Growing speculation that Stephen Ross might be forced to sell Dolphins(EDIT: Has succession plan in place to cede controlling interest to Bruce Beal if need be)

Big Turk

1 minute ago, Billy Claude said:

In Flores first year he called an all out blitz against the Steelers on a 3rd and 20 at midfield with 20 sec left in the first half.  A lot people said that was proof that Flores was tanking.  Maybe he got paid for it too.

That’s not really the narrative Flores is hoping to create with this though.

He doesn’t want league, media and fans going back to every single play that didn’t work over 3 seasons and say “see there’s proof he was tanking”

If that is what we are going to do someone go check The Bills D and Special Teams coordinators bank accounts.

Flora’s wants the narrative to be I was bribed and I refused and I was then treated differently and fired for it.

• Agree 1

Flores has to have tangible evidence other than a one on one conversation.  NFL will land in court if they try to force Ross to sell prior this lawsuit going to court.  More I read of this the more I think Flores is a guy with a chip on his shoulder.  Burning bridges on any coaching career.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It would only be a crime if Ross directly bet on games. Investing in a sports gambling company while trying to tank your team is not a conflict of interest. If it was, being a team owner would itself be a conflict of interest.

Or if he gave said info to those betting…. Fixing or attempted fixing of a game that has people wagering on its outcome is likely a crime…

54 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I wonder though... Everything I posted was things that Flores did that many people said made no sense at the time. 

But maybe it was his way of trying to make that (losing) happen? He certainly didn't stand up and say something at the time. 

A HC "trying to lose" would actually be pretty hard to do, especially not making it too obvious. Like I said, the assistant coaches making peanuts who are trying to work their way up the ladder are not going to go along with it, nor are the players. 

I don't think a HC trying to lose would be difficult at all. Say Miami is playing Buffalo. Flores goes to his DC and says I want a little more concentration on the Bills running game this week. Even 20 percent more than they usually gave it and it takes away from preperation from Allen and the passing game. I believe that would be a big deal come Sunday.

Edited by Beast

Flores wins if this happens.  I believe Flores' career was already in danger because Ross was backstabbing / ratfudging him with the other owners; Flores was about to be blackballed out of the league.  But if he can make Ross lose his team on the way out, then Flores will have gotten his vengeance.

The "NFL is racist" stuff was just to draw as many eyeballs as possible to the situation in Miami and Flores' accusations.  Flores may very well believe it but it's not his primary motive.  As they way, "all politics is personal", and in this case there is a personal vendetta between Flores and Ross.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

He doesn’t want league, media and fans going back to every single play that didn’t work over 3 seasons and say “see there’s proof he was tanking”

If that is what we are going to do someone go check The Bills D and Special Teams coordinators bank accounts.

Flora’s wants the narrative to be I was bribed and I refused and I was then treated differently and fired for it.

I agreed that this doesn't help Flores' lawsuit but it would certainly hurt Ross and it was definitely a move nobody understood at the time.

Edited by Billy Claude

Ross could loose more than the team. He was the owner of a sports betting business at the time of this (see link below). If they can prove he was paying to throw games while running a sports betting business that stood to make $ on those losses, that's a federal racketeering indictment & a possible prison term. Long way to go to get evidence to prove it. But w/ NFL getting into the gambling business this could get to be an issue pretty quickly.

https://www.yogonet.com/international/news/2019/11/29/51709-nfl-39s-miami-dolphins-39-owner-stephen-ross-invests-in-sports-betting-startup

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I wonder though... Everything I posted was things that Flores did that many people said made no sense at the time. 

But maybe it was his way of trying to make that (losing) happen? He certainly didn't stand up and say something at the time. 

A HC "trying to lose" would actually be pretty hard to do, especially not making it too obvious. Like I said, the assistant coaches making peanuts who are trying to work their way up the ladder are not going to go along with it, nor are the players.

That's basically every HC we had during the drought.

We are winning, let's do something different than what got us winning in the first place. 

They adjusted to the defense we were running, keep running it until it works. 

We ran really well when they showed this look for 3 1/2 qtrs, let's pass instead. 

I don't think it would be that hard to do. 

Edited by The Wiz

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His lawyers say he has corroborating witnesses. The question of course is whether they are willing to risk their careers speaking out? The NFL tends to close ranks on perceived trouble makers even if they are justified. 

they gave the Saints whistle blower a job in the league office

2 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Ross could loose more than the team. He was the owner of a sports betting business at the time of this (see link below). If they can prove he was paying to throw games while running a sports betting business that stood to make $ on those losses, that's a federal racketeering indictment & a possible prison term. Long way to go to get evidence to prove it. But w/ NFL getting into the gambling business this could get to be an issue pretty quickly.

https://www.yogonet.com/international/news/2019/11/29/51709-nfl-39s-miami-dolphins-39-owner-stephen-ross-invests-in-sports-betting-startup

even if he didn’t make money off it, fixing sports games isn’t legal 

Good Lord Florio.  I just read the yahoo story I didn't see the pregame report Sunday.  Not buying this at all.  

The NFL is being charged (again) with essentially systemic racism by Flores.

Not a good look to be seen as ignoring his charges by not reporting on the developments in his lawsuit.  

The NFL's legal team in response to a question about the league potentially being seen as "burying" all stories involving Flores and his lawsuit: 

"Um......let's be a bit proactive here; just put all the reports on NFL.com.  When this is over we need to at least have made it clear ANY talk of tanking is unacceptable and we will even force you to sell!"  *Lawyers chest bump Goodell*

This just makes zero sense.  When franchise resets happen you don't think it isn't discussed at all - draft position - it's not even mentioned "we're gonna suck in year 1, which is fine because the top pick is Joe Burrow.  Hmmm."  

Give me a freaking break Florio.  Yes I do think it was probably a comment made as a joke because rich entitled out of touch owner gives zero f..s.  And the very well respected coach says "yes I'm definitely in the right place with the right culture.  This will end well."  

100K for every loss.  Lol yea Brian and I'm sure you weren't laughing it up to.  Say the team goes 2-14. "Thanks Brian great job!  Here is 1.4 million dollars - I'll send it to your venmo."  Yea Ross was completely serious about that 100K - even if a joke in discussing #1 picks - you open up a massive can of worms on oh I'm going to guess around 15 to 25 GMs and maybe other owners to.  

• Dislike 1

19 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

If the alleged offer from Ross came during the 2019 season, it had no impact on the outcome if Flores "refused".  The Fins still got the 2nd QB in the draft after Burrow--clearly the guy they wanted (maybe Flores excluded.

Then they play 2 full seasons......and then Ross fires Flores for "refusing to throw games" 2 years ago, despite it having no affect on their draft outcome?

17 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Not sure why people are still confusing this.  Flores's whole suit is that NO games were thrown, because he refused to go along with the scheme--so he says.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.