 1 year and I think Arians likes him. But they would need to immediately do an extension, don’t think they could take on the cap hit. 

The little cap space they got, they are not wasting on a back up qb.  Bradys last year they will be going all in to win now.  10 to 20 mil for Baker isnt happening.  

I wonder if the Browns thought there would be a market for Baker when doing the Watson trade?...  I'm sure they had an idea, but I want to think they thought they could get back a small piece of the draft capital they gave up (3rd Rounder perhaps) and are now looking at having to eat his cap hit by cutting him or sending another pick out to get rid of his contract. 

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Not only is nobody trading for this bum but the Browns might have to give a team a draft pick just to take him lol. So that would make the total compensation for switching to Watson even more. All we've heard from Browns fans the past 4 years is how Baker was the top QB in the 2018 draft and a top 10 QB in the league. Not to mention the dumb commercials. This is karma and I'm here for it 😂

Well, So far, who is without a chair in the QB game of "musical chairs"?

Panthers and Sea-snakes?

By the way, pay no attention to the massive -$67M negative cap show for the Seasnakes on Spotrac.  They have some kind of glitch in their cap table which is showing almost every player twice.  I went through with a calculator and I *think* they have about $35M of cap remaining.

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I wonder if the Browns thought there would be a market for Baker when doing the Watson trade?...  I'm sure they had an idea, but I want to think they thought they could get back a small piece of the draft capital they gave up (3rd Rounder perhaps) and are now looking at having to eat his cap hit by cutting him or sending another pick out to get rid of his contract. 

I'm gonna guess that the Browns may trade Baker with a clause that has them keeping a good portion of his 2022 salary in exchange for a pick of some sort.

Which would be a better deal for them than cutting him and keeping all the hit of his $18M fully-guaranteed 5th year option.

The question is, what team wants to trade for a pouty kid who hasn't yet shown he's "all that" as a Franchise QB, who has probably played a role in getting two different HC's fired, and who probably spurred a huge-money trade for Watson by refusing to "kiss and make up" with his current team - after walking out on his first college team and sitting out a year over some kind of "Who's #1?" dispute?

Yes, he undoubtedly has talent and will be 100% fired up to show what he can do, so there's that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right, which is why I can't imagine any team offering the Browns any premium picks in a trade.

the bigger item at play is if two teams want him and are willing to bid against each other- not as much what the browns think of him

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.