Divisional Round: Buffalo at KC Sunday at 6:30

Process

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Hot take,  i think the Bills either kill Kansas City...by 17+ points,  or they just lose.  I don't think it's going to be a close Bills win (i.e. by 6 or fewer).  

Not really a hot take, this team is either on point and wins decisively or they lose close games. There is no real in between except the Colts game which was an outlier.

So if they get off to a slow start and fall behind early, especially by more than one score that's all she wrote and the Chiefs either win big or a similar gut wrenching outcome like the Titans or Bucs await.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Simms wants allll the smoke. 

Nick Wright is in a corner somewhere plugging his ears, holding his breath, kicking and and screaming like the toddler he is. 

I think Nick got a ***** this morning when Cowherd picked the Chiefs.  Then he proceeded to continue mocking Josh and the Bills.

Sims has been really nonsensical with his analysis of the Bills. He repeatedly says our receivers "scare no one" , and that our team is Allen doing it all. It's idiotic. 

He soured on us during our slump and is still stuck on the same tune through 5 straight wins. He's entered the Louis Riddick zone of corrupted analysts seeking the hot take mantle. 

Meanwhile the Chiefs looked lousy in their last 2 games. Lose to a 7 loss Bengals team and nearly lose to Broncos. They blow out a dysfunctional Steelers team that did not even look like they practiced. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I got it.....  I also pointed out their drives.  

They did great vs. Mahomes the first game, but Tannehill moved the ball when needed the second half.  I did not take note of who was in the last TD drive (so sorry).  But yes the defense is infallible according to all of you, so if you're not worried about Mahomes & the Chiefs, I guess I'm not....😜  

Now you're just being silly.  No one here claims the defense is infalliable.  But it is very good.  McDermott / Frazier Ds do seem prone to give up 1-2 big plays per game.

You can always check the .pdf file in the game information on nfl.com or check the box score at pro-football-reference.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202201150buf.htm

If you scroll down to "snap counts" and sort on defense, you'll see that Dane Jackson is the only defender who played 100% of the snaps.

All the other stalwarts who normally play the whole game like Poyer, Hyde, Edmunds, Milano, and Wallace only played 76% of the snaps, or 15 fewer snaps than Jackson.

The final TD drive for NE was a 15 play drive in the 4Q.

So you don't have to notice, you can objectively with a few mouseclicks verify that the Pats last TD drive was against our backups.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Not to sound condescending, but…

This is how the entire season has gone. We lead the league in point differential and are also 0-5 in single possession games (with one big loss to Indy).  The 2021-22 Bills haven’t won a single close game. 

It would seem they are due then.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Tacking onto my earlier post revisiting the October Chiefs-Bills matchup, one thing that's of note is the Chiefs defense was actually able to get off the field quite a bit. And they did it without Chris Jones, no Melvin Ingram, no Charvarius Ward and a very limited Willie Gay (first game back from IR). 

The Bills had nine non-kneel down drives and punted on four of them (three 3-and-outs).

-3 plays, minus 14 yards, punt

-3 plays, 8 yards, punt

-4 plays, 41 yards, punt

-3 plays, 0 yards, punt

Another drive would have ended with a 3-and-out but a 3rd-and-17 pass that was intercepted was nullified by a roughing the passer penalty. The Bills took advantage of that penalty and scored a game-sealing TD (when the rain started to fall, no less.)

In the two 2020 matchups, the Bills had roughly ~20 'real' drives (I excluded, for instance, the 2-min drill Allen INT in the regular season meeting.) Out of those 20 drives, the Chiefs got the Bills off the field eight times (40 pct of the time). 

-6 plays, 26 yards, punt

-5 plays, 10 yards, punt

-3 plays, 7 yards, punt

-12 plays, INT

-3 plays, 0 yards, punt

-8 plays, 21 yards, punt

-4 plays, 17 yards, punt

-3 plays, 5 yards, punt

If the Bills play offense like they did vs the Patriots, or like they did in the October matchup vs Chiefs, then they are going to put up their fair share of points against KC's defense, even if KC plays perfect D. KC playing perfect defense won't stop Buffalo's offense. But KC's defense, even as pathetic as they were early in the season, seems to have a knack for getting off the field. They do it by playing press coverage, jamming receivers, throwing off your timing, by bringing heat from everywhere, and when Chris Jones is on the field, he can single-handedly blow up a drive (as we saw in AFC title game.) 

Going to be a fun game. Looking forward to it. 

Edited by beebe
edit
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, FLFan said:

It would seem they are due then.  

Not only that…anyone with half a brain who has watched NFL football knows that winning close games is typically a coin flip. The Bills losing 5 of them this year without a win is statistically improbable and not a sign that they “can’t win close games.”  They’ve been unlucky. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, eball said:

Not only that…anyone with half a brain who has watched NFL football knows that winning close games is typically a coin flip. The Bills losing 5 of them this year without a win is statistically improbable and not a sign that they “can’t win close games.”  They’ve been unlucky undisciplined

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

45 minutes ago, eball said:

Not only that…anyone with half a brain who has watched NFL football knows that winning close games is typically a coin flip. The Bills losing 5 of them this year without a win is statistically improbable and not a sign that they “can’t win close games.”  They’ve been unlucky. 

Bills were about 3 inches shy of having homefield advantage throughout the playoffs and potentially avoiding KC altogether.  Unlucky indeed.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lost said:

Bills were about 3 inches shy of having homefield advantage throughout the playoffs and potentially avoiding KC altogether.  Unlucky indeed.

Yeah it's tough. Last season Bills won a lot of those close games. This year not the case, however the law of averages states we are due 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Lost said:

It wasn’t just getting a few inches.  They still would have had to score a TD with 20 seconds left or win it in OT.     

• Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

It wasn’t just getting a few inches.  They still would have had to score a TD with 20 seconds left or win it in OT.     

He's talking Josh's slip on the 1 yard line against Tennessee.  No slip and Josh gets the TD and the Bills have home-field advantage.  There were 21 seconds left at that point.  I know it's been a while but we lost by 3 points, Josh gets the TD there and we are likely going up by 4.  Tennessee would have needed a TD with whatever time would have been left (21 seconds minus the time for kickoff).

Edited by GottaRun
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I got it.....  I also pointed out their drives.  

They did great vs. Mahomes the first game, but Tannehill moved the ball when needed the second half.  I did not take note of who was in the last TD drive (so sorry).  But yes the defense is infallible according to all of you, so if you're not worried about Mahomes & the Chiefs, I guess I'm not....😜  

Your expectations are unreal.  You cannot expect a great performance every game.  

No one said the defense is infallible…that’s just another child like response from you.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure how you can chalk up going 0-5 in one score games to luck…. I’ll give you the Titans game, but how do you suggest luck as being the reason they lost the other four? (Pats, Jaguars, Steelers, and Bucs)…. More so about attention to detail, being disciplined, and preparation in close games IMO. 

LOL

So I guess we were better prepared and disciplined last year because we won the 1 score games?

How did your concern of McDermott not practicing outside to be prepared for the cold work out?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Performance in "one-score games" is one of the dumbest stats and always has been. 

The Bills lost a "one-score game" to the Steelers. Pittsburgh led by 10 pts with 45 secs left and it became a "one-score game" only because the Bills decided to kick a first-down field goal to cut it to 7. The Bills didn't touch the ball again after attempting an onside kick.

The Bills lost a "one-score game" to the Bucs, but only because they made a crazy comeback to force OT and then never touched the ball due to the NFL's dumb overtime rules. 

I consider the games vs Jags, Pats and Titans to be more reflective of what this stat is attempting to measure, which is end-game variance, luck, the ability to win in the clutch (if you think such a thing is an actual skill), etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.