Walter Football Mock with the Hot Take on our MLB

Richard Noggin

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Average MLB that never comes off the field? People fail to understand this. We have a 6'5 250 lb MLB that never comes off the field for a defense that has been good for many years.

Yep, average MLB that is out there every down.   

Nobody fails to understand this.........what you fail to understand apparently is that the NFL as a whole plays base nickel now.

A LOT of teams play 2 LB sets where both LB's are on the field all the time.

If anything,  the fact that that he plays so many snaps only magnifies just how few plays he makes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Basically you're trashing the entire defense. 

I think it maybe the way that Leslie is calling the defense, it seems way to conservative at times and the real good Qbs and typically pick it apart. We have had non number one defenses in that past that shut down top qbs, Schwartz defense was an example of this, and I understand we don't have the same personnel. Maybe being more aggressive with blitzes, or not playing 20 yards down the field and giving up easy 18-20 yard passes would've helped to a team that had all three timeouts, once again too conservative IMO.

Edited by billrooter

On 2/27/2022 at 1:30 PM, JaCrispy said:

Lol...Then the Bills have pretty low standards...🤣

I think they've adjusted their expectations............if he was everything they thought he would be when they used a first and second round pick to get him.........he would have been extended for top dollar a year ago.

6 minutes ago, billrooter said:

I think it maybe the way that Leslie is calling the defense, it seems way to conservative at times and the real good and typically pick it apart. We have had non number one defenses in that past that shut down top qbs, Schwartz defense was an example of this, and I understand we don't have the same personnel. Maybe being more aggressive with blitzes, or not playing 20 yards down the field and giving up easy 18-20 yard passes would've helped to a team that had all three timeouts, once again too conservative IMO.

I posted a video today of Chris Simms talking about our coverages with McDermott. It was a short comment but he says when watching film he has no idea what coverages the Bills are playing. McDermott goes on to say the players do a great job of making the game plan their own.

What I took from that is McDermott and Frazier allow the players to disguise coverages, and they do it a lot.

But here you are saying the defense is too conservative.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I posted a video today of Chris Simms talking about our coverages with McDermott. It was a short comment but he says when watching film he has no idea what coverages the Bills are playing. McDermott goes on to say the players do a great job of making the game plan their own.

What I took from that is McDermott and Frazier allow the players to disguise coverages, and they do it a lot.

But here you are saying the defense is too conservative

All defenses try an disguise coverages, how does that translate to an aggressive defense? Did you think they were aggressive against KC? It is a lot easier being aggressive against weaker qbs, maybe against good and we need to change things  that aren't working. We were much better against Brady the second half but in OT just like Machines we got carved, maybe they went to conservative, it is a balancing act.

35 minutes ago, billrooter said:

All defenses try an disguise coverages, how does that translate to an aggressive defense? Did you think they were aggressive against KC? It is a lot easier being aggressive against weaker qbs, maybe against good and we need to change things  that aren't working. We were much better against Brady the second half but in OT just like Machines we got carved, maybe they went to conservative, it is a balancing act.

I honestly can't take these conversations anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol nothing against you. I can't have conversations about how bad the defense is and why they can't shut down Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs.

I never said the defense was bad, only they benefited from a weak schedule and played a bunch of inferior Qb's. But I understand alot of teams did, the defense was trash the last two playoffs against Mahomes and company I understand they are very good, but other defenses have been successful against him.  I am hoping  Frazier/Mcdermott figure out what we need to do.  Hoping next year obviously the front 4 can tackle him when they pressure him or schematically we change something up. 

3 minutes ago, billrooter said:

I never said the defense was bad, only they benefited from a weak schedule and played a bunch of inferior Qb's. But I understand alot of teams did, the defense was trash the last two playoffs against Mahomes and company I understand they are very good, but other defenses have been successful against him.  I am hoping  Frazier/Mcdermott figure out what we need to do.  Hoping next year obviously the front 4 can tackle him when they pressure him or schematically we change something up. 

You know they averaged like 40 ppg vs afc teams in the playoffs?  They were dominating the Bengals and then just imploded.

It's one of those teams where we have to get some breaks against. 

I think what we need to focus on is getting Mahomes to come to Orchard Park in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Mission Accomplished, Walter Football. Six pages of Bills fans clicks. 

Next mock: "Bills need to draft a 3rd round QB because Josh Allen's play is not sustainable."

It’s a win for them, take the most polarizing play and zing him, clicks are coming.  

I agree the Bills better have a decent back up QB, won’t be through the draft tho.  

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep, average MLB that is out there every down.   

Nobody fails to understand this.........what you fail to understand apparently is that the NFL as a whole plays base nickel now.

A LOT of teams play 2 LB sets where both LB's are on the field all the time.

If anything,  the fact that that he plays so many snaps only magnifies just how few plays he makes.

If Edmunds is average (per your words), please list 15 other MLBs that are better than he is.....

I would not say he is average, Bills would have no way picked up his 5th yr option if they thought he was just average.  He's not in the class of Darius or Fred, but IMO in that next tier...again with a DL that has failed to stop the run for countless seasons and can't get to the QB (sacks, not counting this phantom pressure stat). Playmaking abilities of Milano were also not at the same clip as prior years, to me pointing to either scheme or lack of defensive pressure.

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

If Edmunds is average (per your words), please list 15 other MLBs that are better than he is.....

I would not say he is average, Bills would have no way picked up his 5th yr option if they thought he was just average.  He's not in the class of Darius or Fred, but IMO in that next tier...again with a DL that has failed to stop the run for countless seasons and can't get to the QB (sacks, not counting this phantom pressure stat). Playmaking abilities of Milano were also not at the same clip as prior years, to me pointing to either scheme or lack of defensive pressure.

I've done this before..........and don't need to do it for every dick and Harry that bobs up...........since you know better, why don't YOU list the top 15 ILB/MLB's.............and make note that if you don't know the players........it will be pretty obvious if you are using pro-sports-reference to figure out what position they play.........because they are often listed WRONG.

Edmunds got passed by a number of players this year..........DeVondre Campbell, Nick Bolton, Logan Wilson and Denzell Perryman just to name a few you've probably never heard of.......3 of those guys are in the AFC.........where the pickin's at the devalued position have been slim for years which has greatly skewed perception of Edmunds to his benefit.........when he wasn't in the class of the NFC studs at the position.

When the Bills picked up his 5th year option last spring I suspect they weren't expecting him to regress this season,   which he did.   

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've done this before..........and don't need to do it for every dick and Harry that bobs up...........since you know better, why don't YOU list the top 15 ILB/MLB's.............and make note that if you don't know the players........it will be pretty obvious if you are using pro-sports-reference to figure out what position they play.........because they are often listed WRONG.

Edmunds got passed by a number of players this year..........DeVondre Campbell, Nick Bolton, Logan Wilson and Denzell Perryman just to name a few you've probably never heard of.......3 of those guys are in the AFC.........where the pickin's at the devalued position have been slim for years which has greatly skewed perception of Edmunds to his benefit.........when he wasn't in the class of the NFC studs at the position.

When the Bills picked up his 5th year option last spring I suspect they weren't expecting him to regress this season,   which he did.   

Well I'm not the one just calling him average, now am I.  Be glad to discuss the merits of the MLB position, I find it funny your first comment is to question my knowledge.  Some original message board stuff right there.

Nick Bolton and Denzell Perryman, seriously?  Bolton progressed well and finished strong, but was not asked to do what Edmunds does in our defense.  He is instinctive for a rookie, but has athletic limitations and isn't going to run lateral/carry the coverage zones like Tremaine does. Perryman is not a gifted coverage linebacker, he would be considered a weak link as a coverage LB by many.  Perryman is actually unlikely to resign with Raiders, due to his limitations in that regard.  There's 2 you can cross off the list.  What redeeming quality do these 2 players possess, that would prompt you to say they would be better in our defensive scheme than Edmunds?

I'm sorry you feel more educated around these parts, but Edmunds is not just an average player.  He's also not Darius or Fred, but I'd put him in the tier right after.  

We play some of the most cover 2/cover 4 looks across the league, preventing big plays.  It puts a HUGE amount of coverage responsibility on him and Milano.  Chiefs much different style, aka why the Nick Bolton comparison is horrible.  He's not near the athlete McDermott looks for (maybe Willie Gay, but not Nick).  You should try to understand our defensive philosophy, if you disagree with that..so be it.  But that is unlikely to change anytime soon. 

And to your last point, did Milano not regress this season as well?  IMO, the defensive line was weak.  Corners were slow, once Tre was injured, and forced even more cover 2/cover 4 looks against most opponents...put even more burden on Edmunds and Milano in that respect.  Can't look at this in a silo, many factors influenced both of our LB play.  And plain/simple, we played some very low quality QBs this season, the high defensive rank was not sustained against high quality competition.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you've done it before, then it really shouldn't be too big of a deal to find the post where you've done it and link it here

I'll start performing for you when you start throwing me treats.

Wipe my slate clean or acknowledge that I am the all-time scoring leader in TSW history.  :beer:

42 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Well I'm not the one just calling him average, now am I.  Be glad to discuss the merits of the MLB position, I find it funny your first comment is to question my knowledge.  Some original message board stuff right there.

Nick Bolton and Denzell Perryman, seriously?  Bolton progressed well and finished strong, but was not asked to do what Edmunds does in our defense.  He is instinctive for a rookie, but has athletic limitations and isn't going to run lateral/carry the coverage zones like Tremaine does. Perryman is not a gifted coverage linebacker, he would be considered a weak link as a coverage LB by many.  Perryman is actually unlikely to resign with Raiders, due to his limitations in that regard.  There's 2 you can cross off the list.  What redeeming quality do these 2 players possess, that would prompt you to say they would be better in our defensive scheme than Edmunds?

I'm sorry you feel more educated around these parts, but Edmunds is not just an average player.  He's also not Darius or Fred, but I'd put him in the tier right after.  

We play some of the most cover 2/cover 4 looks across the league, preventing big plays.  It puts a HUGE amount of coverage responsibility on him and Milano.  Chiefs much different style, aka why the Nick Bolton comparison is horrible.  He's not near the athlete McDermott looks for (maybe Willie Gay, but not Nick).  You should try to understand our defensive philosophy, if you disagree with that..so be it.  But that is unlikely to change anytime soon. 

And to your last point, did Milano not regress this season as well?  IMO, the defensive line was weak.  Corners were slow, once Tre was injured, and forced even more cover 2/cover 4 looks against most opponents...put even more burden on Edmunds and Milano in that respect.  Can't look at this in a silo, many factors influenced both of our LB play.  And plain/simple, we played some very low quality QBs this season, the high defensive rank was not sustained against high quality competition.

Blah Blah Blah...........that's a lot of yapping to avoid making a simple, ordered list.

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'll start performing for you when you start throwing me treats.

Wipe my slate clean or acknowledge that I am the all-time scoring leader in TSW history.  :beer:

Blah Blah Blah...........that's a lot of yapping to avoid making a simple, ordered list.

what's good for the goose is good for the gander. You cant be bothered to back up your own smack but fully  expect others to. I would call that...whats the word......WEAK. You type as if you are some legend or something.. You Really DO  need to get over yourself. geez.... 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Honestly the position is different now. 

I'de probably put Leonard alone at 1 and then a big gap between him and the next guy. No one really dominates the game in the middle like past players have. 

Fred Warner is a favorite of mine. Smith for the Bears. Bobby Wagner still can play at a high level.

2 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

If the Bills move on from Edmunds, which player will become the next magnet for irrational fan vitriol? Nominations? The vacuum must be filled.

Knox shut up fans for a year. But he's a candidate. 

Crazy as it sounds, the punter. Haack is the likely candidate.

Edmunds still has a year to go however. I understand now though, there's not much to complain about. I get it now. Fans have to always have something to complain about.

6 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

If the Bills move on from Edmunds, which player will become the next magnet for irrational fan vitriol? Nominations? The vacuum must be filled.

Whoever gets paid $13m a year to basically be a large scarecrow.  Dawkins rightfully was the magnet this year until his play drastically improved at end of year.  

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But here you are saying the defense is too conservative.

The Bills are towards the more vanilla end of the scale up front and that is the bit that is easier for fans to see - we can all see a stunt, or an exotic blitz, because that is where the camera is on most plays. They are about the least vanilla, most creative, exotic and complex teams in the league on the back end of the defense with their coverages. The problem is that fans don't see that because the secondary isn't always where the camera is focused.

18 hours ago, billrooter said:

There are very few that disguise and mix coverages as well or as much as the Bills. 

As for getting carved by Brady in overtime... yep... on a play where they blitzed. They were too aggressive there not too passive. Indeed a large number of the big back breaking plays the Bills gave up on defense this year came against the blitz. 

21 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I thought they were better than their numbers late in 2020 when Milano and Edmunds got healthy...........but they played a dynamic schedule of offenses and that's the main reason they dropped off dramatically from the statistical standpoint.

I agree they were better than their rankings in 2020 when they were 14th and slightly worse than their ranking in 2021 when they were 1st. I do think they are a top 5 defense overall. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2022 at 4:54 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

It started with Nate Peterman. Like what the hell was that about? Mike Tolbert? Seriously? The guy played way too much. Vlad Ducasse, just was so terrible and worse and worse every week, but he stayed in there. Ramon Humber, Jordan Mills. Philip Gaines, Marshall Newhouse, John Miller. Then came Trent Murphy and Jon Feliciano. Who needs Wyatt Teller when you have Jeremiah Sirles and Brian Winters?

While I don't necessarily disagree some of your examples are a bit off. Marshall Newhouse never played a regular season game for the Bills, signed in March, traded in September after pre-season. Philip Gaines was signed in an off-season and played in only 6 games before being cut. Mike Tolbert was here one year, only played 4 times after week 9 of that year and only got more than 4 carries twice after week 4. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Honestly the position is different now. 

I'de probably put Leonard alone at 1 and then a big gap between him and the next guy. No one really dominates the game in the middle like past players have. 

Fred Warner is a favorite of mine. Smith for the Bears. Bobby Wagner still can play at a high level.

Yeah if the position WASN'T different how do you suppose the uninstinctive Edmunds would look playing it?   The only part of his game ANYONE thinks is extraordinary is his mystical presence in pass coverage(despite his approx 110 combined passer rating against the past 2 seasons).

The reality is that most of the people who think Edmunds is a top of the league ILB/MLB do it because they just don't even know who most of the players are who man the positions around the league.  

You can't even begin a list of top ILB's without both Lavonte David and Devin Smith of Tampa.    DeVondre Campbell was first team All Pro..........you don't think he's better than Edmunds right now?   Demario Davis also an All Pro......and he ain't a new addition to the list of top ILB's.  

Beyond the vets and the 3 guys from Edmunds own draft class that have left him in the dust..........he's also got passed by a number of instinctive, young LB's the past couple of seasons..........he's been stuck in neutral...........and that's steadily decreased the impact he makes as teams exploit his weaknesses.........if you aren't getting better you are getting worse.

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah if the position WASN'T different how do you suppose the uninstinctive Edmunds would look playing it?   The only part of his game ANYONE thinks is extraordinary is his mystical presence in pass coverage(despite his approx 110 combined passer rating against the past 2 seasons).

The reality is that most of the people who think Edmunds is a top of the league ILB/MLB do it because they just don't even know who most of the players are who man the positions around the league.  

You can't even begin a list of top ILB's without both Lavonte David and Devin Smith of Tampa.    DeVondre Campbell was first team All Pro..........you don't think he's better than Edmunds right now?   Demario Davis also an All Pro......and he ain't a new addition to the list of top ILB's.  

Beyond the vets and the 3 guys from Edmunds own draft class that have left him in the dust..........he's also got passed by a number of instinctive, young LB's the past couple of seasons..........he's been stuck in neutral...........and that's steadily decreased the impact he makes as teams exploit his weaknesses.........if you aren't getting better you are getting worse.

People are down on Devin White this season. David is a WLB like Milano.

Demario Davis is interesting since he was called a bum early in his career. Davis has turned into a very good MLB. He's a bit old school. He'll smack you.

Campbell on his 3rd team in 3 years. Had a nice year.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

People are down on Devin White this season. David is a WLB like Milano.

Demario Davis is interesting since he was called a bum early in his career. Davis has turned into a very good MLB. He's a bit old school. He'll smack you.

Campbell on his 3rd team in 3 years. Had a nice year.

You see this is why I think many of the Edmunds defenders just have a vague grasp of the other players at ILB/MLB.

Devin White had another very good season.........he's better than Edmunds, no doubt.........you are thinking about the other off-ball high selection LB named Devin.........Devin Bush, who struggled returning from injury.

David is not a WLB.........he plays in a 3-4 not a 4-3........his responsibilities are different than either Edmunds or Milano but he is absolutely an ILB.

Demario Davis has been good for a number of years now..........he wasn't the All Pro that he is now early in his career but that was a LONG time ago.

Campbell had a tremendous year..........1st team All Pro in a league where there is a fairly obvious group of studs at the position.........none of which are Tremaine Edmunds.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You see this is why I think many of the Edmunds defenders just have a vague grasp of the other players at ILB/MLB.

Devin White had another very good season.........he's better than Edmunds, no doubt.........you are thinking about the other off-ball high selection LB named Devin.........Devin Bush, who struggled returning from injury.

David is not a WLB.........he plays in a 3-4 not a 4-3........his responsibilities are different than either Edmunds or Milano but he is absolutely an ILB.

Demario Davis has been good for a number of years now..........he wasn't the All Pro that he is now early in his career but that was a LONG time ago.

Campbell had a tremendous year..........1st team All Pro in a league where there is a fairly obvious group of studs at the position.........none of which are Tremaine Edmunds.

According to people that study Devin White he struggled this season.

David was a career WOLB, so the change must be recent. Haven't cared enough to study Buccaneer defense in a while. David is one of my favorite players. Probably the best cover LB in the history of the game imo. 

On 3/3/2022 at 10:14 AM, GunnerBill said:

The Bills are towards the more vanilla end of the scale up front and that is the bit that is easier for fans to see - we can all see a stunt, or an exotic blitz, because that is where the camera is on most plays.

One of the reasons the Bills are so vanilla up front is because Edmunds has been an unconscionably ineffective inside blitzer.    

McD used to love him so of those double A gap blitzes in Carolina...........but most great blitzers have an extraordinary sense for how the OL is going to react to them and are always one step ahead.......Edmunds has been totally devoid of that extra sense.  

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

One of the reasons the Bills are so vanilla up front is because Edmunds has been an unconscionably ineffective inside blitzer.    

McD used to love him so of those double A gap blitzes in Carolina...........but most great blitzers have an extraordinary sense for how the OL is going to react to them and are always one step ahead.......Edmunds has been totally devoid of that extra sense.  

He is a bad blitzer. Agreed. 

Opinions are cool. Lots of variance on Edmunds here at TBD to say the least.

Here’s the facts on Edmunds covered on many spectrums by cover 1. It compares him statistically and analytically to all of his peers that we are all familiar with. It’s extremely objective and fair. His improvements this past season are pretty vast, however he is also not elite. This review covers his role, his responsibility and his output. They even cover his lack of splash plays for his draft position. I highly, HIGHLY encourage all of you to watch the whole thing, from the arrogant doubters to the myopic fan boys. These are the truths that cover almost everything we’ve ever debated about the guy. It really doesn’t get any better and accurate. It even breaks down the inaccuracies in the rating systems used to measure all nfl players in zone coverage. Very educational and very well backed with fact directly from the film.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Opinions are cool. Lots of variance on Edmunds here at TBD to say the least.

Here’s the facts on Edmunds covered on many spectrums by cover 1. It compares him statistically and analytically to all of his peers that we are all familiar with. It’s extremely objective and fair. His improvements this past season are pretty vast, however he is also not elite. This review covers his role, his responsibility and his output. They even cover his lack of splash plays for his draft position. I highly, HIGHLY encourage all of you to watch the whole thing, from the arrogant doubters to the myopic fan boys. These are the truths that cover almost everything we’ve ever debated about the guy. It really doesn’t get any better and accurate. It even breaks down the inaccuracies in the rating systems used to measure all nfl players in zone coverage. Very educational and very well backed with fact directly from the film.

I posted this video last week…safe to say folks don’t want to hear anything except what reinforces their opinion😂😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/4/2022 at 11:58 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

As I've detailed in threads here .. McDermott and co still utilize the dual a gap look he leaned from Jim Johnson 

But they don't send the magic number 5-6 enough.. it's basically a decoy to make QBs count heads  

Teams spread out and keep in 5 sometimes 6 blockers .. and McDermott can't match and rush 5-6 because they usually don't get their fast enough 

Tremaine isn't a effective rusher after 4 seasons.. Klein was a better blitzer.. the threat at this point is the decoy not the blitz... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.