Who is the best pass rusher we can get or available via trade

Fred Slacks

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Its the path of least resistance.  Its a lot easier to build around the elite player that you already have than it is to try to find another elite player to be a difference maker on the other side of the ball.  That's especially true when you have minimal cap space and are drafting towards the end of the round.  

Three of the four remaining teams in the playoffs are in the bottom half of the league in terms of yards allowed defensively.  

I agree,  just keep signing young offensive weapons as we wait for Kelce to eventually retire.  Just prepare for arena football every time we meet.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Chandler Jones 

Jones signed last year for $15M a year. The Bills should have more than $3M available under the cap after they roll over last year's free space.

I see no problem.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, I respectfully ask what did the game breaking pass rushers the Chiefs do to stop Allen?  They have 3 of them and Allen had their way with them and looked like a video game out there.  They didn't fare any better than our guys did on Mahomes, and our guys were getting pressure on Mahomes all day.  

I think at some point, people need to just take their hat off to greatness and realize it didn't matter who we had at DE that game, Mahomes and Allen were playing on whole other levels and thats why they are the two highest paid players in history. 

Like I said before though, I am not opposed to a "game wrecker" at DE...but this isn't Madden where you can make that happen easy.  1 - One of them has to be available.  2 - The compensation to get him has to be acceptable by both parties.  3 - The contract has to be absorbable in our cap or reworkable.  

So, this really isn't even a realistic expectation IMHO.  What game wrecker is even available?  I can't think of one that fits that description that is for sure available, and if one was, unless they are old, its going to be expensive in terms of draft capital, especially how late we are drafting.  And how could we fit a player of that calibers contract into our cap and still shore up all the other holes we have adequately too?  

Yes. Dammit.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Jones signed last year for $15M a year. The Bills should have more than $3M available under the cap after they roll over last year's free space.

I see no problem.

Yes. Dammit.

The Bills have as much cap as they want to have. Just depends how much they want to push into the future. They're going to have to do this at some point 

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree,  just keep signing young offensive weapons as we wait for Kelce to eventually retire.  Just prepare for arena football every time we meet.

I'm just saying that you don't have to try to be the #1 defense in the league every year and that its a lot easier to find players at their offensive needs with the limited resources that they have this year.  I'd still look to CB early in the draft,  maybe in R1,  but also give the young players at DE a chance to develop before another major investment there.  If it doesn't work out,  you've got far more cap space next year to work with. 

Edited by Brandon

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Please point out when an edge rusher "changed a game."

They don't and it's why blowing two first round picks on one would be foolish.

I can not comprehend how this is a sentence... thought.... typed... "yep looks good" then enter lol.

Remember how Mahomes looked against us AFCCG, versus in the SB? EDGE position is the 2nd most important player on a team after qb.

I think Beane makes a major push to get Von Miller in the door. I'd bet were the betting odds to land him. Just makes too much sense.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, I respectfully ask what did the game breaking pass rushers the Chiefs do to stop Allen?  They have 3 of them and Allen had their way with them and looked like a video game out there.  They didn't fare any better than our guys did on Mahomes, and our guys were getting pressure on Mahomes all day.  

I think at some point, people need to just take their hat off to greatness and realize it didn't matter who we had at DE that game, Mahomes and Allen were playing on whole other levels and thats why they are the two highest paid players in history. 

Like I said before though, I am not opposed to a "game wrecker" at DE...but this isn't Madden where you can make that happen easy.  1 - One of them has to be available.  2 - The compensation to get him has to be acceptable by both parties.  3 - The contract has to be absorbable in our cap or reworkable.  

So, this really isn't even a realistic expectation IMHO.  What game wrecker is even available?  I can't think of one that fits that description that is for sure available, and if one was, unless they are old, its going to be expensive in terms of draft capital, especially how late we are drafting.  And how could we fit a player of that calibers contract into our cap and still shore up all the other holes we have adequately too?  

💯 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In the game I watched, our guys were pressuring Mahomes a lot, but like Josh he is incredible at getting away.  And those game wreckers the Chiefs had arguably had an even worse day trying to get Allen.  And we got that pressure mostly rushing only 4 and not blitzing.  We beat them in the regular season blitzing zero times too.  

I just think people need to stop over reacting when elite players play elite.  We didn't lose that game because we didn't have a game wrecker at DE is my point.  

I just cant see what a "game wrecker" really changes the last game the way Mahomes and Allen were playing.  We got a lot of pressure on Mahomes throughout the game as it was, many of which would have been sacks of other QBs not named Mahomes, Allen, or Lamar.  

Mahomes and Allen were just on a different level Sunday.  Having Tre White there would have been something that would have had a bigger impact though, like Hill probably doesn't get that long TD if White is in the game.    

So I just don't see that being where we need to invest our limited cap space.  Boost the OL, depth at CB, beef on the DL are where I would focus.  Plus we have 2 second round picks and a first round pick at DE to get on the field this year.  Look at how Oliver finally broke out this year, we need to keep grooming and developing the talent we have here who were all showing good things this past year.  

A game wrecker finishes the sacks that so many of our front four could not do. I am not of the mindset of just saying Mahomes is as good as Josh so we should not try to effect him at all. Our front four failed. Sure the chiefs did as well. But that doesn’t mean we need to settle on that. Get to Mahomes. Especially if we aren’t blitzing. 

Mahomes struggled earlier to find throws because our back 7 actually was holding up for a while. By the end of the game they were gassed and understandably. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Kwai San said:

You had me until you brought up the biggest POS on the planet (ask Tre please).  I would never ever consider him....maybe just maybe in his prime and even then he is still a POS.

Then you will lose every time you play Mahomes, Stafford, Burrow, hell even Carr would light up a 10-15 ranked D.

The Bills need a Bruce Smith type player....Bad Things man - Bad Things.

Gronk I mentioned cause he was fresh on my mind when creating the post. Maybe I mentioned him cause I knew he was a FA from an article I just read. He really wasn’t the focus of my post and you’re right I shouldn’t have added him to this post as it’s a separate topic. 

Also I agree he is a POS. I do however imagine he would be the type of FA the front office brings in for the DE position. A proven aging vet. I do hope we get someone more youthful myself. 

Edited by Fred Slacks
  • Like (+1) 1

Just going off the stat sheet, Jarran Reed & Melvin Ingram each registered a sack. Ed Oliver was our only d-lineman to register a sack. (Taron Johnson had one, too.) Mahomes had slightly better rushing stats (higher ypa & a TD) than Allen, but the expectation was Allen would fare better there. 

Regardless, I do not agree with a line of thinking that the Chiefs d-line did not stop Allen this game, so we should not seek to sack Mahomes more often. I want to have Allen play at that level and bring Mahomes down. Yes, we got pressure. That’s kind of my point. Pressure alone on either QB is not enough. You need to bring them down or else they will extend the play and make you pay. 

Obviously game-changing DEs do not grow on trees. Neither do Allen/Mahomes-type QBs. But you move heaven and earth to get both because after QB, DE is as important as any other position. I’m not saying I expect it to happen or happen easily, but OBD still has to make it a top priority - which, hats off to Beane for drafting Epenesa, Rousseau, & Basham and going after the likes of JJ Watt & Von Miller. 

The cap does not scare me. Look at the Chiefs roster. They make it work. So can we. Beane is a wizard after all. 

My ultimate point, I think, is I hope the fact that is difficult to get a top-tier pass rusher does not deter OBD from trying to do so. 

1 hour ago, Fred Slacks said:

A game wrecker finishes the sacks that so many of our front four could not do. I am not of the mindset of just saying Mahomes is as good as Josh so we should not try to effect him at all. Our front four failed. Sure the chiefs did as well. But that doesn’t mean we need to settle on that. Get to Mahomes. Especially if we aren’t blitzing. 

Mahomes struggled earlier to find throws because our back 7 actually was holding up for a while. By the end of the game they were gassed and understandably. 

This. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
spacing

17 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

To me this is the biggest offseason question.  There are talented CB's in the draft.  I am sure we can move money and cap to get needed FA's.  But a DE difference maker is what we need.  A game wrecking dude.  Honestly I would trade 2 #1 picks to get one.  At this point I am tired of watching our D-line not get it done.

Side note Gronk s a FA.  Wouldn't hurt adding him as much of a tool as he is.  Great blocker and red zone threat.

We did not lose because of the lack of a pass rusher…we’ve drafted three edge pass rushers in the first two rounds of the last two drafts. Let’s see how they develop.  Oh, and teams don’t give away premium pass rushers…

• Like (+1) 1

Yep, people need to realize we aren’t going to just shut down Mahomes, now matter how many pass rushers we have.  Use those resources to find Josh some guys like Hill and Hardman, who can take a little dump off 60 yards to the house…there are guys like that available in the draft every year…and the return on investment would be much better than continuing to draft big guys to chase Mahomes around the field.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

Again, Chiefs have 3 of these guys…they still weren’t finishing the same sacks on Allen against a worse OL.  Your assumption that a different DE finishes the sacks on the pressures we got on Mahomes is just that, merely an assumption, and an overly optimistic one I might add given the level Mahomes and Allen were playing at Sunday.  

We likely aren’t making a big move for some top end DE, so might as well not get your hopes up.  We invested 3 picks in the first 2 rounds the past two years at DE.  We aren’t giving up a fortune in draft capital to get one, nor is Beane shelling out some cap choking contract either when we have other holes to fill and coming off a season where we were among the league leaders at pressuring the QB.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

If Rodgers isn't in GB, that division is open for the taking. It's bad, although I'd say the Vikings would be a moderate favorite. Let's see what happens with Rodgers first. 

Instead of Mack, I’d actually put my money on Za’Darius Smith or Preston Smith getting moved out of GB if Rodgers leaves. The former Smith would give them a cap savings of over $15 million if moved. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/khalil-mack-14414/

Khalil Mack has a $30M cap hit next season. 

I don't know if the cap stuff works for Chicago or Buffalo in the event of a trade.

I read somewhere that Chicago can get out of his contract this year if they want to

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/nbcsports/khalil-macks-season-ending-injury-raises-questions-about-bears-future/2689652/?amp

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just going off the stat sheet, Jarran Reed & Melvin Ingram each registered a sack. Ed Oliver was our only d-lineman to register a sack. (Taron Johnson had one, too.) Mahomes had slightly better rushing stats (higher ypa & a TD) than Allen, but the expectation was Allen would fare better there. 

Regardless, I do not agree with a line of thinking that the Chiefs d-line did not stop Allen this game, so we should not seek to sack Mahomes more often. I want to have Allen play at that level and bring Mahomes down. Yes, we got pressure. That’s kind of my point. Pressure alone on either QB is not enough. You need to bring them down or else they will extend the play and make you pay. 

Obviously game-changing DEs do not grow on trees. Neither do Allen/Mahomes-type QBs. But you move heaven and earth to get both because after QB, DE is as important as any other position. I’m not saying I expect it to happen or happen easily, but OBD still has to make it a top priority - which, hats off to Beane for drafting Epenesa, Rousseau, & Basham and going after the likes of JJ Watt & Von Miller. 

The cap does not scare me. Look at the Chiefs roster. They make it work. So can we. Beane is a wizard after all. 

My ultimate point, I think, is I hope the fact that is difficult to get a top-tier pass rusher does not deter OBD from trying to do so. 

This. 

I think you articulated my point better than I could. It’s stupid to just say their QB is better (or as good) and so we should just not bother trying to effect him. We are close. We need someone there who makes a difference. It ups everyone’s play on defense. 

I don’t think the cap argument is a real argument. Look at teams like the Rams. They keep reading picks and shelling out huge contracts. Somehow they make it work. I’m sure it will eventually rear its ugly head for them. But surely we can manipulate the cap to get one stud dude in here. That’s how I feel. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, Chiefs have 3 of these guys…they still weren’t finishing the same sacks on Allen against a worse OL.  Your assumption that a different DE finishes the sacks on the pressures we got on Mahomes is just that, merely an assumption, and an overly optimistic one I might add given the level Mahomes and Allen were playing at Sunday.  

We aren’t making a big move for some top end DE, so might as well not get your hopes up.  We invested 3 picks in the first 2 rounds the past two years at DE.  We aren’t giving up a fortune in draft capital to get one, nor is Beane shelling out some cap choking contract either when we have other holes to fill and coming off a season where we were among the league leaders at pressuring the QB.

i'm with ya 10000% on this.

I don't think Beane is. He basically said he would draft a DE in every round if he could and that he believes that is how you build a team and that is his philosophy.

Id expect another significant investment in the DE position this year, which frankly makes me angry. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.