Growing speculation that Stephen Ross might be forced to sell Dolphins(EDIT: Has succession plan in place to cede controlling interest to Bruce Beal if need be)

Big Turk

17 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Yes, they’re related. Can’t you tell?

The update is likely referring to Bruce Beal who is the Dolphins’ Vice Chairman/Partner

No I have no idea who Bruce Beal is. I couldn’t find in the thread where the news was and too lazy to Google. I was like Bradley Beal wut

58 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I’m still not understanding how a rejected “bribe” of a coach would affect any games outcome.  Yiu are now referring to the criminal legal jeopardy Ross may be in for even making the offer, which may be true, but a different matter. 

none of that could possibly affect the outcome of any game. Maybe you are claiming he successfully bribed another coach? Players? Is this what you are referring to with “the investigation “, and what it will reveal?

Flores claim of being offered $100k to lose a game sounds alot like a bribe to lose the game.  Flores was in a position to affect the outcome of the game and Ross allegedly offered to pay him per game to lose.  There is grey area in where does an effort cross from the frowned upon, but legal, "tanking", into the illegal "bribe" category.  Given that the incentive was offered off contract, on a per game basis, I think it could qualify.

Flores' rejecting the bribe has no impact with respect to what was allegedly offered by Ross.  Maybe you don't understand that the act of attempting to influence a game with a bribe is illegal under the sports betting act of 1964, whether the bribe was accepted or not.  The only question to be answered would be if the act was committed as Flores described and if the act constitutes a bribe.  Given the current information available I'd be surprised if he's actually charged with anything, but the possibility is there.

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No I have no idea who Bruce Beal is. I couldn’t find in the thread where the news was and too lazy to Google. I was like Bradley Beal wut

He is a minority owner in the Dolphins currently and also a business partner of Ross

• Big Turk changed the title to Growing speculation that Stephen Ross might be forced to sell Dolphins(EDIT: Has succession plan in place to cede controlling interest to Bruce Beal if need be)
2 hours ago, syhuang said:

Yes, public against Ross is a possiblity. Again, it doesn't need any game outcome was actually affected or any one actually suffered any loss as long as Ross indeed attempted it.  Read the following again especially the "attempt" keyword highlighted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

§224. Bribery in sporting contests

(a) Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commerce to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge that the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contest, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

(b) This section shall not be construed as indicating an intent on the part of Congress to occupy the field in which this section operates to the exclusion of a law of any State, territory, Commonwealth, or possession of the United States, and no law of any State, territory, Commonwealth, or possession of the United States, which would be valid in the absence of the section shall be declared invalid, and no local authorities shall be deprived of any jurisdiction over any offense over which they would have jurisdiction in the absence of this section.

(c) As used in this section-

(1) The term "scheme in commerce" means any scheme effectuated in whole or in part through the use in interstate or foreign commerce of any facility for transportation or communication;

(2) The term "sporting contest" means any contest in any sport, between individual contestants or teams of contestants (without regard to the amateur or professional status of the contestants therein), the occurrence of which is publicly announced before its occurrence;

(3) The term "person" means any individual and any partnership, corporation, association, or other entity.

.  By “public case” do mean as in The People vs Ross—a criminal case?

if not, and you are talking about a law suit, who is the plaintiff? What damage would they claim?

1 hour ago, Rew said:

Flores claim of being offered $100k to lose a game sounds alot like a bribe to lose the game.  Flores was in a position to affect the outcome of the game and Ross allegedly offered to pay him per game to lose.  There is grey area in where does an effort cross from the frowned upon, but legal, "tanking", into the illegal "bribe" category.  Given that the incentive was offered off contract, on a per game basis, I think it could qualify.

Flores' rejecting the bribe has no impact with respect to what was allegedly offered by Ross.  Maybe you don't understand that the act of attempting to influence a game with a bribe is illegal under the sports betting act of 1964, whether the bribe was accepted or not.  The only question to be answered would be if the act was committed as Flores described and if the act constitutes a bribe.  Given the current information available I'd be surprised if he's actually charged with anything, but the possibility is there.

You clearly above mentioned a public lawsuit could be possible based on his relationship with a gambling company, Flores’’s claims and the effect “on the outcome of games”.  You try  explain how Ross’s rebuffed alleged bribe could possibly affect the outcome of a game and therefore be the basis for a “public lawsuit”…..by saying Ross may have committed a crime.  Makes no sense. 

No one is going to sue Ross for offering a bribe (except Flores) to tank. 

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

.  By “public case” do mean as in The People vs Ross—a criminal case?

if not, and you are talking about a law suit, who is the plaintiff? What damage would they claim?

A criminal case is definitely more likely if that happens. On the other hand, anyone with too much money and/or time can bring up a lawsuit against Ross by whatever reason he can think of like claiming loss from betting lines/odds. These days people can sue others by any kind of reasons if they like. It may not stand after all but doesn't stop those ridiculous suits.

But anyway, the point is that there is a ground for a lawsuit against Ross (and yes, a criminal case is more likely) and that's probably the only way to find out the detail of the supposed bribery.

Edited by syhuang

3 hours ago, syhuang said:

A criminal case is definitely more likely if that happens. On the other hand, anyone with too much money and/or time can bring up a lawsuit against Ross by whatever reason he can think of like claiming loss from betting lines/odds. These days people can sue others by any kind of reasons if they like. It may not stand after all but doesn't stop those ridiculous suits.

But anyway, the point is that there is a ground for a lawsuit against Ross (and yes, a criminal case is more likely) and that's probably the only way to find out the detail of the supposed bribery.

No, there is no grounds for a lawsuit.  a plaintiff would have to state a claim.  What claim would they make?  Ross bribed Flores to tank...but there was no actual bribe and no tank?  What damage would a plaintiff claim.  What relief would they be seeking?

Filing a lawsuit is just that.  Ross would have much better lawyers than Joe Blow plaintiff and would get this dismissed on these grounds. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

No, there is no grounds for a lawsuit.  a plaintiff would have to state a claim.  What claim would they make?  Ross bribed Flores to tank...but there was no actual bribe and no tank?  What damage would a plaintiff claim.  What relief would they be seeking?

Filing a lawsuit is just that.  Ross would have much better lawyers than Joe Blow plaintiff and would get this dismissed on these grounds. 

A criminal charge is still a lawsuit. Basically a criminal case is a lawsuit brought by the state, usually filed by the district attorney, which represents the state.

This is getting into semantics territory. It looks like when you say "lawsuit", you only refer to "civil lawsuit" and exclude criminal charge. Let's just agree there is definitely a ground for criminal charge. We can then agree to disagree whether a criminal charge is a lawsuit.

As for whether civil lawsuits get a chance, I'd say the chance is low, but can't definitely say there is 0 chance. Again, let's just agree to disagree on that.

The point still remains, that there is a ground for a (criminal case) lawsuit against Ross and that's probably the only way to find out the detail of the supposed bribery.

Edited by syhuang

45 minutes ago, syhuang said:

A criminal charge is still a lawsuit. Basically a criminal case is a lawsuit brought by the state, usually filed by the district attorney, which represents the state.

This is getting into semantics territory. It looks like when you say "lawsuit", you only refer to "civil lawsuit" and exclude criminal charge. Let's just agree there is definitely a ground for criminal charge. We can then agree to disagree whether a criminal charge is a lawsuit.

As for whether civil lawsuits get a chance, I'd say the chance is low, but can't definitely say there is 0 chance. Again, let's just agree to disagree on that.

The point still remains, that there is a ground for a (criminal case) lawsuit against Ross and that's probably the only way to find out the detail of the supposed bribery.

the other poster brought up a lawsuit, which is a civil legal action. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the other poster brought up a lawsuit, which is a civil legal action. 

Glad we iron out the part that there is a ground for a (criminal case) lawsuit against Ross and that's probably the only way to find out the detail of the supposed bribery.

19 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Glad we iron out the part that there is a ground for a (criminal case) lawsuit against Ross and that's probably the only way to find out the detail of the supposed bribery.

this discussion wasn't about criminal jeopardy.  Poster Rew brought up a civil lawsuit.  I said it was baseless--especially because there was no impact on the outcomes of games (his argument).  You went off on his tangent.

46 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

this discussion wasn't about criminal jeopardy.  Poster Rew brought up a civil lawsuit.  I said it was baseless--especially because there was no impact on the outcomes of games (his argument).  You went off on his tangent.

Okay, but glad we agree on the criminal charge lawsuit part and agree to disagree on whether all civil lawsuit will be 100% tossed out.

Edited by syhuang

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who would be the plaintiff in a civil lawsuit and what will be their claim?

We already went through this and we're in a loop now. In the end, you said Ross has better lawyers and will get any civil lawsuit dismissed. While I agree the chance of civil lawsuit is low, I wouldn't claim 100% any lawsuit will be tossed out.

No need to repeat the whole thing again, you can go through the posts yesterday. Anyway, glad we agree on the criminal charge lawsuit part and agree to disagree on whether all civil lawsuit will be 100% tossed out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.