How many years can Josh be an Elite QB with his playing style?

transplantbillsfan

How long will Josh last playing this way?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. How long will Josh last playing this way?

• 15+ more years and into his 40s... he's a unicorn and an Adonis
    • 10 years and we'll take the 5 year sacrifice for the incredibly unique combination of skillsets!
    • 5 years so git 'er done!!!
    • Josh needs to immediately adjust his playing style... this just can't last
    • Other... explain

Josh Allen has now been an Elite QB for 2 years. He's going to be 26 by next season.

I love him. He can have my babies... and I'm a dude.

Regardless, even though he sure as hell seems like Superman... he's not. 

I watch Josh Allen and firmly believe this team will win multiple Super Bowls with him as our QB regardless, but how long will he last playing the way he has played the last 2 years? I say 2 years because I think these last 2 years were about the sweet spot of the run/pass ratio.

So what do you guys think about how long he can last with this playing style?

And for some references as far as some notable "running" QBs compared with JA over the career and 2020-2021 run% of total QB plays.

Josh Allen (4 years): 21.1% (but it's been 18.4% the last 2 years)

Russell Wilson (10 year): 17.9%

Mike Vick (13 years with 2 year hiatus): 27.1%

Cam Newton (11 years): 25%

Steve Young (15 years): 17.4%

Randall Cunningham (16 years): 18%

Lamar Jackson (4 years): 46.3%

John Elway (16 years): 10.7%

Rg3 (7 years): 24.2%

I look at all of this and wonder if our Super Bowl window without adjustment is 5 years. I don't think this will be a huge problem because he's smart and is incredibly well built physically.

Still makes you wonder if he will last til he's 40.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
Mixed up completions and attempts in the last 2 seasons in calculating for Josh

The thing that is unique about Josh is he is an elite passer with a cannon arm AND an elite running QB.

In 5 more years if he can't run it like he used to, fine, he is still an elite passer with a cannon for an arm. He is getting smarter and more and more he is able to dissect defenses. So soon he will be an elite QB mentally, not just physically (if he isn't already), so even if he loses some physical ability over time to throw it, he'll still be an elite QB.

Still, I voted 10 more years. Guys don't often have 19 year careers. Anything over 14 or 15 years with a QB is just bonus. He has plenty of time to win some Superbowls.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Josh Allen has now been an Elite QB for 2 years. He's going to be 26 by next season.

I watch Josh Allen and firmly believe this team will win multiple Super Bowls with him as our QB regardless, but how long will he last playing the way he has played the last 2 years? I say 2 years because I think these last 2 years were about the sweet spot of the run/pass ratio.

And for some references as far as some notable "running" QBs compared with JA over the career and 2020-2021 run% of total QB plays.

Josh Allen (4 years): 21.1% (but it's been 27.8% the last 2 years)

I look at all of this and wonder if our Super Bowl window without adjustment is 5 years. I don't think this will be a huge problem because he's smart and is incredibly well built physically.

Running quarterbacks don't last. They don't. No amount of homer wishful thinking is going to change that. Running backs don't last in this league. Pretending that RG3 lasted 7 years is delusional. Dorsey needs to fix the running game or we'll be talking about Josh lasting until he's 30, not 40.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, QCity said:

Running quarterbacks don't last. They don't. No amount of homer wishful thinking is going to change that. Running backs don't last in this league. Pretending that RG3 lasted 7 years is delusional. Dorsey needs to fix the running game or we'll be talking about Josh lasting until he's 30, not 40.

Good job Josh isn't a running Quarterback then. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

He's not one to shy away and he seems to like designed runs and contact. The way he gets amped up whenever he bowls over defenders to get a 1st down shows you he's not stopping anytime soon. He loves that 💩!

So my answer is,...as long as he can.

Josh can have a prime Thurman Thomas beside him and he'd still tote the rock. It's just who he is.

He may run less as time goes on but he won't stop it entirely.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, QCity said:

Agreed which is why we need to develop a running game.  Also, improve the o-line to help keep him clean like they did in 2020.  Save the designed QB runs for crucial moments and big games.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Best answer? Dunno. That's the best answer. Dunno. It's a bit like asking what the weather will be like ten years from today.

The range of possible outcomes is too wide and there's no good reason to pick any particular one other than you want it to be true.

1 hour ago, QCity said:

Fran Tarkenton says hello.

So does Steve Young. John Elway. Russell Wilson. Aaron Rodgers. Steve McNair. Weren't one or two of those guys pretty good?

Of course guys who run but can't pass don't last, but it's not because they run, it's because they can't pass. And Josh Allen can pass.

Do some running QBs get worn down and hurt? Sure. Newton and Vick for two, though Vick if he hadn't done the dog fighting, who knows. So what will Allen be, Newton or Elway? No real way to know.

Nothing wrong with guessing, I guess, but that's about all we'll be able to do.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, QCity said:

Go read that list provided again.  Bad running quarterbacks don't last.  Good quarterback who run seem to last quite a while.  Cunningham, Young, Vick all played a long time.  

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Josh Allen (4 years): 21.1% (but it's been 27.8% the last 2 years)

15+ build a running game that doesn't suck ass and see what he can do without having to run himself.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a trick poll, right? There is no way to tell because there’s NEVER been a pro QB like Allen. Never. Otto Graham, Vick, Cunningham, Tarkenton, Cam, L.Jax, Gabriel, Kaap, etc. None of them had combined what Allen already brings to the table. 

So the Unicorn answer is the only answer.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What a lovely way of saying how much you love him. 🤨

Maybe he should emulate Drew Bledsoe, count on his O line to protect him? 🤔

Josh, though he runs quite a bit now, has proven he can be elite as a pocket passer. He's also showing he knows when to slide or get out of bounds the further along in his career we get. Look at Ben Ro. Look at Russell Wilson. There's no reason to think he can't do this for 15 years or more as long as they build properly around him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, QCity said:

Complete rubbish. Tarkenton, Elway, Cunningham, Graham, Vick -the list is long of QBs who ran very well. RBs? I’m not even gonna start the list sans Thurman, Sweetness, Jim Brown. They DO.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.