Raiders interim coach: keep or can?

Doc

Raiders interim coach: keep or can?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Raiders keep Rich Bisaccia as HC?

• Yes, he's earned it already
    • No, the team needs someone better
    • Only if he wins 1 playoff game
    • Only if he wins 2 playoff games
    • Only if he wins 3 playoff games
    • Only if he wins the SB

56 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Derek Carr is basically the coach of that team. A player/coach.  Tremendous leader who keeps that team together.

He’s a tremendous leader, but don’t  disrespect Bisaccia. He’s done an incredible job and deserves the credit as HC

I think getting to the playoffs for them should be considered a solid accomplishment.  If kept i doubt he would change his staff much, and he has a couple of former HCs in Cable and Bradley on staff which helps too.  

He seems like a good leader and solid HC material, the only pause i would give would be looking at what happened with Kitchens in Cleveland.  Make sure the turn around was him getting the guys up, and not something else. 

Because of the circumstances of a mid-year replacement, he obviously had no option but to use Gruden's scheme, players, etc. and was able to take them to the playoffs. Making a change in coach other than an internal hire almost always means significant changes that are like starting over and have a dip for a couple of years. I think it would be a big mistake for the Faders to make a change after this season. They should give Bisaccia a full year to see what he does on his own. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Little less recent but Marv Levy was a ST coordinator prior to becoming a HC.  The other notable example is Mike Ditka.

That's not accurate. He was actually a head coach in college for six years at Cal and William and Mary, and immediately prior to being hired by the Chiefs as HC coach in 1978, he had served as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes throughout the mid-1970s, where he won 3 Grey Cups. He was ST coach under George Allen for about 3 years in the early 1970s.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's not accurate. He was actually a head coach in college for six years at Cal and William and Mary, and immediately prior to being hired by the Chiefs as HC coach in 1978, he had served as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes throughout the mid-1970s, where he won 3 Grey Cups. He was ST coach under George Allen for about 3 years in the early 1970s.

I wonder if there's an 'exchange factor' that needs to be worked into that observation. 🤔 One less offensive 'down', but you do get a 52 yard line...twice! 😁

I voted keep.

But, ladies and gentlemen, we're just casual fans.  What do we really know?

Before making a keep-or-can decision like this, I'd like to see the guy in action.  How does he handle himself with the coordinators and position coaches?   What kind of weekly routines has he set up to prepare the team?  How does he talk to players?  Formulate game plans?  Etc?

The Raiders did well during his tenure because of him?  Or despite him?   Are the coordinators really running the show and he's just a figurehead?

Without more information, our opinions don't mean squat.

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

small sample size, but it’s pretty amazing they made the postseason (let alone the 5th seed) after the Gruden and Ruggs fiascos.

I’d keep him.

Not to mention Arnette... he has done an incredible job with what he has been tasked with. I suspect it will be a lot like when we had Anthony Lynn as interim HC. A lot of us wanted him on full time, but ownership ultimately went another direction. But then again, we didn't make the playoffs that year - so anyone's guess is as good as it gets!

Regardless of the Raiders outcome against the Bengals I don't see how you can't give Bisaccia at least the 2022 after finishing the season strong and beating 3 straight teams that were also in control of their playoff destinies, including 2 on the road.

Especially when you consider all the turmoil there and how he ended the HC midseason to begin with.

But then again the league works in mysterious ways so who really knows what the Raiders will do next.

I do think players tend to play hard for their interim coaches. Getting your coach fired seems to be a wake up call for them sometimes.

I guess I don't know. It's a tough question. Definately interview him. Bring in as many quality candidates as you can and try to hire the best possible one. If that's Basaccia, great.

They would be insane not to keep him.  This team lost its HC to a sandal, then an all-pro WR to a horrific crime.  He kept the team going and made the playoffs.  Also was smart how he handled OT in game last week (would have went for the tie due to chances of kick getting blocked, but went for the win when the kick was shorter).  Guy seems like a good in game and out of game coach.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.