Bills in Germany next season?

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Bills were left out of the NFL's international marketing assignments. You'd assume Canada but we didn't even get that.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-awards-international-marketing-rights-to-18-teams-in-eight-countries

The Bills care not, because the Bills have

🎶Chris-tee-an  Wade 🎵

image.gif.202b2fdf0cc9a52eed5483500acb954a.gif

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Under no circumstances will Bills Pats* or Bills Chiefs be going to Europe. Those will be 2 of the highest rated games of the year, no way the networks want either of those on a Sunday morning instead of primetime or at least 4 pm.

yep agreed . Daughter lives in Berlin so hoping next few years.  Think we have the NFC east in 2023 possibly then. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Do they have a choice? Honest question. Because if the league wants to market the nfl in a new country they want to use stars. 

Considering the game is almost certainly going to be a Sunday night game, I can't see the NFL choosing to ship one of the biggest TV drawing games to Europe.  If the Chiefs are playing in Germany and losing a home game, it's likely either vs Jacksonville or Seattle (especially if Wilson is traded away) 

51 minutes ago, Malazan said:

You want to sell the NFL overseas.. you're gonna have to really invest

Not when they can get away sending a scrub team to Europe. 

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Considering the game is almost certainly going to be a Sunday night game, I can't see the NFL choosing to ship one of the biggest TV drawing games to Europe.  If the Chiefs are playing in Germany and losing a home game, it's likely either vs Jacksonville or Seattle (especially if Wilson is traded away) 

I went to the Bills game at Wembley. It was PACKED! And....a ton of fun. Not sure where all this Debbie Downer stuff comes from.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

They can get away with it, sure.. we're talking about trying to make the NFL a thing over there and that's not gonna happen with a couple scrub teams once a year. Sending a scrub game over there gets them what they have now. They sell out, it's a novelty. If that's the goal then sure they can 'get away with it', but their goal seems to be more than that. 

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I went to the Bills game at Wembley. It was PACKED! And....a ton of fun. Not sure where all this Debbie Downer stuff comes from.

What Debbie Downer stuff?  When the Bills were at Wembley they weren't very good & the place was still packed.  That's my point: The NFL is not taking one of the top 5 games of the season & shipping it to Europe when the TV audience will be one of the top rated games of the season.  

1 minute ago, Malazan said:

They can get away with it, sure.. we're talking about trying to make the NFL a thing over there and that's not gonna happen with a couple scrub teams once a year. Sending a scrub game over there gets them what they have now. They sell out, it's a novelty. If that's the goal then sure they can 'get away with it', but their goal seems to be more than that. 

Does it?  The logistics of putting a team in Europe are difficult at best.  So what's their goal other than to get more fans interested & sell some merchandise?  They don't need to send one of the top games of the year over there & they won't.  Bills at Chiefs will either be Sunday night or Thanksgiving night.   

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

You want to sell the NFL overseas.. you're gonna have to really invest

Current interest in the NFL in Germany is much less than this board's interest in the Budesliga, if that helps put things in perspective.

Of course, that is precisely what the NFL is trying to change.

But man, that's a long road to hoe.

Gary Bettman has been ruining NHL hockey for 30 years trying to make the sport appeal to those who do not care about it, while at the same time ruining it for those who do.

I fear the NFL could go down a similar path.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

The NFL keeps trying to make NFL Europe a thing on the cheap.  

IMO, the OG NFL Europe that was in operation from 1991-2007 would have been more financially successful if they kept all the teams in Germany.  The Germans enjoyed NFL Europe and watched the games and grew real fan bases.  

The NFL will always pick breaking into the markets they want over developing the markets they have.  

5 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

The NFL will always pick breaking into the markets they want over developing the markets they have.  

You would think they would go after China!  Can you fathom the money to be made over there if you convinced all 1.4 billion Chinamen to love American football?

As Bud Fox asked Gordon Gecko in "Wall Street," "How many yachts can you waterski behind?"

🤔

I would be in if the Bills played in Munich, unless it was during Oktoberfest, which is a mess

I've been there quite a few times, and took the Mrs. there a couple times as part of vacations that included other spots..

I imagine the Germans are smart enough to not schedule an NFL game in Munich during Oktoberfest.

I cannot imagine the synergy of Oktoberfest with Bills fans.

No survivors

• Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I would be in if the Bills played in Munich, unless it was during Oktoberfest, which is a mess

I've been there quite a few times, and took the Mrs. there a couple times as part of vacations that included other spots..

I imagine the Germans are smart enough to not schedule an NFL game in Munich during Oktoberfest.

I cannot imagine the synergy of Oktoberfest with Bills fans.

No survivors

Oce2U3.gif&ehk=z4UxIeKRxFoINyG6cn8rnUnYI

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

That's because of highly paid consultants, who earn money from doing deals,  telling them England is so incredible. 

Khan (the Jaguars owner) isn't stupid, he isn't moving the Jaguars to London without income guarantees from the NFL, and the NFL isn't stupid because they know they will pay out the nose to put a franchise in England, so they will wait for a sucker to come along and try to do it that isn't bright enough to ask for that, however unlikely, as it violates the first rule of being rich - never spend your own money.

England was, and remains a terrible developmental market for the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2022 at 11:39 PM, GunnerBill said:

Yea. We care plenty. The London games sell out in minutes. The German games will do the same. 

I have been to Germany a bunch but I have never been to Munich. If its the Bills I am going.

If it's the Bills I'll walk there.

Germany is awesome. I've only just finished paying for the World Cup in 2006 so would love an excuse to get back over there. I didn't get to Munich in '06 so would be a first for me too. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.