Week 14 Gameday Bills at Buccaneers Postgame thread

Hapless Bills Fan

42 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I expected the Bucs to commit penalties late in the game and OT.   I expected the refs not to call them.   They normally don't call them in those situations.   Yes the Bills got screwed.   And they will get screwed again the next time they are trying to come from behind and "hoping" or "relying" on a ref to make a call in their favor in that situation.    If you put yourself in the situation where you NEED a ref to make a call at the end of a game, you are most likely going to get screwed (unless Tom Brady is your quarterback).

The solution is more refs in the booths with more camera angles.   For each of those refs covering the receivers there should be a second ref in the booth working as a team to make the right call.    Those two refs for each side of the field should be in constant contact making a joint decision on whether there is a call or non call on each play with the booth ref having the tie breaking vote because they would get to view multiple angles.   In reality the sideline refs should be nothing more than puppets throwing the towels only when the booth ref has clear video evidence of a foul.    And the video evidence should be displayed for the fans at the game and on television for every single foul.

They didn’t put themselves in position to NEED the call.  They put themselves in position to make a play and win the game on a pass to their 1st team all pro WR on a pass from their all pro qb, but the opposition needed to cheat in order to stop them.  All we needed was the NFL anti cheat device to do what it’s paid to do.  Get the calls right.  And they failed.  Again. And again  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BTB said:

A 24-3 score at the half is all that needs to be said. Unacceptable. 

It's not all that needs to be said. An incredible comeback doesn't get dismissed just because they put themselves in need of an incredible comeback. 

Injustice or incompetence by the refs isn't a moot point. Folks who say you need to win so cinvincingly the refs can't screw you are asking for the 

moon. Typically, you're not going to blow out good teams, so getting calls right or not is always going to affect the outcome.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BTB said:

A 24-3 score at the half is all that needs to be said. Unacceptable. 

I was right with you it was BLEAK at its worst. The halves of football we saw last night was baffling and amazing and sad all at once for me. what a clusterduck of emotions....yep.

m

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's not all that needs to be said. An incredible comeback doesn't get dismissed just because they put themselves in need of an incredible comeback. 

Injustice or incompetence by the refs isn't a moot point. Folks who say you need to win so cinvincingly the refs can't screw you are asking for the 

moon. Typically, you're not going to blow out good teams, so getting calls right or not is always going to affect the outcome.

It was so unexpected doc the comeback HOLY COW man ...and the referee cherry on top to increase angst PERFECT /  sarcasm*

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

It's reasonable to me the ref missed the call. Not that he hates the Bills, or he had money on the Bucs.

When I look at all the pictures, I see the shirt, and I see where the refs eyes are. Seems like it's possible Diggs' body is hiding the shirt pull from the refs' eyes. If there was still the option to review PI, this probably would have been overturned.

You need to say you were wrong the refs blew it. The evidence is everywhere. I doubt though you can admit you made a mistake coming on here right after the game and claiming those weren’t PI missed by the refs against Diggs. 

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

I expected the Bucs to commit penalties late in the game and OT.   I expected the refs not to call them.   They normally don't call them in those situations.   Yes the Bills got screwed.   And they will get screwed again the next time they are trying to come from behind and "hoping" or "relying" on a ref to make a call in their favor in that situation.    If you put yourself in the situation where you NEED a ref to make a call at the end of a game, you are most likely going to get screwed (unless Tom Brady is your quarterback).

The solution is more refs in the booths with more camera angles.   For each of those refs covering the receivers there should be a second ref in the booth working as a team to make the right call.    Those two refs for each side of the field should be in constant contact making a joint decision on whether there is a call or non call on each play with the booth ref having the tie breaking vote because they would get to view multiple angles.   In reality the sideline refs should be nothing more than puppets throwing the towels only when the booth ref has clear video evidence of a foul.    And the video evidence should be displayed for the fans at the game and on television for every single foul.

I don’t understand this philosophy at all…maybe we’re spoiled because when we win it’s by 100 lol but most nfl games are decided by one score.  And if you factor in the dpis/holds called on us that were pretty ticky tacky you could be talking a swing of dozens of points against the Super Bowl champs on the road

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

Just now, PetermansRedemption said:

Or a close game

We won a ton of close games last season…this really felt like it was gonna be the statement win we needed this season and we got robbed.  I’m still super mad about it Monday morning 😂 Tennessee and NE at least were us having a chance to win and blowing it.  That final play in regulation is literally textbook PI and needs to be called 

• Agree 1

How about twice in the same game the refs call offsetting penalties on a crucial Tampa third down?

This accomplishes two things.  One, it gives Brady a mulligan.  Two, it keeps the final penalty tally from getting too far out of whack.  These were two of the four (!) penalties called on the Bucs all game and they were offset by phantom calls on us, which was a net positive for them.

In this day and age of stats overload, it boggles my mind that box scores still don’t provide more penalty data.  You should be able to see offsetting penalties, penalties accepted and declined, types of penalties, situations, etc., without having to dig into the play-by-play.  This is 100% by design.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

What is the source of this?  If it was shown on the broadcast it would have affected the conversation even more after the game including the national media.  More evidence for those already calling out the refs, and indisputable proof for the stop-crying-it-was-50-50 / tHe-ReFs-DoNt-InFlUeNcE-tHe-OuTcOmE-oF-a-GaMe crowd.  Also makes you wonder if they had the angle in the production room but chose to not show it.

Romo called it DPI right away from his vantage point.  He said that 24 grabbed the shoulder pads and held him.  The ball is in the air, it’s catchable, the CB is in his knees and desperate to stop a TD.   This is obvious.  The ref in the picture can see that the receiver is being slowed down and held and that the CB is on his knees and beaten.  He doesn’t need to see the jersey pull or the grab on his shoulder pads.    Then there are other refs that could see it.  

The refs decided not to influence the game until Tampa was aided by a call in OT. 

• Like (+1) 2

You know it's bad when fans of 30 other teams are on Twitter telling us we got robbed.  

Refs influence way too many games every year, but only a few of them are this egregious while being in a (predominantly) national game.  This was one of them. 

The "take care of business and don't rely on the refs" crowd need to holster that argument today.  Normally, I somewhat agree, but when two evenly matched teams play, it typically comes down to a few plays, and those plays just cannot consist of a game altering referee call/missed call. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

"The ref blew it" so what does that mean? He didn't see the shirt pull? 

Why is everyone so focused on the referee right there? 

There’s also the back judge that is responsible for throwing a flag there… what’s the excuse for the back judge? He wasn’t looking? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Is he in any of the replays?

I still maintain there was human error and not nefarious reasoning.

No… but I can assure you that the back judge was on the field. 

And his responsibility there is to identify the primary target when the ball is in the air and help rule on that play. Seeing that the second the ball was snapped Josh went right to Diggs… it wasn’t really difficult to figure out. 

Do you know where the back judge stands, Gene? He stands at the back of the end zone… the defender was on his knees and pulling Diggs’ jersey… he had a perfect vantage point. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

"The ref blew it" so what does that mean? He didn't see the shirt pull? 

Evn if they didn't see the collar pull the context of Diggs being pulled down indicated everything they should have beeded to know.

6 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Is he in any of the replays?

I still maintain there was human error and not nefarious reasoning.

Of course you'd believe that.

Edited by Beast

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.