Bobby Wagner released

CDogg20

Here's the thing lost in these rumors about trading Edmunds (and possibly pouncing on a guy like Wagner)....it's not that he's a bad player, it's that he's going to cost a lot of money to resign to a long term deal.

So if you are Beane and seriously considering this type of trade this is what you get in return:

- $12 million in immediate cap space to put towards a true game changing type of player (DE)

- The ability to sign a stop gap veteran like Wagner likely to a cap friendly deal because he's going to want a chance at a ring. They are plenty of other 'plan b' type of MLB available if not him.

- At minimum in a trade you are probably looking at multiple picks including a 2nd rounder and/or veteran player at other position of need.

- Knowing you are going to have to invest $15 - $20 million per year going forward in a player that's probably reached his ceiling in this league.

Who knows what will happen but I think it's foolish to automatically dismiss any rumor out there about moving on from Edmunds for this simple fact.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

(2) Jordan Schultz on Twitter: "A massive market is developing for former #Seahawks’ All-Pro LB Bobby Wagner, league sources say. #Dolphins, #Ravens, #Chargers, #Broncos, #Rams, #Cardinals, #Niners and #Cowboys (Dan Quinn loves him but they’re short on cash) are all very interested in @Bwagz." / Twitter

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

(2) Jordan Schultz on Twitter: "A massive market is developing for former #Seahawks’ All-Pro LB Bobby Wagner, league sources say. #Dolphins, #Ravens, #Chargers, #Broncos, #Rams, #Cardinals, #Niners and #Cowboys (Dan Quinn loves him but they’re short on cash) are all very interested in @Bwagz." / Twitter

(2) Jordan Schultz on Twitter: "Other teams I’m told have interest in Bobby Wagner inc the #Jets, #Lions and #Patriots. So yeah, the All-Decade LB will have his pick of the litter, so so speak! 💰" / Twitter

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

(2) Jordan Schultz on Twitter: "Other teams I’m told have interest in Bobby Wagner inc the #Jets, #Lions and #Patriots. So yeah, the All-Decade LB will have his pick of the litter, so so speak! 💰" / Twitter

Not shocked at all to see all 3 AFCE division rivals in the mix for his services.

Broncos make sense for a number of reasons too including reunion with Wilson, Rams looking to add to their superteam as well for another one year run in 2022.

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not shocked at all to see all 3 AFCE division rivals in the mix for his services.

Broncos make sense for a number of reasons too including reunion with Wilson, Rams looking to add to their superteam as well for another one year run in 2022.

They are all thinking they are going to get him for a bargain price though.    32 year old off-ball LB's haven't been getting paid.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Wagner is a future HOF inductee that still has a few years of great football in him

Someone will pay him

He is still great and will get some good offers no doubt. He might not be looking for the highest offer though, a shot at winning another title could be a higher priority.

19 hours ago, Greg S said:

Doesn’t surprise me the Bills aren’t in on Wagner according to this report. With TBD favorites like TJ Watt and Ertz going elsewhere last season, it doesn’t seem like Beane is enamored by the splashy names. His splashiest signing, Micah Hyde, who wasn’t even an every down player in GB, was half a decade ago.

18 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Doesn’t surprise me the Bills aren’t in on Wagner according to this report. With TBD favorites like TJ Watt and Ertz going elsewhere last season, it doesn’t seem like Beane is enamored by the splashy names. His splashiest signing, Micah Hyde, who wasn’t even an every down player in GB, was half a decade ago.

Technically, Whaley signed Poyer and Hyde. 

26 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Whaley says hi

44 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Technically, Whaley signed Poyer and Hyde. 

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Whaley says hi

My fault, I thought Beane signed the safety duo. His FA record is even less impressive then.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yep. Cap can be worked. I wish that became a common sentiment. 

Just picture it. It’s the day after the Super Bowl in 2025. The Bills haven’t won one yet, but we have more cap space than Dallas and KC. Brandon Beane holds a press conference with a “Mission Accomplished” banner streaming behind him. Bills fans across the nation weep with joy. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.