Bobby Wagner released

CDogg20

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

For one, we're stuck with his cap hit. So this already makes get rid of Edmunds people clueless.

If there was a way to upgrade Edmunds I'm pretty sure everyone would be on board with that. There just isn't an easy way to upgrade.

This isn't a situation where taking on $12 million in dead cap by releasing him makes us better.

When someone like me says try to extend Edmunds to a Milano like deal we can save cap and improve the current team to win a Super Bowl. 

Wrong. a trade clears all of his cap.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Did you think the same when the Rams loaded up and won the Super Bowl? I’m not for bringing in washed up overpriced free agents….but Wagner feels a lot like Von Miller to me. No? 

They're totally different positions. Right now we're locked into Edmunds at $12 million, Milano at $10 million, and Taron Johnson was just extended.

Those are the 3 players affected by signing Wagner. The only way signing Wagner makes sense is if you move out a LB because we're not taking Johnson off the field much.

• Like (+1) 1

He will sign with the Chiefs and guys like Thurman#1 will just keep defending every single move or non-move Beane makes while acting like we aren't allowed to have opinions because we aren't employed by an NFL team. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They're totally different positions. Right now we're locked into Edmunds at $12 million, Milano at $10 million, and Taron Johnson was just extended.

Those are the 3 players affected by signing Wagner. The only way signing Wagner makes sense is if you move out a LB because we're not taking Johnson off the field much.

Wrong. a trade clears all of his cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I apologize 

My assumption is Edmunds would be traded 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Groom a mid-to-late round ILB and you're extremely likely to come up with a decent player.

In a position that McDermott clearly finds to be an extremely important one in his defense. A position that he's spent a #9 pick on in Carolina and a #16 on here in Buffalo. A mid-round guy isn't going to do it, unless you're spectacularly lucky. Which could happen, but counting on great luck isn't much of a strategy.

If the Bills sign Bobby Wagner, it probably won't be to a 1 year deal.

The mid-to-late round ILB is simply to provide depth and hope he learns from Wagner so in 2-3 years, you have a contingency plan.

Of course it's not a slam dunk, that's why they're not first round picks, but being groomed under an all-pro increases your chances.

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I hate posts like this because it makes me desperately wish for a scenario that is almost certainly not going to happen.

Haha unfortunately you're right. Trading Edmunds for a high pick is more difficult than it sounds because the team trading for him would ALSO target Bobby Wagner in free agency and would not have to give up picks. You'd have to trade Edmunds to an undesirable location like Jax that has trouble attracting Free Agents.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

For one, we're stuck with his cap hit. So this already makes get rid of Edmunds people clueless.

If there was a way to upgrade Edmunds I'm pretty sure everyone would be on board with that. There just isn't an easy way to upgrade.

This isn't a situation where taking on $12 million in dead cap by releasing him makes us better.

When someone like me says try to extend Edmunds to a Milano like deal we can save cap and improve the current team to win a Super Bowl. 

Yikes calling people clueless and being wrong on the basic facts is bold.

His contract is guaranteed but the contract goes with him.  He has zero dead cap if he is traded. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So many declarative statements. I hope people come back and eat crow. And stop name calling and stuff. What are we? 12? 

33 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yikes calling people clueless and being wrong on the basic facts is bold.

The pandemic has done more damage than we realize. Polite discourse is out. Insulting those who slightly disagree is in. We all need to remember who we're talking to: Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Is there a law that we have to run nickel as base.  Sign Wagner to 4 years, extend Edmunds (dropping this year's cap hit by 6 mil) and move him to weak side- where he belongs, then base set with a helluva trio of LB's.  

No law…… but as others have said, McD/Frazier chose to run nickel as their base and they chose to resign our NICKEL cb to a contract paying him almost 8M per year.  

So you want to pay milano, 11M, Edmunds 13-15M, Wagner 18M and Johnson 7.5am….LOL.  Never will that ever happen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.