Divisional Round: Buffalo at KC Sunday at 6:30

Process

11 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Dane Jackson is an awesome tackler. Can’t say the same for Levi. It’s gonna be essential that the Bills are good tacklers in this game 

Stopping the run after the catch will be crucial to the Bills success in this game. Also need both of our linebackers to shut down everything underneath.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, beebe said:

Performance in "one-score games" is one of the dumbest stats and always has been. 

The Bills lost a "one-score game" to the Steelers. Pittsburgh led by 10 pts with 45 secs left and it became a "one-score game" only because the Bills decided to kick a first-down field goal to cut it to 7. The Bills didn't touch the ball again after attempting an onside kick.

The Bills lost a "one-score game" to the Bucs, but only because they made a crazy comeback to force OT and then never touched the ball due to the NFL's dumb overtime rules. 

I consider the games vs Jags, Pats and Titans to be more reflective of what this stat is attempting to measure, which is end-game variance, luck, the ability to win in the clutch (if you think such a thing is an actual skill), etc. 

ummm the Tampa Bay game definitely counts...  Since they were within 1 score before kicking the field goal to tie to send it to overtime. Just cause they were down big at half and came all the way back, doesn't discount it..  that doesn't make ANY logical sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

He's talking Josh's slip on the 1 yard line against Tennessee.  No slip and Josh gets the TD and the Bills have home-field advantage.  There were 21 seconds left at that point.  I know it's been a while but we lost by 3 points, Josh gets the TD there and we are likely going up by 4.  Tennessee would have needed a TD with whatever time would have been left (21 seconds minus the time for kickoff).

The Bills were not on the goal line.   Josh was trying to get the 1st and get at least one more play to try and score a TD. 

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure how you can chalk up going 0-5 in one score games to luck…. I’ll give you the Titans game, but how do you suggest luck as being the reason they lost the other four? (Pats, Jaguars, Steelers, and Bucs)…. More so about attention to detail, being disciplined, and preparation in close games IMO. 

Jags game....I'm sorry but the Bills overlooked them and also decided not to show up for the first half of the Bucs game and are now paying for it by losing out on home field.  Jags game is on the players, Bucs game is on coaching.  The only game I would chalk up to "luck" is the Titans game.  Pats was a monsoon and the Bills are not built to "grind" it out like the Pats did and the Steelers was the first game of the season.

• Eyeroll 2

50 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure how you can chalk up going 0-5 in one score games to luck…. I’ll give you the Titans game, but how do you suggest luck as being the reason they lost the other four? (Pats, Jaguars, Steelers, and Bucs)…. More so about attention to detail, being disciplined, and preparation in close games IMO. 

Luck of bad weather against the Pats and unlucky that there was a ref who didn’t make the obvious PI against the Bucs.  That would have won the game.

• Agree 1

Last year coming off the bye Josh went on a several game heater starting with MNF vs SF.  Perhaps last week was the beginning of another heater?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/buf/season/2020

This is going to happen Bills Mafia. It’s best to relax and just embrace this championship run we inevitably are on!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, beebe said:

The Bills lost a "one-score game" to the Bucs, but only because they made a crazy comeback to force OT and then never touched the ball due to the NFL's dumb overtime rules. 

we won the coin toss in OT but then proceeded to go 3-and-out, if memory serves.

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

The Bills were not on the goal line.   Josh was trying to get the 1st and get at least one more play to try and score a TD. 

If Josh had ran to his left he would have walked in for a TD. 

31 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

we won the coin toss in OT but then proceeded to go 3-and-out, if memory serves.

After going balls to the wall in the 2nd half to tie it, they were lackadaisical with the opening drive if OT, imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

This game will come down to whether there was success in free agency and drafting by Beane in the offseason. At the end of the AFC Championship, it was obvious what areas the Bills needed to improve in. Did they?

This is probably the best quarterback-receivers combination the Bills will have seen all season. And this time the Bills dont have Trey White. I guarantee the secondary wont be right on the hips of Pringle, Hill. Kelce et al on long developing pass plays. 

The will NEED sustained pressure on Mahommes to not let those plays devellop..without letting him run wild as well.

Results of the experiment this Sunday night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

While perusing The Athletic I saw the following and would like to make sure the Bills are aware of this. Straight up picks by these writers and only picked the Bills.

Luckily, I'm not familiar with any of them. Personally I guess I should say as the line conveys, this is a pick em game. GO BILLS!

Michael-Shawn Dugar

Chiefs

Nick Kosmider

Bills

Tashan Reed

Chiefs

Mark Kaboly

Chiefs

Chris Burke

Chiefs

Katherine Terrell

Chiefs

Edited by beerme1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I rewatched it, you're right he was on the 2 not the 1, I was watching from the bar and my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Man guys I hope we go down to KC and throttle the living *uck outta them… I’ve been all over reading forums watching YouTube content anything I can get my hands on and the disrespect for us and Josh Allen is just sickening and I’m sure you guys hear it to… I just hope we play like we’re capable of and show the world that we have the best quarterback in the league and not the Kansas City Cheifs…. The stats might say Mahomes is better but to the eye test it’s Allen… Josh is bigger stronger faster has a better arm runs over linebackers…. How people can sit there and talk like Josh Allen is so far below Mahomes and has a way to go is just stomach turning to me… Anyways Go Bills I’m f’en ready…..

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I’m glad to see Clyde Edwards-Helaire back at practice, I think he’s an average RB at best. Hope he’s in there more than McKinnon and Darrell Williams. Hard to believe they drafted CEH over the likes of Jonathan Taylor and D’andre Swift.

Holy smokes. Can you imagine if they had drafted Taylor? They’d be about as close as you can get to unstoppable. 

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Anyone else think that pretty much every one of those Josh Allen throws is better than every one of those Mahomes' throws?

Those were some pretty weak selections.  I could find 20 more impressive throws from Josh and I’m sure you can with Mahomes too.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I got it.....  I also pointed out their drives.  

They did great vs. Mahomes the first game, but Tannehill moved the ball when needed the second half.  I did not take note of who was in the last TD drive (so sorry).  But yes the defense is infallible according to all of you, so if you're not worried about Mahomes & the Chiefs, I guess I'm not....😜  

Hyperbole much?  Everyone on this board understands how dangerous and tough the Chiefs are. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, beebe said:

Tacking onto my earlier post revisiting the October Chiefs-Bills matchup, one thing that's of note is the Chiefs defense was actually able to get off the field quite a bit. And they did it without Chris Jones, no Melvin Ingram, no Charvarius Ward and a very limited Willie Gay (first game back from IR). 

The Bills had nine non-kneel down drives and punted on four of them (three 3-and-outs).

-3 plays, minus 14 yards, punt

-3 plays, 8 yards, punt

-4 plays, 41 yards, punt

-3 plays, 0 yards, punt

Another drive would have ended with a 3-and-out but a 3rd-and-17 pass that was intercepted was nullified by a roughing the passer penalty. The Bills took advantage of that penalty and scored a game-sealing TD (when the rain started to fall, no less.)

In the two 2020 matchups, the Bills had roughly ~20 'real' drives (I excluded, for instance, the 2-min drill Allen INT in the regular season meeting.) Out of those 20 drives, the Chiefs got the Bills off the field eight times (40 pct of the time). 

-6 plays, 26 yards, punt

-5 plays, 10 yards, punt

-3 plays, 7 yards, punt

-12 plays, INT

-3 plays, 0 yards, punt

-8 plays, 21 yards, punt

-4 plays, 17 yards, punt

-3 plays, 5 yards, punt

If the Bills play offense like they did vs the Patriots, or like they did in the October matchup vs Chiefs, then they are going to put up their fair share of points against KC's defense, even if KC plays perfect D. KC playing perfect defense won't stop Buffalo's offense. But KC's defense, even as pathetic as they were early in the season, seems to have a knack for getting off the field. They do it by playing press coverage, jamming receivers, throwing off your timing, by bringing heat from everywhere, and when Chris Jones is on the field, he can single-handedly blow up a drive (as we saw in AFC title game.) 

Going to be a fun game. Looking forward to it. 

Great research. I think our run game coming together really insulates us from the 3 and outs we have had historically. If we are in 3rd and short we can convert (KC is terrible in these situations).

As for the josh pick, it did happen but after a really terrible holding call the play before wiped out a beautiful scramble. That roughing was the universe righting itself. Same thing this past weekend. Josh got lucky his throw away was caught cause the refs decided to not call the roughing the passer on that play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe they were….. maybe teams have caught on a bit to what we do in those situations, maybe some players have lost focus in those tight situations compared to last season….I’m not sure, but I do know the offense has come up short in 4 of those 5 games with the ball and a chance to tie or take the lead…. Saying it’s purely luck and we just didn’t get the breaks seems ridiculous….. the Titans knew what the play was and where it was going on the QB sneak on 4th and 1(they said so themselves post game), Allen fumbled away a chance to tie/win the Jags game, self inflicted penalties at the end of the first pats game that moved them backwards in the red zone, and after storming back to tie the game against the Bucs they went 3 and out in OT before the Bucs got the ball and scored…. Just gotta hope the coaching staff and players  are ready and more equipped mentally to prevail in a tight game. 

I’d say the Titans yes is on Josh. The play call is still argue was right. But Dawkins got blown up and Josh slipped. 

First NE game Josh put a dime on 3rd and 19 to Dawson Knox in the end zone in 50 mph wind. That game wasn’t lost on Josh. I wouldn’t even put it on coaching as the plays were there to be made but the players didn’t deliver. Several times. 

Tampa again Josh went for Diggs on final drive in 4th quarter. Diggs should have drawn a pass interference but that never happened. Yes we lost in OT but again plays were there to be had. I put that on the players. 

Jags our offensive line was horrendous. Not sure if Josh wasn’t checking to the right plays or what. I felt like that game he was trying to win the game with one throw and kept making it worse when all he had to do was play us into FG range. 

Agree or disagree with how those games played out we are where we are.  But the Bills have been playing really good football lately. Even the games where Josh hasn’t been dominant. The O-line looks day and night different. The defense has been playing even better. That doesn’t translate to an automatic win this week but I feel really strongly about our chances. I feel more confident about Sunday than I do last year’s championship game. 

Im going to smoke some brisket, sit back, and enjoy the show as the rest of America learns first hand that we are the team to beat in the AFC. We’ve got a date with destiny. Enjoy being a fan this season cause Josh is about to turn it on for a run to the super bowl. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

Those were some pretty weak selections.  I could find 20 more impressive throws from Josh and I’m sure you can with Mahomes too.

Most impressive throw of Allen’s career is still that TD pass to Diggs last year against the Patriots where he evaded pressure, rolled left and threw a 30+ yard dart moving left with defenders barreling in on him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.