Emotional Loss

elijah

Not anything with too much insight here, just mostly opinion. 

Very upset with the outcome tonight. But maybe it’s a good thing. 

The other losses this season, it was all script after the game. The same from Josh, “this isn’t the team we are, we need to be better, we will be better.” The same from McDermott, the same from Daboll, the same from Poyer and Hyde and anyone else that gets interviewed. Something along the lines of this isn’t us, we can be better, we will be better. 

This loss is very reminiscent of the Arizona game last year, an emotional rollercoaster that we ended up on the wrong side of. And that lit a fire under everyone’s ass. 

Maybe, just maybe, it was emotional enough to the team to change their scripted interviews and soft locker room interactions into something that actually means something. Something that lights a fire under their ass.

Typically I try to be a realist (that probably leans toward optimist), but maybe they needed the heartbreak. The Tennessee game was heartbreak, but it was early enough in the season where it was kind of like, eh whatever we’ll recover. 

This loss has the team against the ropes in the ring, they lost in the 12th round and the next loss isn’t something you recover from. 

Im probably being too optimistic, — but maybe, just maybe, — but maybe it’s something that hit home hard enough to light a legitimate fire this time. They came back, they fought harder than we’ve truly seen all season, and they fell short. 

Just enough fight that fell too short to make them mad enough to see a different type of fire under them. Wake them up from what seemed to be a bad mindset of ‘hey, we’re really good we’re just going to recover,’ and change it to ‘hey, we really need to prove ourselves, we haven’t done s**t at this point.’

In the second half, the offensive line suddenly appeared. The defense, which has been terrific all season, seemed to wake up and say we’re going to bail our offense out of a game. Daboll called a game that was reminiscent of the elite offense that we had game in and game out last year. They fixed all of the issues that were inconsistent this year,...  and they still fell short, by just a hair. 

They needed the emotional loss, they got it, and maybe it was enough to wake them up? 

Let’s hope so, Go Bills. 

Edited by elijah
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

The other losses this season, it was all script after the game. The same from Josh, “this isn’t the team we are, we need to be better, we will be better.” The same from McDermott, the same from Daboll, the same from Poyer and Hyde and anyone else that gets interviewed. Something along the lines of this isn’t us, we can be better, we will be better. 

This loss is very reminiscent of the Arizona game last year, an emotional rollercoaster that we ended up on the wrong side of. And that lit a fire under everyone’s ass. 

Maybe, just maybe, it was emotional enough to the team to change their scripted interviews and soft locker room interactions into something that actually means something. Something that lights a fire under their ass.

Typically I try to be a realist (that probably leans toward optimist), but maybe they needed the heartbreak. The Tennessee game was heartbreak, but it was early enough in the season where it was kind of like, eh whatever we’ll recover. 

This loss has the team against the ropes in the ring, they lost in the 12th round and the next loss isn’t something you recover from. 

Im probably being too optimistic, — but maybe, just maybe, — but maybe it’s something that hit home hard enough to light a legitimate fire this time. They came back, they fought harder than we’ve truly seen all season, and they fell short. 

Just enough fight that fell too short to make them mad enough to see a different type of fire under them. Wake them up from what seemed to be a bad mindset of ‘hey, we’re really good we’re just going to recover,’ and change it to ‘hey, we really need to prove ourselves, we haven’t done s**t at this point.’

In the second half, the offensive line suddenly appeared. The defense, which has been terrific all season, seemed to wake up and say we’re going to bail our offense out of a game. Daboll called a game that was reminiscent of the elite offense that we had game in and game out last year. They fixed all of the issues that were consistent this year,...  and they still fell short, by just a hair. 

They needed the emotional loss, they got it, and maybe it was enough to wake them up? 

Let’s hope so, Go Bills. 

I agree except Daboll in ot went well Daboll. No trick play or a deep pass to start. no straight out run again. It is too east to predict him. Maybe a McKenzie sweep. No we went to the same run that killed is Last week 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, elijah said:

In the second half, the offensive line suddenly appeared. The defense, which has been terrific all season, seemed to wake up and say we’re going to bail our offense out of a game. Daboll called a game that was reminiscent of the elite offense that we had game in and game out last year. They fixed all of the issues that were inconsistent this year,...  and they still fell short, by just a hair. 

Let’s hope so, Go Bills. 

This loss rest solely on the refusal to run the ball. I wont go into greater detail than that.

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

This loss rest solely on the refusal to run the ball. I wont go into greater detail than that.

I couldn’t disagree more.

The loss has many reasons but the refusal to run certainly was not greater than the refusal to take any chances, such as 4th down from the 3 yard line.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Tennessee loss was followed by a bye and then the Jags game. It’s fine, we’ll recover, beat the Jags and then take advantage of a nice schedule before running into the Pats.

Except it didn’t work out like that. I think the Jags defeat hit us hard and, up to half time tonight, was something we never completely recovered from. In the second half I felt we were back, it felt like 2020, but we have to build on it now. We cannot afford to regress again.

The 2nd half was how I expected the Bills to look all season.

As gut-wrenching as the end was, the hope is what you detailed.  They use that 2nd half as a springboard for a late-season run.

I'm still optimistic.  I can't help myself. There were many years during the drought where we would have been very happy to be in the position we're in right now, controlling our destiny w/ 4 games to go.

It starts next week.  Obviously, the week after is huge - but they are all important now.  No more mulligans or weeks off.  If they want to win the championship, they have to win every game until September.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, elijah said:

Let’s hope so, Go Bills. 

As opposed to the other 5 losses, which were, not emotional?

This team has peaked with its current roster/coaching/philosophy combo. There are some elite aspects to the team and they could still get hot and win some games (maybe even make a little run in the playoffs). Their flaws will need at least an off-season to correct if they want to go to the next level though. 

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

As opposed to the other 5 losses, which were, not emotional?

The Steelers defeat seemed flat, the Jags embarrassing, the Colts humiliating and the Pats infuriating. The Titans and Bucs defeats seem more emotional because we played out of our skins in parts and couldn’t quite get it over the line.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I couldn’t disagree more.

The loss has many reasons but the refusal to run certainly was not greater than the refusal to take any chances, such as 4th down from the 3 yard line.

Sorry, but when you do not run, the defense can pin their ears back. Wheb you do not run, you cannot kill clock and keep a high power offense off the field while letting your defense rest. I do agree there was times you go for it on fourth down. Also, going 3 and out in OT was a crusher.

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The Steelers defeat seemed flat, the Jags embarrassing, the Colts humiliating and the Pats infuriating. The Titans and Bucs defeats seem more emotional because we played out of our skins in parts and couldn’t quite get it over the line.

Couldn’t have put my response in better words, I’m happy you took it out of my hands and made it so I didn’t need to respond to that post 🍻 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Is this game enough to jolt them into a new head space where they turn it around and go on a win streak?

Let's hope so!

We say that after every loss. Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Jax (ugh), Colts, Pats*, … 

We are getting beat on both side of the LOS.   It won’t get fixed until next season.  Until then we have work around it.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.