Are We Setting Ourselves Up For Disappointment?

H2o

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

With salary cap like it is I'm not expecting a big move signing. 

A lot better situation than having a mediocre roster and $40+M cap space and doing nothing, like in one of Ralph’s last tears.

• Like (+1) 1

Not expecting much.  Worst part is there are a few players at need positions for us.  Will see a bargain basement receiver with “potential” and a cheap vet defensive lineman.  Maybe Gronk is the splash.

Beane will clear cap space, but won’t mortgage the future in the process.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, H2o said:

I know we, the fans, are hype about FA. Our team is finally good again and positioned to be that way for a while. We're seeing the Bills linked to a bunch of big names and seeing reports that some have even reached out to us. We are really just an impact player or two away from hoisting a Lombardi. I can't help but think that maybe we're expecting too much and aren't going to see the big moves we were hoping for. Hope I'm wrong, but going big in FA doesn't seem like Beane/McDermott style. 

the only people upset are the armchair GM’s who think they have the answers

Beane has done a good job getting FA’s overall but 

FA can be as much as a bust as the draft. 

Sometimes you hit the lottery and sometimes you don’t.  

Bottom line

The Bills spent a lot of $ last season and are now low on $ for 2022. 

8 hours ago, H2o said:

I know we, the fans, are hype about FA. Our team is finally good again and positioned to be that way for a while. We're seeing the Bills linked to a bunch of big names and seeing reports that some have even reached out to us. We are really just an impact player or two away from hoisting a Lombardi. I can't help but think that maybe we're expecting too much and aren't going to see the big moves we were hoping for. Hope I'm wrong, but going big in FA doesn't seem like Beane/McDermott style. 

Who is this "we" ?  The Bills ended February with negative cap space.  Beane said it wouldn't be as tight as last year, and that we would look outside the roster to fill from some FA that are leaving.

Last year we signed Sanders for $6M and Trubisky for $2.5.

People who expect us to run out and sign Chandler Jones and Rob Gronkowski and trade for CMC are just nuts.  They are setting themselves up, sure.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m not expecting anything earth shattering - there won’t be any Emmanuel Sanders signings this year. 

Beane said this year would not be as tight as last year

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m not expecting much so anything we get is a bonus I think we are going to go with the status quo

We can't go with the status quo.  We have 1 1TDT and 1 3TDT on the roster (and most people want to wave "bye" to the 1T).  We have 1 CB rehabbing his ACL and a 3rd year "zone only" small guy.  We also have our LG (rehabbing an ACL) and our backup LG/C as FA

Status quo not an option

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, H2o said:

If you expect a big time signing then you are likely to be disappointed, if you just want a winning season then you are being realistic.

10 hours ago, H2o said:

We’re Bills fans. Of course we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment.

wide right

homerun throw back

13 seconds

Remember the good ol' days when Ralph Wilson and Mike Brown (Bengals) would do battle as to see who can field a team with the most cap space available😂

I'm not expecting much as far as "splash" acquisition. I expect Beane and McD to again sign competent vet players to fill positions of need while hoping they nail the draft.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol Bills need a sharpener on the sidelines...

I truly believe switching horses now could easily have a negative effect.  Who is out there that would be a guaranteed upgrade?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.