Now that Week 18 is actually here, do you like having the extra game or not?

BillsPride12

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

18 game season is better.  Expand roster to 58 players.  Get rid of all the pre-season games.  Keep one if you absolutely want to.  2020 they had none and the product on the field was no different than 2019 and 2021.  Every poster on this board could have accurately predicted 50-52 of the players they kept.  The bottom 3-5 guys are all interchangeable with a PS guy anyways.    No need to risk injury in a pre-season game.  15 real games and they still couldn't figure out Bates was the best option at OG, and PS DT is dressing for games while a 2nd round pick is not.  A glorified scrimmage isn't going to help them figure it out anymore than what they see or don't see in practice.  

agree, we need a little roster expansion, both for total number of players and for active player limits.

the way the cap is structured, your cheapest 3-10 guys basically don't count, so you can extend some burn to bubble guys, and see if they improve a bit in live game situations.

• Like (+1) 2

Nope…I really don’t like it. Sixteen games was more than enough and an odd number means half the teams play more home games than road games. I would’ve just added a second bye week. The entire nation would all still watch football during the bye, so it doesn’t seem like revenue would be impacted and the players would get an extra week to heal. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

We should be watching playoff football this weekend!!!  We don't need an extra week of regular season football to know which teams belong in the playoffs.  

And yes I know that the NFL's reason for this is simply $$$$$$$

But I'm just asking from a fan's standpoint.  I said from the beginning it was dumb but when it was first announced a lot of people were excited for it saying it was good to see more football etc. but from what I have been seeing on Twitter and other sources now that we are actually here it seems like most people are changing their tune and admitting an extra week of regular season football instead of jumping into the playoffs is stupid.  

Where do you stand?

so you're not going to watch any games this weekend?

I was initially excited about it, but now that it's here this week feels unnecessary and not all that exciting. 

Almost every playoff spot is already locked up, although there are some seeding scenarios still up in the air. With only the 1 bye it takes a lot of drama out of this week, because there's not much difference in being the 2 seed or the 3 seed. If it goes chalk you're going to play each other in the divisional round, and yes you'd love to be at home but it's not worth risking injury to your stars in Week 18. 

Also, it just seems like there's so many terrible games each week, maybe because the NFC overall is awful. There are a few powerhouse teams in the NFC, then a TON of total garbage teams. This seems to lead to weeks where there's a lot of lopsided matchups and not much in the way of exciting games. 

You know the NFL expected that with the extra week and 7 teams per conference that all sorts of scenarios would still be there and tons of teams would still be alive in week 18 for those last spots. Unfortunately, it's all pretty much wrapped up already, so most of these games are glorified preseason games. 

42 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Nope.  I never said that, I'll still be watching.  Go Bills

So you felt compelled to start a thread about an extra week of football that you said is not needed, "dumb" and "stupid"...so you could tell us you'll be tuning in anyway, presumably because you enjoy it so much?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So you felt compelled to start a thread about an extra week of football that you said is not needed, "dumb" and "stupid"...so you could tell us you'll be tuning in anyway, presumably because you enjoy it so much?

Oh please, at this point you're just twisting my words around for the sake of an argument.  Have a good day

16 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I don’t have a problem with it, except that due to having two home games to close out the season, it pushes a season ender deeper into the winter months. Plenty of playoff positioning excitement this year though … just make it an even 18 games moving forward, with perhaps an extra bye week

If the season's 20 weeks, 18 games + 2 byes, would they start 2 weeks earlier?

I think they should really do 19 weeks, 2 bye-weeks and expanded rosters.

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I was initially excited about it, but now that it's here this week feels unnecessary and not all that exciting. 

Almost every playoff spot is already locked up, although there are some seeding scenarios still up in the air. With only the 1 bye it takes a lot of drama out of this week, because there's not much difference in being the 2 seed or the 3 seed. If it goes chalk you're going to play each other in the divisional round, and yes you'd love to be at home but it's not worth risking injury to your stars in Week 18. 

Also, it just seems like there's so many terrible games each week, maybe because the NFC overall is awful. There are a few powerhouse teams in the NFC, then a TON of total garbage teams. This seems to lead to weeks where there's a lot of lopsided matchups and not much in the way of exciting games. 

You know the NFL expected that with the extra week and 7 teams per conference that all sorts of scenarios would still be there and tons of teams would still be alive in week 18 for those last spots. Unfortunately, it's all pretty much wrapped up already, so most of these games are glorified preseason games. 

Right, normal season we are AFC East champs already and prepping for the wild card. 

Least the owners got their $$$

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.