Some healthy good news

First Round Bust

from the BN (Mionday PM)

am glad to hear Bates is D2D - knee

Frazier says has taken no calls as of yet regarding HC

FWIW...Addison leads the team with 5 sacks - Bills have 33 - given up 27 - Josh 26 - Diggs once when he was tacked behind LoS trying to pass - team is 4th in league in flags

Buffalo Bills got the “all clear” in regards to additions to the NFL’s reserve/Covid-19 list Monday.

Given the way cases are exploding locally and nationally, that’s great news.

The Bills continue to have their full roster available to them, with no players or coaches on the league’s Covid list, coach Sean McDermott said Monday. That includes special teams coordinator Heath Farwell and defensive line coach Eric Washington, who cleared the league’s protocols late last week and were able to coach in Sunday’s 29-15 victory over the Atlanta Falcons at Highmark Stadium.

The good news didn’t stop there, either.

McDermott said guard Ryan Bates, who was hurt late in the fourth quarter, is day to day with a knee injury. The same goes for wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who sat out the win over the Falcons.

That would seemingly give them a chance to return to the lineup for the regular season finale Sunday against the New York Jets, depending on how things go in practice.

Bates kept his spot in the starting lineup against the Falcons after originally stepping into the lineup when both Jon Feliciano and Cody Ford were out in Week 16 with Covid.

“He played well the week before,” offensive coordinator Brian Daboll matter-of-factly said when asked why Bates continued to start. “He’s a guy that has done everything well since he’s been here. He got an opportunity last week, did a good job with it, and played another good game this week for us. So, he’s a guy that really knows all our spots, but he earned it.”

PS - kale is good too

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

No denying that the OL has opened more holes for the running game since Bates stepped in.   Keep playing him if he is healthy to go.  

Still trying to figure out why McD refused to allow him to play for so long.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Still trying to figure out why McD refused to allow him to play for so long.

Backup center. No coincidence that they are willing to let Bates play once Feliciano is back available to be the backup center. It is pretty common among NFL coaches that they put so much emphasis on the backup center role because that guy makes the line calls. The logic goes your backup center is on the field at guard you are increasing the chances of him being injured already when your primary center goes down. If he hasn't played a down and your backup center goes down then he is not going to be hurt. My response to that has always been, but he could still get hurt is first play in the game, so what's the difference? It is a piece of NFL coach logic I have never quite followed I have to say. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Backup center. No coincidence that they are willing to let Bates play once Feliciano is back available to be the backup center. It is pretty common among NFL coaches that they put so much emphasis on the backup center role because that guy makes the line calls. The logic goes your backup center is on the field at guard you are increasing the chances of him being injured already when your primary center goes down. If he hasn't played a down and your backup center goes down then he is not going to be hurt. My response to that has always been, but he could still get hurt is first play in the game, so what's the difference? It is a piece of NFL coach logic I have never quite followed I have to say. 

I can’t say I follow exactly either. Especially when your $260 million dollar investment is getting his teeth knocked in by opposing d-lines. The o-line has looked so much better the last two weeks it’s quite remarkable. Maybe getting healthier or just putting guys in the right spot? Dunno. 

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

This time of year everybody is healthy, even if you are playing with a broken leg

yea but I think the point here is, we are actually pretty damn healthy and trending in the right direction. Minus Tre, which is a HUGE loss but can be overcome because of our defensive style, we are very healthy heading into the playoffs for yet another season. Great job by our training staff AGAIN. 

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I was expecting to read that kale could be made to be good too eat. My expectations were too high, I’m afraid.  

Wilt (slightly cook it) your kale in bacon grease with a solid pinch of salt. Serve with a side of bourbon and you are good to go.

The surgeon general warns that the health benefits of kale may be negated through the use of this suggestion. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Wilt (slightly cook it) your kale in bacon grease with a solid pinch of salt. Serve with a side of bourbon and you are good to go.

The surgeon general warns that the health benefits of kale may be negated through the use of this suggestion. 

I’ll have to try your kale recipe. I prefer to grill kale, I soak it in water with a brick, then put the brick and kale on the grill. Once charred I throw out the kale and eat the brick.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

No denying that the OL has opened more holes for the running game since Bates stepped in.   Keep playing him if he is healthy to go.  

We've also called more plays with gap blocking.  And we just played one of the worst run-defending teams in the NFL. 

I'm just not sure how much of the improvement in the run game can be attributed to Bates.  

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

We've also called more plays with gap blocking.  And we just played one of the worst run-defending teams in the NFL. 

I'm just not sure how much of the improvement in the run game can be attributed to Bates.  

Well we ran better against Carolina too.  Not sure how you can tell how much change we have made in the the OL blocking calls without inside information unless you study video of every play and track it all season?  

The last two games we are breaking more runs, there is more push, we have less backs getting hit behind the line.  That is what I see.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

The Bills also have employed a sixth OL 20% of the time and played Davis over Sanders and Davis is a much better blocker, and finally they utilized the FB more the last two weeks so it isn't as cut and dry as it seems. But yeah, the OL has looked better overall the last two weeks than they have all season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.