Daboll wasn’t happy with McDermott?

MWK

Lots of people don't get along that well with the boss.  They go home and complain about it to their wife, and go back to work the next day.  

Daboll did a nice job here, and that's why he was hired by the Giants.  

I am still a little confused why they ran the ball 3 straight times in the second half after getting the ball near midfield.  Blown opportunity.  With Josh's arm, they should've moved right downfield and taken the lead.  

Ken Dorsey was named Passing Game Coordinator and given a bump because they wanted him to stay with the team until  Daboll got a new gig.  I'd say the passing game was pretty good.

Just now, ProcessTruster said:

whoa, wait a second.... so Heath Farwell screwed up the kickoff?   How so?   is there evidence that he, for example, failed to relay a McD short kickoff call to Bass?   What do we know??    I really want to know if this was player or coach screwup and which coach.   Any more evidence??  thanks

It was an execution problem.  Whoever called that should be executed from his job.  

2 hours ago, finn said:

I'm venting, forgive me. I'm still frustrated that McDermott chose to punt in the KC game on fourth and very short on the Bills 36-yard line (or whatever it was). I give him credit for going on fourth down twice on the first drive, but this was a game in which the Bills had to score on pretty much every opportunity. If he can back up his faith in the defense, that's one thing, but it didn't stop the Chiefs on that next drive, or, famously, when it counted the most. 

Those decisions by Coach McD are debatable. He made some nice 4th down calls that worked out. His body of work is very good. However, that 13 second span is unforgivable, inexcusable, and worthy of termination. You just can't make that sort of mistake and survive. My analogy would be a police officer that has stellar record for 10 years. Then one day that police officer is involved in a shooting that's not justified. He ends up paralyzing the victim. In the end, the officer is terminated. The victim's family suffers for years to come because of the officers gross negligent action. That's what Coach McD did to us fans. I'm no longer a supporter of Coach McD. I'd love to see Sean Payton take over. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Vomit 2

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No where in public

If he got taken to the woodshed by McDermott over the lack of run game, and vented in private to someone he thought was a "safe ear" which got told to someone who spread it around color me surprised

Hopefully Daboll will learn something from this - "if you tell a secret to your friend, and your friend blabbs, who told first - you or he?"

Maybe he doesn't care that it was leaked. It really doesn't reflect poorly on either of them, lots of people become unhappy with a job they had for one reason or another after working at it for so long. It's pretty standard in any industry letting others know that you're unhappy and ready to move on if you want to leave.

2 hours ago, finn said:

I'm skeptical on that last point. With the job offer from Daboll in New York, Dorsey had all the leverage. He could easily have insisted on autonomy to run the offence with McDermott's interference. In fact, it would have been dumb not to since McDermott is so obviously hostile to a throw-first offense. He wants to punt, play defense, and win by three points. 

1 hour ago, finn said:

I'm venting, forgive me. I'm still frustrated that McDermott chose to punt in the KC game on fourth and very short on the Bills 36-yard line (or whatever it was). I give him credit for going on fourth down twice on the first drive, but this was a game in which the Bills had to score on pretty much every opportunity. If he can back up his faith in the defense, that's one thing, but it didn't stop the Chiefs on that next drive, or, famously, when it counted the most. 

Your posts on here tell me one of three things:  

1.  You party too hard and socialize too much during Bills games and don’t pay enough attention to know what’s actually going on.

2.  You don’t even watch Bills games.  

I know it has to be one of those 2 because that is the only way to explain why anyone in their right mind could see McD as conservative or “wanting to win by 3”.  

That is such an utterly absurd thing to say about one of the most aggressive coaches in football who goes for it on 4th down a lot and just fielded a team with the largest point differential in the NFL.  A coach who INSTEAD of tying the game on the last play against the Titans went for it on 4th and 1 to try and win instead.  

And why do you say this?  Because he wasn’t a moron and didn’t go for it on the Chiefs 32 yard line in the early part of the 3rd quarter only down 3?   Seriously?  Up til then, our D had been getting pressure on Mahomes and held them to two FG attempts in the previous 2 drives.  No reason to risk giving them the ball back already in scoring position.  

You are literally categorically wrong and not a single coach in the NFL goes for it in that situation, and no one in the NFL considers McD conservative by any means.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

1.  You party too hard and socialize too much during Bills games and don’t pay enough attention to know what’s actually going on.

2.  You have no concept of football situational awareness or logical football analysis.

3.  You don’t even watch Bills games.  

I know it has to be one of those 3 because that is the only way to explain why anyone in their right mind could see McD as conservative or “wanting to win by 3”.  

That is such an utterly absurd thing to say about one of the most aggressive coaches in football who goes for it on 4th down a lot and just fielded a team with the largest point differential in the NFL.  A coach who INSTEAD of tying the game on the last play against the Titans went for it on 4th and 1 to try and win instead.  

And why do you say this?  Because he wasn’t a moron and didn’t go for it on the Chiefs 32 yard line in the early part of the 3rd quarter only down 3?   Seriously?  Up til then, our D had been getting pressure on Mahomes and held them to two FG attempts in the previous 2 drives.  No reason to risk giving them the ball back already in scoring position.  

You are literally categorically wrong and not a single coach in the NFL goes for it in that situation.  

I would say McDermott is strangely erratic. He is bold, but then goes turtle at bad times. 

5 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

Maybe he doesn't care that it was leaked. It really doesn't reflect poorly on either of them, lots of people become unhappy with a job they had for one reason or another after working at it for so long. It's pretty standard in any industry letting others know that you're unhappy and ready to move on if you want to leave.

It didn't ultimately hurt Daboll in this situation, true.  He got the job.

But think this through - if you were interviewing with a goal to obtain a promotion to the top job in your field with another organization, does it potentially help or hurt your chances if people in that organization believe they don't need to offer you the promotion, you're unhappy enough in your current job that they can get your services just by offering you a lateral move while they hire someone else?

19 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

Three years if he’s lucky. My Giants fan buddies think that organization is so f’d up, he’ll be lucky to last two. 

I thought it was telling that in Belichick's alleged texts to Daboll he said "hope it works out for you if you want it to"

Hope it works out for you.

If you want it to.

That sounds a lot like "Good Luck, Soldier - You're Gonna Need It!"

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I would say McDermott is strangely erratic. He is bold, but then goes turtle at bad times. 

But is that really fair to say about him or any coach?  

I honestly can’t think of any example of where he played scared or overly conservative.  I remember a game where we punted late with 3 timeouts instead of trying a 4th and long and people freaked out even though we got the ball back (as intended by the punt and timeout count) and won the game.  Wasn’t conservative was making a decision to give us best chance to win.

The NFL isn’t Madden, sometimes you have to make choices to help your team win that aren’t always seen as the “aggressive” choice.  Being all throttle all the time is not the correct approach.  

Honestly, every Coach in the NFL will be seen as “erratic” in peoples eyes here.  In fact, can anyone name one that isn’t?  All coaches make choices in game that they believe that give them the best chance to win that are not the more "aggressive" choice.  Lets be real, "aggressive" and "gambling" are cousins of each other, its real easy to cross the line and take unnecessary chances at the wrong time.  Its mathematically incorrect to always choose the "aggressive" choice in every situation.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Or Belichick could have just been speculating like we all were once Joe Schoen was hired.  Daboll has been rumored to NYG ever since they fired Joey Judge.  

That’s why I don’t think there’s any way Flores “wins” the case if it goes to court.  But if he’s somehow able to get the NFL to change hiring practices it will be a huge victory.  

If you go for 4th down every opportunity you end up like Brandon Staley.  Look at the stats for McDermott when it comes to 4th down.  He has one of the highest percentages 

Maybe.  But the text didn’t read that way.  In any event, I point to an earlier comment in this thread in which it was noted that an obese, bald, middle-aged man bailed on work early the night before Schoen was hired to enjoy himself.  Read into that what you will. 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I can’t think of any example of where he played scared or overly conservative.  I remember a game where we punted late with 3 timeouts instead of trying a 4th and long and people freaked out even though we got the ball back (as intended by the punt and timeout count) and won the game.  Wasn’t conservative was making a decision to give us best chance to win.

The NFL isn’t Madden, sometimes you have to make choices to help your team win that aren’t always seen as the “aggressive” choice.  Being all throttle all the time is not the correct approach.  

So every Coach in the NFL will be seen as “erratic” in peoples eyes here.  In fact, name one that isn’t.

I mean how do you categorize the defense played in the last 13 seconds of the last game? 

I would use overly conservative and scared to lose 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Have you ever made a single post that wasn’t hated, laughed at, ridiculed, etc by like 99% of the posters on TSW?  

I agree with you to the extent you believe that McD is NOT in over his head.  His record speaks for itself.  It is excellent, and he turned this franchise into a powerhouse.  

But could McD have a credibility problem in the organization moving forward if we have another meltdown like we did in KC?  The jury’s out on that one.  He comes off as this hyper-prepared, exacting person, which is great and nothing but respectable.  At the same time, the team was not prepared to play Pittsburgh and arguably Indianapolis this year, inexcusably lost a game in Jacksonville, let a game get away in Tennessee, and blundered away a road playoff win in another inexcusable way.  

I think he’s a really, really good coach, but it’s fair to say that he’s got a lot to clean up next year.  And, given his handling of McKenzie this year (perfectly appropriate to take him off of PR duties, in my view, and probably overdue), he’s got to do something about the blunders at the end of the KC game.  Which, of course, is much harder if he called the D because he can’t fire himself for that.  But, realistically speaking, if he’s going to discipline McKenzie for poor play, someone has to take a hit for poor coaching (looking at you, Heath Farwell).   

40 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

whoa, wait a second.... so Heath Farwell screwed up the kickoff?   How so?   is there evidence that he, for example, failed to relay a McD short kickoff call to Bass?   What do we know??    I really want to know if this was player or coach screwup and which coach.   Any more evidence??  thanks

Read Joe Buscaglia’s recent article in The Athletic.  The evidence is there.  Either Farwell didn’t communicate it to Bass, or Bass just messed up.  

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I can’t think of any example of where he played scared or overly conservative.  I remember a game where we punted late with 3 timeouts instead of trying a 4th and long and people freaked out even though we got the ball back (as intended by the punt and timeout count) and won the game.  Wasn’t conservative was making a decision to give us best chance to win.

So every Coach in the NFL will be seen as “erratic” in peoples eyes here.  In fact, name one that isn’t.

I can.  OT punt in Indy snow game.  We were really, really lucky to win that game. 

46 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Merely relaying what someone else posted. Don't shoot the messenger. 

2 hours ago, finn said:

I understand that frustration. McDermott was ranked the 7th most aggressive HC In the nfl in 2020, assume that was even higher this year. I think his aggressiveness in those situations, in general, has increased directly with his level of confidence in his QB. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I mean how do you categorize the defense played in the last 13 seconds of the last game? 

I would use overly conservative and scared to lose 

I would describe it as playing a boundary defense when the other team had 3 timeouts and the entire field was available lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Talk to Frazier about that

So the head coach with a defensive background had no say in the defense that was called in the final moments of a playoff game.....after calling time outs on both plays

I could see if the first play and the second play were different but they were the exact same defense on both plays 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2.  You don’t even watch Bills games.  

I know it has to be one of those 2 because that is the only way to explain why anyone in their right mind could see McD as conservative or “wanting to win by 3”.  

You are literally categorically wrong and not a single coach in the NFL goes for it in that situation, and no one in the NFL considers McD conservative by any means.

Whether coach McD us conservation, passive, aggressive, etc.. It's  subject to interpretation. I happen to agree with your viewpoints for the most part. Your condescending tone isn't needed but it is what it is...Once not up for debate is how Coach McD was grossly incompetent in that last 13 seconds of regulation. You can that aggressive? 

Wow, my first reaction on reading the OP and some posts was "Why are people looking for things to get upset about".

After reading the rest of the replies (and comments in other threads) I'm seeing a small group of posters who truly

hate the Bills HC and thus will believe anything negative about him.  I myself have had some frustrating moments with

the big brass in OBD but the calls for burning this whole thing down and starting over is truly mindboggling.  

It was suggested that threads like this a lowering the IQ of the board and that is maybe true but I'm starting to see Q's emerging.

Who is the TBD Q?  Inquiring minds want to know!  FilthyBeast is already on my "ignore" list.  I hate to say he may have some company soon.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Wow, Flores is swinging a bit wild, trying to torch as many people as possible. Thought he was a good coach who got a raw deal, should have a head coaching gig & should be frustrated about how things have turned out, but this whole burn the entire world down thing... comes off a bit too cray cray. Not sure how much of the tell all gossip to believe.

Bill belicheck saw him teetering on the edge and gave him a little "accidental" push... I mean text to set the nfl on fire and one or two of his afc east rivals in the process 

Waiting for Ben Crump to show up.

Edited by Sharky7337

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.