Daboll wasn’t happy with McDermott?

MWK

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Who cares.   Daboll thought he was going to be a coach in 2021 cycle and didnt get it, furthermore he was pissy because McDermott publicly stated they needed to be more balanced on offense.   I honestly think he came off like a goof in his opening press conference.   Three years from now, Daboll will be asking for his job back.

haven't seen his presser, any highlights ?

5 hours ago, london_bills said:

A text here that said Frazier wanted out and heath farwell would 'resign' over the chiefs ending.

Sounds like a whole lot of finger pointing when down after the game about the 13.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

This is 100% believable and probably accurate given everything we know today. It was blatantly obvious there was some sort of power struggle going on throughout the season based on McDermott's public comments alone.  Also makes sense they didn't waste much time trying to bring in an outside hire to fill the OC spot and stuck with a guy who will probably be forced to be McDermott's lackey in Dorsey.

I think as more information leaks out from coaches that have already left and others likely out the door soon that there's trouble in paradise so to speak and this another reason McDermott's seat may be very hot in 2022.

Doubt it , McDermott will get the process haters out, and as long as we have Josh Allen we will be competitive.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We have no idea. 

If I were Schoen, and I wanted to be the GM and wanted to hire Brian Daboll, the LAST thing I would do would be to suggest to my new employers that maybe they could hire someone other than My Guy, and still recruit him as OC, so it doesn't seem likely to me.

I am not saying I know anything, the talking points for me are:

Bobby Johnson leaves for a lateral position - the Bills didn't want him.

It is suggested Daboll would be available for a lateral move - the Bills didn't want him. I am not saying there is animosity driving this, just amounts to an agreement to go their separate ways. If you and your boss are at odds about business decisions it's time for you to go it alone.

Beane mentioned in his press conference that he and McDermott had a plan to handle losses on the personnel side, they knew who the group they didn't want to lose and the group they were ok losing.

Schoen is a big part of a group of men that spent large amounts of time together, so I'm making the leap that if there was strife in the office he knew about it. I have to assume Schoen approached Daboll and said hey, if I go I want you with me. As part of the GM interview Schoen needs to lay out a plan for his new franchise, acquisition of coaches, players, staff. He may have mentioned during the interview his thoughts on Daboll and what position he would be able to fill, which then was passed around the NYG front office. Normally these types of conversations don't make it out of the building so there probably wasn't a thought to muzzle something like Daboll will be your OC if you get the head coaching job when discussing with Flores.

Look at what happened to Flores in Miami; why was he let go - he won too many games. In the end he went against the wished of his boss. If Flores didn't have the stones to bring all that happened to the public you would never know what happened. Signs like playing Fitz for part of the games to try and win and Gailey leaving after one year point to some internal strife like the coach is trying to balance different goals (development vs winning) which he shouldn't have to be doing if everyone in the front office is pulling in the same direction. Heck, Culley was cut because he didn't share the long term goals of the club. What does that mean? Seems to me he won too many games too. I would love to hear what the GM in his ear was telling Culley to do, probably trying to get him to lose games.

Take the Doug Marrone/Whaley incident a few years back where they were yelling at each other. Do you think that was not a factor in Marrone leaving? Or that was one of a list of issues Marrone had when he left?

As far as I'm concerned, there is certainly smoke about, so yes there are some ideas. There may not be proof but there are certainly some dots to connect. Really some butting of heads is expected and it's not all bad. Seems to me like both McD and Daboll are ready and willing to move on and that's what's happening. I'm sure they will be gracious in public about it and carefully choose their words when they talk about it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Believe what you like my friend but the evidence is starting to pile up that McDermott is in over his head.

Maybe you should

concentrate on your friends on NE.  It seems like your boy Belichick is in over his head since he got old and his coach on the field retired to Florida.

9 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I am not saying I know anything, the talking points for me are:

Bobby Johnson leaves for a lateral position - the Bills didn't want him.

It is suggested Daboll would be available for a lateral move - the Bills didn't want him.

-Bobby Johnson's contract was up.  It was reported that the Bills tried to extend him and he declined the extension.  So I'm not sure how you get from "leaves...Bills didn't want him".  If anything, the logical conclusion would be Johnson didn't want the Bills.

-Daboll in fact left for a promotion.  He was still under contract with the Bills, not relieved of his duties.  Someone in the Giants FO allegedly suggested in a tweet to Flores that "“Heard Daboll isn’t happy with Sean [McDermott] in Buffalo . . . might be able to get of if he doesn’t get a head job. . . thoughts?'”    Taking that at face value the logical conclusion would be that Daboll didn't want the Bills, not that the Bills didn't want Daboll.  The text said "might be able to get out..." not "would be able to get out". 

IMHO "Heard ..... " is pretty flimsy evidence.  It's not text from Schoen, or anything Daboll said, it's at best 3rd hand.  So I don't know that it even represents proof that Daboll wasn't happy in Buffalo.  I can think of other explanations.

• Like (+1) 2

The rift pry happened when Sean said, "Hey Brian.  How the ***** did we only score six points against Jacksonville?"

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

It is Win Now league....If he doesn't win in. 2 years, he will be gone. 

Do you really trust the Pegula's to hire someone better?  I know they've been great with the Sabres but I just question their football acumen. 

Edited by Doc Brown

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

-Bobby Johnson's contract was up.  It was reported that the Bills tried to extend him and he declined the extension.  So I'm not sure how you get from "leaves...Bills didn't want him".  If anything, the logical conclusion would be Johnson didn't want the Bills.

-Daboll in fact left for a promotion.  He was still under contract with the Bills, not relieved of his duties.  Someone in the Giants FO allegedly suggested in a tweet to Flores that "“Heard Daboll isn’t happy with Sean [McDermott] in Buffalo . . . might be able to get of if he doesn’t get a head job. . . thoughts?'”    Taking that at face value the logical conclusion would be that Daboll didn't want the Bills, not that the Bills didn't want Daboll.  The text said "might be able to get out..." not "would be able to get out". 

IMHO "Heard ..... " is pretty flimsy evidence.  It's not text from Schoen, or anything Daboll said, it's at best 3rd hand.

Do you have a link for the declined contract? A quick search is not coming up with anything for me.

As far as whether the Bills wanted these guys or vice versa, really I look at it just like the players about to be free agents. Take Wallace for example, Beane says to the effect "we'll sign him if he really wants to be here". Who wants who in this case? The Bills want to pay Levi the value they have for him, Levi might (and probably does) have a different higher value that he is looking for. If for example the Bills thought Wallace was better than Tre or they really saw his skills as irreplaceable they'd find a way to sign him. I'm not trying to suggest that anything dramatic is going on here, that either one of these guys suck or whatever, I think it's just a case that it's time for a breakup; they both are not getting what they need from the relationship so it's time to go their separate ways.

As far as what Flores has relayed through his lawyer and this suit, as far as I'm concerned he's in the victim zone so I tend to believe what he says a little bit more than folks not falling on a sword here. He is trying to shine a light on what's going on and I'm actually assuming there was a lot of info that is not included.

They just lost one of the greatest football games ever played and it will for ever be remembered that the Bills lost cuz of coaching. I'd imagine even if these guys are best friends they probably had some things to say about eachother. Like all competitive men they were probably pissed and vented some frustrations. I could easily see daboll being pissed and visibly frustrated and that taken as "daboll wants out" by the front office. There's probably still alot of anger and frustration from that loss cuz there were serious blunders from all coaches that lead to a loss, but I'd be willing to bet there's no serious conflict or dislike between daboll, mcd, Frazier.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, TBBills said:

It's massive for the rooney rule but that is about it. It isn't massive for McDermott in any way.

It isn't going to have any impact on the season... the season will play on.

I agree with you, pretty much. 

The only real ramifications it could have, for our team, is if the fracture, or conflict between McDermott and Daboll was big enough that players take sides.  We've already seen guys like Diggs express how sorry they are to see Daboll go...and if you listened to the Isaiah McKenzie interview, it almost sounds like Daboll went above and beyond to be friends with the players.  Ultimately, I think that could hurt him in the head coaching position in New Jersey, but I don't think any of this necessarily hurts the Bills.

I would have been happy to have Daboll back as the OC, provided everyone was playing nice together...but I am not panicking over him leaving. In this day and age, especially, the QB makes the OC as much as the other way around. Not saying Daboll doesn't deserve credit for bringing Allen along nicely, but he has arrived.  We are okay! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.