Russ Brandon: He's never going away

Albany,n.y.

Honestly the XFL was the best of the leagues - but until there's some kind of agreement around PS/Futures players being able to play you're severely limiting the talent pool.  Draft eligible players won't play, not an alternative to NCAAF for under 21 players.  A lot of talent is unavailable and it will always harm the end product.  

14 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33341262/xfl-petri-dish-football-innovation-prospect-development-part-partnership-agreement-nfl

The NFL-XFL agreement will give the NFL a "petri dish" to experiment with proposed rules, test new equipment and develop prospective officials and coaches, XFL president Russ Brandon told ESPN.

A Buffalo Bills executive for two decades, Brandon said NFL officials routinely discussed the need for such an outlet after NFL Europe shuttered in 2007.

"People would ask, 'What are the opportunities to look at the game through a different lens from a player development standpoint?'" Brandon told ESPN. "'How can you be an incubator or an accelerant in many different verticals, from officiating to rules innovations to playing surfaces, to player development?' You can go on and on.

The bad man can't hurt you anymore.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of jobs don't allow bosses to date employees. From everything I heard about it that's all it was. 

Where are the sexual harassment allegations?

ehhh.  i have a family member that does business with brandon, and it was more than that.  my understanding was that his relationship with another female was more than public.  apparently she would leave his hotel rooms when they traveled, and most knew what was going on.  russ has a wife and children, and kim pegula is friends with his wife.  she did not appreciate that in any way, so he was gone.   

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, teef said:

ehhh.  i have a family member that does business with brandon, and it was more than that.  my understanding was that his relationship with another female was more than public.  apparently she would leave his hotel rooms when they traveled, and most knew what was going on.  russ has a wife and children, and kim pegula is friends with his wife.  she did not appreciate that in any way, so he was gone.   

Cheating is a lot different from sexual harassment. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, chongli said:

[subscription may be required:]

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/russ-brandon-resigns-from-bills-sabres-after-internal-investigation/article_627990fe-618f-5864-8251-fb29d950d192.html

"[...] Pegula Sports and Entertainment conducted an internal investigation into Brandon's workplace behavior and allegations of personal misconduct, two sources told The Buffalo News on Tuesday.

[...]

Kim Pegula on Friday informed Brandon an internal investigation was being conducted. Two sources with knowledge of the investigation said it was triggered by allegations of inappropriate relationships with female employees.

When confronted by Kim Pegula, the sources said, Brandon denied any such relationships, but the investigation indicated he was deceitful about that and other job-related issues that were uncovered."

We call that Big Pimpin when you're not the boss 🤑

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

"People would ask, 'What are the opportunities to look at the game through a different lens from a player development standpoint?'" Brandon told ESPN. "'How can you be an incubator or an accelerant in many different verticals, from officiating to rules innovations to playing surfaces, to player development?' You can go on and on."

Lol, this wind bag of middle management speak.  

He has always been a guy who sounds like he is fresh out of a management 101 course at a local college who tries to sound impressive by crowbarring as many terms as possible into everything.

And he "sold us" nothing.  The lawless party atmosphere and cheap tickets sold the games.  

This post made me laugh.  I have never seen this Brandon quote before now, but it reminded me of a running joke I had with a co-worker.  We had a sales rep from one of our vendors who used the word "verticals" in every other sentence.  We had a running wager on how many times she would use that word whenever we had a meeting or call with her.  She never disappointed.  But "incubator" and "accelerant" are pretty good.  Let's throw in some "throughput," "collaboration," and "deliverables" while we think "outside of the box."

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What's the over/under on an XFL cheerleader filing a harassment suit against Brandon?  Some people should just go away, never to be heard from again.

Will he be required to wear a stitched nameplate across the back of his suit coat that reads, 'She Hate Me'?

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, teef said:

it is.  especially when you're cheating on the friend of the owner's wife.  he was arrogant and it completely caught up with him.

RB: "I am Buffalo football!"

PS&E:  "You were, 'Frisky'." 🤨

RB:  "Call me at my New Era office."

NECC: "Wut?!"

55 minutes ago, teef said:

Im close friends with someone who worked in the FO in the early 00s... even in his actual Director of Marketing days and the rumblings around the office was he was relating with a secretary (who was/is like a 4/10).  I knew of this long before the business with PS&E and that news didn't surprise us.  

Edited by May Day 10

15 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I think this article is far more noteworthy for the partnership between the NFL and XFL to test out rules and equipment innovation than it is for the mention of Russ Brandon.

You should consider changing the title and mentioning the XFL or I predict that a duplicate post will happen.

If the USFL wants to be the NFL's guinea pig and share data with them, I'm sure the NFL would be interested!

The way the USFL will survive is not through straight up competition with the NFL as a claimed equal, but by finding their own niche and living in peaceful harmony with the NFL.

I.E., the USFL makes sense as an NFL developmental league.

NFL has never had, and badly needs, a minor developmental league IMO....if for nothing other than developing the QB position.

Testing new rules and game concepts would be interesting.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If the USFL wants to be the NFL's guinea pig and share data with them, I'm sure the NFL would be interested!

The way the USFL will survive is not through straight up competition with the NFL as a claimed equal, but by finding their own niche and living in peaceful harmony with the NFL.

I.E., the USFL makes sense as an NFL developmental league.

NFL has never had, and badly needs, a minor developmental league IMO....if for nothing other than developing the QB position.

Testing new rules and game concepts would be interesting.

It also doesn't hurt the USFL to have investment from both Fox and NBC. They want that content and aren't going to throw the towel in quickly. I've mentioned before the AAF and XFL actually had reasonable ratings. Everybody on Twitter made light of the drop after a top 3 debut but they settled into where at least one game was in the Top 10 each week. In many cases they had more viewers than some college and NBA games, and way more than the NHL.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.