Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

crappy deal for Flores,   this is on Ross tho.    Flores did the honorable thing standing up to his boss,   but in the end,  the boss,  is the boss.     Boss wants to cheat,  u dont,  yer probably getting replaced.    then if u go loud about it,  no other boss will ever hire u.    song as old as time.   

can only do 2 things,   keep your mouth shut and take it,  or do the lawsuit and mbe get some shut up money out of the NFL.   gl Brian.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

I know, right?  Right in the lawsuit, as well as in various appearances, Flores says that he realizes the lawsuit may impact his future employment chances.

Now he's saying it actually did what he said it would do, so like, Durr?

The thing that chaps me is spouting that clearly the only reason the Texans wouldn't hire him was the lawsuit.  Whatever his personal opinion of Lovie Smith may be, the guy took Rex Grossman and the Bears to a Superbowl.  He was on the team last season.  He had Josh McCown as his QB so if the Texans hired him, maybe he agreed to take McCown as QB coach or OC. 

There could be a bunch of reasons (good and bad) why the Texans would prefer him to Flores, besides the lawsuit, and it's pretty demeaning to Smith (IMO) to say otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Texans have an easy response:

Actually Mr. Flores, Lovie Smith is actually (on paper) more qualified you:

Super Bowl appearances as HC: Smith 1, Flores 0

Career winning percentage as a HC: Smith .506, Flores .490 (and that's with Lovie having 2 terrible years in Tampa to bring him down)

Playoff appearances as HC: Smith 3, Flores 0

Playoff wins as a HC: Smith 3, Flores 0

Conference Title appearances as a HC: Smith 2, Flores 0

Years of head coaching experience (NFL only) as a HC: Smith 11, Flores 3

Now, it could be said that Flores has upside and Lovie is a bit of a retread, but it isn't some massive injustice that Lovie Smith was chosen over Brian Flores.

Not only does Lovie have a better resume, but he also has familiarity with the players and the Church of Easterby that runs the team. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Texans have an easy response:

Actually Mr. Flores, Lovie Smith is actually (on paper) more qualified you:

Super Bowl appearances as HC: Smith 1, Flores 0

Career winning percentage as a HC: Smith .506, Flores .490 (and that's with Lovie having 2 terrible years in Tampa to bring him down)

Playoff appearances as HC: Smith 3, Flores 0

Playoff wins as a HC: Smith 3, Flores 0

Conference Title appearances as a HC: Smith 2, Flores 0

Years of head coaching experience (NFL only) as a HC: Smith 11, Flores 3

Now, it could be said that Flores has upside and Lovie is a bit of a retread, but it isn't some massive injustice that Lovie Smith was chosen over Brian Flores.

Not only does Lovie have a better resume, but he also has familiarity with the players and the Church of Easterby that runs the team. 

Thank you.  Lovie Smith has a much better head coaching resume and there it is.  

Flores is playing the victim now, completing his prophecy.  Smith is the kind of stable leader that might actually stop the bleeding down in Houston.   Flores has made himself a lightning rod for controversy.   I would not hire Flores right now with this lawsuit opened. Talk about a distraction.   

It was easy to understand why the Giants wanted Daboll over Flores.  It is all about the “perception” that Daboll can develop another QB in a league were QB is everything.   Daboll’s handling of Allen is the ace in his hand, Flores’ handling of Tua is one of his key question marks.  So if developing a QB and installing a modern NFL offense was a major requirement for the Giants, then Daboll over Flores is not a surprise and it has nothing to do with race.   

Edited by Bob in STL

49 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

crappy deal for Flores,   this is on Ross tho.    Flores did the honorable thing standing up to his boss,   but in the end,  the boss,  is the boss.     Boss wants to cheat,  u dont,  yer probably getting replaced.    then if u go loud about it,  no other boss will ever hire u.    song as old as time.   

can only do 2 things,   keep your mouth shut and take it,  or do the lawsuit and mbe get some shut up money out of the NFL.   gl Brian.

Here's the thing though. He didn't stand up for squat. Not really any "honor" in continuing to collect millions of dollars in salary for 2 years and only mentioning the possible bribe when he's ousted. 

I mentioned this in another thread. Change 1 thing...let's say the Dolphins picked Herbert over Tua. There would be an excellent chance they don't start 1-7, they actually make it to the playoffs and Flores, instead of being fired is being looked at for an extension. Do you think ANY of this sees the light of day in that scenario? Or do you think he continues to show a personal lack of integrity, stay with Miami and continue collecting his money?

Let's also take into consideration that Flores was a member of the NE Patriot organization since 2004. Was there during a good number of their scandals. Let's just say that possibly integrity, honor and morals may not be something that are in his playbook.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

Here's how I responded to this story on Facebook, keeping it simple for the non-football crowd:

Brian Flores & his lawyers are a bunch of idiots-they deserve each other! Flores is a great coach , in his own mind, but on the sidelines he's not very good. I've seen his teams quit on him numerous times (see what happens whenever they played the Buffalo Bills). Here's what the interview process was like. Houston: Brian, how did you lose the 2020 seaaon finale 56-26 to a bunch of 2nd & 3rd stringers?  It looks like your team ran for the bus & you were the driver. Flores: Humina, Humina, Humina. Brian, you never made the playoffs. Flores Humina, Humina, Humina. Lovie Smith: I'll start this interview with this: I got the Chicago Bears into the Super Bowl. Mike drop, Lovie hired.

Actually Flores did have a hand in Lovie getting the job: If Flores didn't put pressure on Houston & the NFL, the Texans would have hired the guy they really wanted to be their coach-Josh McCown, a recently retired QB with no pro or college coaching experience. After Flores lawsuit, the Texans couldn't get away with that & instead decided to promote their DC who has a long resume, including that Super Bowl appearance, and nobody except Flores and his lawyers can question Lovie Smith's qualifications.

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Being someone that has followed the growth of stats in baseball and other sports I find the misuse of the term below especially annoying! 

Replacement level is simply the level of production you could get from a player that would cost you nothing but the league minimum salary to acquire. The concept is pretty tidy. These are the players that are freely available and if five of your NFL level players came down with the flu, you could go out and acquire replacement level players without really giving up anything you value other than their union mandated payday.

In other words, if you had no one on your roster  and just needed to populate a team, you’re generally signing replacement level players. -summarized from FanGraphs

I've seen this term thrown around on here a lot to reference anyone you don't think is good enough, average,  are pissed at and thnk is overpaid or actually a pretty good player and you don't know what you're talking about......etc. When in reality if you are deemed a starter in the NFL, especially for a quality team, you are likely not a replacement level player.

For those interested in diving deeper: https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/war/replacement-level/

7 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

So let me see, Flores, the guy you are suggesting to replace Frazier:

Has none of those qualities the poster mentioned (Loyal, caring, patience, humble)

Is currently unemployed after being fired with a losing record

Didn't make the playoffs in 3 years as a head coach

In the two games he played over the last two years where a win would have resulted in a playoff berth, his defenses gave up 90 points (45 point) average 

Against top 15 scoring offenses over the last two years, his defenses were regularly beaten like they were victims of Alvin Kamara

But the media love him… so he’s good

On 2/6/2022 at 5:46 PM, Limeaid said:

And Jacksonville's coach is an ethnic minority who has hired 5 head white coaches in row.   

While rules and articles state minority what they mean is black.  This is as prejudiced as what they claim they are fighting.  No mention of Ron Rivera in article.

Point of example is an AP article which 

https://pro32.ap.org/article/nfl-bolster-inclusion-policies-probe-tanking-allegations

On 2/6/2022 at 5:46 PM, Limeaid said:

Quote: 

Lawyers Douglas H. Wigdor and John Elefterakis, who represent Flores, said they were skeptical that Goodell's memo would lead to meaningful changes and called on a court or government agency to appoint a federal monitor to oversee the league.

“For too many years, the NFL has hidden behind the cover of foundations that were supposed to protect the rights of Black players and coaches, as well as law firms and experts that purport to be unbiased an independent but are paid for by the NFL," the attorneys said in their statement. “All the while, systemic racial bias has festered in the NFL's front offices.”

I listened to Wigdor in a couple of interviews condescendingly lecture the NFL about the lack of black representation in head coaching and management positions being evidence, in and of itself, of systemic racism.

Wigdors law firm:

540605403_WigdorFirm.thumb.jpg.b84dc759720410b3954af1abe3bfd10b.jpg

I think this falls under that whole "People who live in glass houses..." thing

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I listened to Wigdor in a couple of interviews condescendingly lecture the NFL about the lack of black representation in head coaching and management positions being evidence, in and of itself, of systemic racism.

Wigdors law firm:

540605403_WigdorFirm.thumb.jpg.b84dc759720410b3954af1abe3bfd10b.jpg

I think this falls under that whole "People who live in glass houses..." thing

Why would Flores higher this firm.  There has to be equally qualified firms that hire minorities. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Why would Flores higher this firm.  There has to be equally qualified firms that hire minorities. 

Apparently, his indignation at lack of minority representation ends where the possibility of getting millions out of the NFL begins....

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's how I responded to this story on Facebook, keeping it simple for the non-football crowd:

Brian Flores & his lawyers are a bunch of idiots-they deserve each other! Flores is a great coach , in his own mind, but on the sidelines he's not very good. I've seen his teams quit on him numerous times (see what happens whenever they played the Buffalo Bills). Here's what the interview process was like. Houston: Brian, how did you lose the 2020 seaaon finale 56-26 to a bunch of 2nd & 3rd stringers?  It looks like your team ran for the bus & you were the driver. Flores: Humina, Humina, Humina. Brian, you never made the playoffs. Flores Humina, Humina, Humina. Lovie Smith: I'll start this interview with this: I got the Chicago Bears into the Super Bowl. Mike drop, Lovie hired.

Actually Flores did have a hand in Lovie getting the job: If Flores didn't put pressure on Houston & the NFL, the Texans would have hired the guy they really wanted to be their coach-Josh McCown, a recently retired QB with no pro or college coaching experience. After Flores lawsuit, the Texans couldn't get away with that & instead decided to promote their DC who has a long resume, including that Super Bowl appearance, and nobody except Flores and his lawyers can question Lovie Smith's qualifications.

interesting hypothesis. Why would Houston feel pressure to hire a black coach but not New Orleans?

1 hour ago, Hsker4life said:

Flores seems like a head-case. It’s always everyone else’s fault, never his. I’d stay far away from him. 

Thats what i was speculating very early on when Flores sued.  I think his problems/firing are a lot more about HIM and not about the color of his skin.

I heard an interview with Mike Florio on Sirius today from the Super Bowl site.  Even he is backing away.  He said Flores’ lawyers aren’t looking out for him. They should have told him to sit on his frustrations for a while and not bring this public.  Because he had a great chance to get another job this year or next.  But the Ooops text from Belichek set him off.  Said the lawyers seem to be relishing taking on the big NFL suits.

16 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Thats what i was speculating very early on when Flores sued.  I think his problems/firing are a lot more about HIM and not about the color of his skin.

I heard an interview with Mike Florio on Sirius today from the Super Bowl site.  Even he is backing away.  He said Flores’ lawyers aren’t looking out for him. They should have told him to sit on his frustrations for a while and not bring this public.  Because he had a great chance to get another job this year or next.  But the Ooops text from Belichek set him off.  Said the lawyers seem to be relishing taking on the big NFL suits.

I see it the same as far as the attorneys. Hello Mr. attorney, do you think I should file a discrimination lawsuit against the NFL?

Options A)

Yes

Option B)

Perhaps you should take a week or two and evaluate your options, we can file this lawsuit at anytime

It's almost comical to think what the answer would be. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.