Ken Dorsey - would he choose OC here or leave to be Daboll's OC?

Heavy Kevi

Just now, SectionC3 said:

I wonder if Dorsey hates living in Buffalo.  It might be that simple.  Because, football wise, his departure makes sense only if he thinks he can’t match what Daboll did and will be stained by a year over year drop in production. 

It could be.  And/or as I alluded to, he's worried about being the OC alone and/or is going for the money.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually what would have been strange is if Daboll didn't want to take Dorsey with him.  I fully expected this but thought Dorsey would be smarter.

I’m getting to the point where if Dorsey doesn’t want to be here or if he has cold feet that we cal Josh see how he feels about option #2 and move in with our lives.   I don’t like getting jerked around on this by a guy who has never been a coordinator.   Everyone is replaceable. 

Just now, Doc said:

It could be.  And/or as I alluded to, he's worried about being the OC alone and/or is going for the money.

I suspect the bills will match the money if they like him enough.  The “scared” thing makes sense to me, too.   I keep coming back to the idea that, as a Cali/Miami guy, he doesn’t want to live in Buffalo in February and March. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

This probably the most likely explanation. 

Dorsey may feel he's simply not ready to be the OC for the Bills and needs more tutelage/supervision from Daboll.

If he goes to NY, he can continue to learn and get support from Daboll. If he stays in Buffalo he'll be on his own with very little support.

The expectations are far less in NY as well as Daboll will have at least 2-3 years to turn the team around.

If Dorsey stays in Buffalo and the Bills go 9-8 and miss the playoffs, he could get fired after 1 year.

The safer choice is to go to NY.

The bolder choice is to stay in Buffalo 

15 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The quickest route for Dorsey to be a head coach is to stay in Buffalo.    Not sure what else this guy needs.

He may not feel confident that he can keep the offense at this level. This team has huge expectations and it would all be on him with a defensive HC. Way less pressure and responsibility in NYG. We don’t know his mindset. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He may not feel confident that he can keep the offense at this level. This team has huge expectations and it would all be on him with a defensive HC. Way less pressure and responsibility in NYG. We don’t know his mindset. 

Gotta be a tough decision.  The pressure in NY/NJ will be as great if not greater, though he may be able to ride under Daboll’s shadow for a year or two. 

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m getting to the point where if Dorsey doesn’t want to be here or if he has cold feet that we cal Josh see how he feels about option #2 and move in with our lives.   I don’t like getting jerked around on this by a guy who has never been a coordinator.   Everyone is replaceable. 

I suspect the bills will match the money if they like him enough.  The “scared” thing makes sense to me, too.   I keep coming back to the idea that, as a Cali/Miami guy, he doesn’t want to live in Buffalo in February and March. 

it has been upwards of 14 hours since the position opened. How dare he not pledge his allegiance yet. 

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

hell, he could’ve had the jobs ranked very differently than daboll did. 

maybe nyc is his least favorite but they gave him a monster offer. 

or he’s trying to figure out where his guys are for staying vs leaving - what type of staff he has vs has to assemble could be very different between the options now that it’s solidified.

there’s a ton behind the scenes. These guys have families, peers, mentors, their own individual ambitions, compensation to sort out….

It’s not just josh vs Jones or Buffalo vs nyc or

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So the only reason I would say I’m not sure about this thinking is because at this stage all of these coaches/players executives all have egos. They are all incredibly confident in their abilities. I’m sure Dorsey feels he is more than capable of doing the job-I think he looks more at the relationship he had with Daboll. I’m sure his relationship with Daboll is much closer then his relationship with McDermott 

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

it could be he was all in on going to Miami with daboll and now he’s weighing a tougher choice for himself for a variety of reasons 

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So the only reason I would say I’m not sure about this thinking is because at this stage all of these coaches/players executives all have egos. They are all incredibly confident in their abilities. I’m sure Dorsey feels he is more than capable of doing the job-I think he looks more at the relationship he had with Daboll. I’m sure his relationship with Daboll is much closer then his relationship with McDermott 

hes a position coach. I’d bet there are more than a few guys on that level that are much more comfortable coaching mechanics than building a system and managing people. It’s a bold assumption that everyone in the building wants to be the top guy. 

Edited by NoSaint

5 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

If Im Dorsey, I stay here.   Good luck to Daboll in the NFC East with Dallas, a Philly team with 3 first rounders and Rivera who gets a lot out of a team with garbage at QB.   Daniel Jones is not going to turn into a superstar.  The Giants cap situation is bad,  He becomes OC here, he's one more Sean miscue from being HC here with a real deal QB.

Dorsey has to compete for any job.  He needs to interview for any opening he can an interview for unless he is willing to just stay QB coach.  It is blatantly unfair but that is the way the NFL works to make it more fair for others.

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

This probably the most likely explanation. 

Dorsey may feel he's simply not ready to be the OC for the Bills and needs more tutelage/supervision from Daboll.

If he goes to NY, he can continue to learn and get support from Daboll. If he stays in Buffalo he'll be on his own with very little support.

The expectations are far less in NY as well as Daboll will have at least 2-3 years to turn the team around.

If Dorsey stays in Buffalo and the Bills go 9-8 and miss the playoffs, he could get fired after 1 year.

The safer choice is to go to NY.

The bolder choice is to stay in Buffalo

Sure, if he's not confident in himself.  And if he's not, good riddance.

And while he and Daboll will get a mulligan of sorts this year, the Giants will expect to see Jones improve throughout the season and certainly in his 5th year (I expect them to pick up his 5th year option).  If he doesn't, they're probably out.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Dorsey has to compete for any job.  He needs to interview for any opening he can an interview for unless he is willing to just stay QB coach.  It is blatantly unfair but that is the way the NFL works to make it more fair for others.

Just says you have to interview minority coaches,  you dont have to hire them.  Guys are brought in to fulfill that requirement, and to be honest If I was some of them I wouldnt come in to just be part of some dog and pony show.   Especially when it comes out before hand its gonna be GM x, who wants coach y and coordinator z and thats the way it goes down exactly.  The other people who interviewed were just window dressing.

Edited by billsfan714

43 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it has been upwards of 14 hours since the position opened. How dare he not pledge his allegiance yet. 

And Beane has said that they plan to retain all of their people........which sounded like they weren't going to just let people make lateral moves.

I believe Dorsey is under contract and leaving would be a lateral move which the Bills must approve...........perhaps they are even talking compensation with the Giants.

There could be a lot of different things going on.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And Beane has said that they plan to retain all of their people........which sounded like they weren't going to just let people make lateral moves.

I believe Dorsey is under contract and leaving would be a lateral move which the Bills must approve...........perhaps they are even talking compensation with the Giants.

There could be a lot of different things going on.

Is that true?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.