OT: Would you support a Buffalo spring football team?

PromoTheRobot

I would be more interested if there was some kind of feeder-development program with the NFL so that there would be some kind of Bills linkage

would be good to have a spring development league for UDFA, players previously cut, injured reserve returnees, etc plus coaching opportunities for NFL assistants

But where would a Buffalo-based team play if cant swing a deal at the Bills stadium or UB ?

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

USFL is relaunching this spring and the XFL is supposed to restart in 2023. Both have discussed new cities. How would a spring football team do in Buffalo? 

These teams are mostly in warm weather cities. But since we don't care about bad weather in Buffalo, how would a team do here? 20K would be considered very good attendance. Do we love football (and tailgating) enough to do it in the spring too?

I would.

But the majority of the most active people on this forum are from far out of town who don't attend Bills games in Buffalo let alone come here for a minor league football product.

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I don't live there, but I honestly think despite the size, they'd be able to support an MLB or NBA team too.

Yeah, I know they had an NBA team for a few years decades ago, & they tried to lure an MLB team, but they got screwed both times. At the very least, they'd put up better attendance numbers than the Marlins & Rays in my opinion lol

They couldn't fill a minor league park for the Blue Jays last summer. And you can forget the NBA.

• Thank you (+1) 1

No I don't think it would do anything for me.  The passion for the Bills and Sabres are ingrained in me from childhood memories.  I don't think at this stage in life I could get that into a "minor" league football team even if there was a Buffalo association with it.  Besides once it's Spring time my mind is on golf season  With that said I think a team would do well enough here in Buffalo because a lot of people would definitely jump on board.  

Edited by BillsPride12

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

I would support and watch.

USFL had the right idea. Could have lasted if they had followed more closely to the initial business model. Attendance was good for 2nd to NFL league and some cities great.

The initial business model resulted in massive hemorrhage of cash by most teams from the first season.  It was a financial disaster.  Teams moved around.  Fans lost interest.  

It was hopeless then as it is now.

• Like (+1) 1

Minor league pro ball is fun to attend.  Went to 4 Memphis Express  AAF games a couple years ago and the St. Louis Battlehawks home opener in the spring of 2020 before the virus hit. Had a great time at both.  In Memphis,  I watched Johnny Manziel throw touchdowns and then get his clock cleaned before the league folded.  Great tailgating at both. 

I would!

Why not support the local teams? I live in Dutchess County and support the local baseball team ….. Hudson Valley Renegades(Yankees farm team), die hard FSU fan, but supports Army since I live 20 minutes from West Point. I would love to have a semi pro football team in the area…….local games are usually some of the most entertaining. Me and the kids attended the Army vs Wake Forest game this past season …….score was like 70 something to 50 something……we had a ball! I think next season I’ll buy Marist season tickets.

Edited by streetkings01

Nah. 

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

If it was made up entirely of players who the Bills held the rights to, yes. Then we could have 53 Duke Williams to cream over during the off season

It it were a farm league system, then I could see interest. The problem is that a FREE NFL farm league already exists for them within the NCAA 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.