Inside the 20 with a chance to win it two games in a row

Virgil

10 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Both can be true at the same time.

Imo, a beast of a target in the Red Zone helps make up for poor OL play because you can throw it up to him and he can out muscle smaller db's.

Fix the OL and you fix more than red zone.  It all starts with the OL. 

I'm tired of all the what ifs at the ends of seasons... I thought we were done with them.  But this year it really seems like they're warranted.  Geez in yesterday's game alone there were so many:

What if McDermott doesn't take Josh off the field to try a fake punt instead?

What if McDermott chooses to go for it in the RZ?

What if Daboll bothered with some Singletary/Breida runs in the 1st half?

What if Dane Jackson can come down with that INT?

What if the refs would have called that obvious DPI against Diggs?

What if the refs didn't call that questionable-at-best DPI call on Wallace?

What if there were a booth review of whether Josh actually stepped out of bounds while running along the sideline at the end of regulation?

So many.  And that's just one game.

Can these tides turn for us please?  If they do in the playoffs, I like our chances.

5 minutes ago, Greg S said:

To be fair to the Bills that non-PI call on Diggs probably prevents a TD. That is the most frustrating thing about that non-call.

Just one call (and just get it right Refs) & today people talk about this game like the Oilers '93......  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The goal line play calling is nothing short of horrendous. How you call an all or nothing fade to Diggs (a small WR) there is beyond me. But, with that said Josh has to finish these games. He has to play in the moment and get the TD. This year has been a disaster down there! Nobody remembers Jordan for the shot he makes in the first quarter. They remember him for the one he makes to win the game at the buzzer. It’s what separates these guys. 

i agree with this. I don't blame josh for a single game or a single play. he is the only reason we are where we are. but if he is going to be the best in the game--a real mvp candidate, he needs to steal one or two of these for us, even with everything going against him. 

maybe it's just a numbers game, and at some point he will rattle off 5 straight wins in situations like this. 

Again, i send no blame his way, but would just like to see him steal one of these games. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Daboll has made bad decisions in the red zone. That's a big deficiency of his. And our lack of ability to run on the goal line.

I just feel like from now on you have to put it all in Josh's hands. Let him completely take over the offense, run as much as he wants, take the shots down the field he wants, etc. It's a lot to put on him and we'll get burned sometimes, but that's also when the offense comes alive the most.

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The goal line play calling is nothing short of horrendous. How you call an all or nothing fade to Diggs (a small WR) there is beyond me. But, with that said Josh has to finish these games. He has to play in the moment and get the TD. This year has been a disaster down there! Nobody remembers Jordan for the shot he makes in the first quarter. They remember him for the one he makes to win the game at the buzzer. It’s what separates these guys. 

I don't think Josh has been put in a position to do that though. The play calling has been horrible. That's usually when we try dumb stuff like running it up the middle (which we consistently prove we can't do) for no gain, or TE screens. Daboll calls a completely different game in the red zone and it does not work.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I think Daboll has made bad decisions in the red zone. That's a big deficiency of his. And our lack of ability to run on the goal line.

I just feel like from now on you have to put it all in Josh's hands. Let him completely take over the offense, run as much as he wants, take the shots down the field he wants, etc. It's a lot to put on him and we'll get burned sometimes, but that's also when the offense comes alive the most.

agree.

i think posters talking about not having the horses on OL, TE, and RB (and even big WR) are 100% correct, but we have to go to war with the army we have, not the army we want.

i think allen can help the team in some small and subtle ways, mainly being less predictable on RPOs, but far far too many plays we call are obvious and doomed from before the snap.

14 hours ago, Process said:

Josh doesn't have the weapons. 

Play calling is obviously also a major issue. The 3rd and 2 call was terrible. Not sure why we are taking a low percentage shot to the EZ when we need 2 yards. 

I think the idea was a quick pass that would either be TD or incomplete. (Not saying a different route/play design could have been made). The fear was something crazy happening, and not having time to get the FG unit in, or, missing the kick because of it being a fire drill!

3 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

I think the idea was a quick pass that would either be TD or incomplete. (Not saying a different route/play design could have been made). The fear was something crazy happening, and not having time to get the FG unit in, or, missing the kick because of it being a fire drill!

There was 28 seconds plenty of time get a first down and spije the ball.  Bad call and worse call.

4 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

i agree with this. I don't blame josh for a single game or a single play. he is the only reason we are where we are. but if he is going to be the best in the game--a real mvp candidate, he needs to steal one or two of these for us, even with everything going against him. 

maybe it's just a numbers game, and at some point he will rattle off 5 straight wins in situations like this. 

Again, i send no blame his way, but would just like to see him steal one of these games. 

Steal a game? Or seal a game? The best players are paid the big bucks to seal the victory in the final minute. Josh has to get there. He seems like he’s been in panic mode this season. I’m beginning to wonder if the empty stadiums were actually to his benefit last year.

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

There so many things you can pick apart from a game to think what if.  

However, I can’t let go of the fact that we were inside the 20 these past two weeks and a touchdown wins both games and has us with the one seed right now. 

You could include the Titans game as well. 

This isn’t about the red zone offense as much as having games right there in front of us and not being able to score. 

Whether it be penalties or low percentage plays, Daboll and the offense just isn’t getting it done. Of everything from this season that’s burned us, this above all else is my biggest concerns. 

Got news for you Virgil in case you're not aware. It's not just the last 2 games. Of the 6 losses the Bills have suffered they've had the opportunity to take the lead in 5 of them on the final possession of regulation.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Got news for you Virgil in case you're not aware. It's not just the last 2 games. Of the 6 losses the Bills have suffered they've had the opportunity to take the lead in 5 of them on the final possession of regulation.

This post says it ALL. That is the 2021 season in a nutshell.

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

There so many things you can pick apart from a game to think what if.  

However, I can’t let go of the fact that we were inside the 20 these past two weeks and a touchdown wins both games and has us with the one seed right now. 

You could include the Titans game as well. 

This isn’t about the red zone offense as much as having games right there in front of us and not being able to score. 

Whether it be penalties or low percentage plays, Daboll and the offense just isn’t getting it done. Of everything from this season that’s burned us, this above all else is my biggest concerns. 

Need to go over the middle, where we scored our TDs, instead of the edges with fades and out routes.

18 hours ago, Motorin' said:

So close to having 11 wins. And so very far away...

I really think we're missing that Mike Evans, Gronk like red zone target that just outmatches db's in the end zone. 

Knox has been good, and got another TD. But Josh needs that guy that can just post up and make it automatic. 

Would help if they would put Kumerow in

11 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have not seen a good call in the red zone all year.  Yes they score TD's, but is there one play where there is an interesting play design or formation.

The best call all year was a 2-pt convert, where they ran a trick play. 

Fades to Diggs are not the play (especially on 3rd down).  The Bills needed a TD, and the Ref ate his whistle like they did all game. 

All the passing touchdowns were good calls. Over the middle.

• Dislike 1

That's the reason to change offensive philosophy in the red zone. Dabol and Josh are connected  but we can't fritter away seasons having Josh's versatility and incredible talents wasted with predictable ,low percentage plays. Devoid of a run blocking line and dependable short yardage back, how hard are we to defend in a compressed area.  Coordinator changes and better suited personnel for red zone scoring should be a priority in the offseason. 

9 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Diggs would have beaten his guy if not held.  Josh threw a good ball.  Just no call.  I think this one going to your best player 1 on 1 is the way to go. 

Cant count on the refs, the fade is a crap play in its design, should not be used in a must win play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.