Can Our D Become More Versatile in 2022? If So, How?

st pete gogolak

Kudos to the Bengals DC for the second half game plan against KC.  Playing a lot of 3 man fronts with a spy and man to man in the back was pretty brilliant.  Would our 2021 D even been capable of pulling that off?  All I saw all year long was 4 man front, some blitzes (we were middle of the pack on blitzing I believe) and two high safety zone, fairly soft zone at that.  Even in the first NE game, when NE is bringing in an extra OL and obviously emphasizing the run, we're playing our usual 4-2-5.  

Should we try to add some flexibility in 2022?  If we retain Frazier, could we?  One thought is that if we are retaining Edmunds, draft a run-stopping MLB in the middle rounds and play a 4-3 against run heavy teams with Edmunds outside.  Experiment with some 3 man fronts in the pre-season.  Something, anything, that would give our opponents something to think about.

• Like (+1) 1

I think/hope we need two things:

Groot to come into the training camp bigger/faster/better conditioned so he becomes the pass rusher we need.

A true mauler Defensive tackle - ie a HEALTHY and consistent Star Lotulelei equivalent. Obviously - probably not Star....

The Bengals were able to confound Mahomes by using 3 up front and dropping 8 into coverage for much of the second half. We need someone big and nasty on the line that they HAVE to double team.

• Like (+1) 3

Keep tre healthy and get a better CB2 also.  Seems like playing man against the chiefs worked for the bengals but I don’t think we could’ve handled that with Levi/Dane starting. Tre was definitely the one guy we could not afford getting injured we just didn’t have the cb depth. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Hey, we had KC beat.  Our defense is strong, but we need a mean streak.  

The loss of Tre was finally felt during that game.  He'll be back.  

I kind of agree that we could use a new DC.  But it's hard to argue with the achievements last year.  They gave up some huge runs to Indy and Tennessee (and one big one against NE in the Wind Bowl).   Focus on building a scheme that stops the run  The backfield is great.

51 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yes. Get a new defensive coordinator. That’s about it. 

Frazier’s philosophy lines up with McD’s philosophy.  If you get a new DC  he will be in the same vein as McD.  And most times their philosophy worked.    When it didn’t work it was beaten by more explosive athletes.  

The focus of fans should be on athletic, explosive talent acquisition or hope McD adjusts his philosophy.  Which do you think is the more probable occurrence?

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Kudos to the Bengals DC for the second half game plan against KC.  Playing a lot of 3 man fronts with a spy and man to man in the back was pretty brilliant.  Would our 2021 D even been capable of pulling that off?  All I saw all year long was 4 man front, some blitzes (we were middle of the pack on blitzing I believe) and two high safety zone, fairly soft zone at that.  Even in the first NE game, when NE is bringing in an extra OL and obviously emphasizing the run, we're playing our usual 4-2-5.  

Should we try to add some flexibility in 2022?  If we retain Frazier, could we?  One thought is that if we are retaining Edmunds, draft a run-stopping MLB in the middle rounds and play a 4-3 against run heavy teams with Edmunds outside.  Experiment with some 3 man fronts in the pre-season.  Something, anything, that would give our opponents something to think about.

2 things that Cincinnati did that the Bills are unable to do:

Get good play from their ends - not just in pressure but also containment.

Have corners that bump and run with the Kansas City WR’s 

and yeah replacing Edmunds for a linebacker that actually makes plays would be a good move too.  Not gonna happen.  

Playing well against a good QB would be nice too

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ed Oliver could be an interesting watch, he legitimately had a few snaps (and a sack) from DE.

Oliver - Groot

Boogie - AJE

Not bad DE depth chart…

He’s also a beast at DT.

Except the fact that you get nothing from AJE

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ed Oliver could be an interesting watch, he legitimately had a few snaps (and a sack) from DE.

Oliver - Groot

Boogie - AJE

Not bad DE depth chart…

He’s also a beast at DT.

Levi Wallace has 2 INT on the season…he’s a playmaker 

Good OP, an interesting idea that I hope the Bills will be working towards.

In my mind, the Bills defense can become more versatile in four ways:

- A huge defensive tackle who can stop the run and provides some upside rushing the passer. Hopefully means more success stopping the run using a light box and more pressure when only rushing four.

- A third LB to run alongside Edmunds and Milano who can hold up in coverage / run with TEs so Milano doesn't always have to be assigned to that role and the QB doesn't know who's going where. 

- A CB with either elite length and/or speed (we don't have either of these traits on the roster despite having a pretty good CB group). Would allow Buffalo to stay in man coverage when needed. 

- Another starting-caliber safety to run some of the three safety looks that Tampa and NE have utilized so successfully in recent years.

I wouldn't expect Buffalo to be able to obtain all four this offseason with limited cap space and a draft I hope will lean towards the offense, but getting two out of the four should help keep offenses guessing more often. 

I agree with almost all the comments above but I guess I'm not making myself clear.  Even if we bring back the same personnel (we won't), can we mix it up more on D so we're not giving opposing offenses the same look every game.  As far as I can tell, we played 4-2-5, rush four, blitz occasionally, play zone with two high safeties.  I didn't see much 4-3-4, even against run heavy teams.  Can't recall seeing any 3-2-6 ala what Bengals played in second half against KC.  Did we play any man-to-man?  My point is that we just can't trot same defense out every game, especially against elite QB's.  Hopefully, we'll get some new personnel so that we can effectively throw some different looks at teams next year.

Somewhat off topic, if you're a DC and you're playing Josh next year, are you thinking of playing the 3-2-6 with a spy similar to what Bengals played?  Of course, the way to attack that D is to hammer with the run, preferably with a power back.  We definitely need to run the ball better next year, especially out of the gate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.