Is it worth seeing if Antonio Williams should get a shot?

Lothar

12 hours ago, Lothar said:

I mean at this point our running game is pretty ineffective. And McDermott is pretty good about giving guys the hook if they aren't producing. Maybe choose between Singletary and Moss as the 3rd down back and give Williams a shot. He's bigger and can't be much worse at this point. Our OL is what it is.

Otherwise the running option changes we could try seen to be limited to more jet sweeps - or the threat of jet sweeps - at least a half dozen times a game with McKenzie or Breida.

Please no more Brieda.  If anything was evident on Monday was that Brieda can't be trusted to take a handoff.   The coaching staff seems to think Antonio doesn't give more than what Singletary or Moss have.  I think the issue with the running game is not the runners but the interior line.  They don't know how to anchor and push the pile.  Oh what I wouldn't give to have Incognito on this line right now.  We have no mean streak and that line is soft.

I said this in the game thread. Williams definitely should get some reps. He’s a total package physically. Let’s see if he can take advantage of an opportunity 

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Reported.  Covid vaccination status is not to be discussed outside appropriate threads and/or forums.

Only if you have the right opinion on it. 

47 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

If bringing up Williams equates to Moss being inactive, then fine, do it.

I would still rather see Singletary getting the majority of carries. He actually gets yardage, unlike Moss.

Use Brieda as a change of pace back and extra receiver.

Singletary may have taken some of those Red Zone runs to the house where Moss refused to turn it outside. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Other teams runnin' bax miss holes all the time too.

Behind a good run blocking line, where the hole will be is often a pre-snap read for a RB...........for the Bills,  it's all post snap because they rarely execute their assignments as they are drawn up.

Moss is too slow for outside zone for me.    I wouldn't have him out there.   Singletary is clearly their best back.   Breida is the most explosive but it's now abundantly clear why he was available so cheap in UFA.   He's really dumb.   One mental error after the next.   That's why he's bounced around and played sparingly in Miami and Buffalo despite that talent.  

Singletary has 2 more fumbles on 50 less carries. I wouldnt say Breida is having any more mental errors than the rest of the team. I can't really think of what else you might be pointing to though.

16 hours ago, Lothar said:

I mean at this point our running game is pretty ineffective. And McDermott is pretty good about giving guys the hook if they aren't producing. Maybe choose between Singletary and Moss as the 3rd down back and give Williams a shot. He's bigger and can't be much worse at this point. Our OL is what it is.

Otherwise the running option changes we could try seen to be limited to more jet sweeps - or the threat of jet sweeps - at least a half dozen times a game with McKenzie or Breida.

If he'd shown anything in practice, he would already have been on the roster.   

And the running backs aren't the problem.  It's the line and the schemes.   Either the line isn't talented enough to block the schemes, or the schemes aren't good enough to create opportunities, or both. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Singletary has 2 more fumbles on 50 less carries. I wouldnt say Breida is having any more mental errors than the rest of the team. I can't really think of what else you might be pointing to though.

Pay a little closer attention.     The worst hit Allen has taken all season was an impossibly stupid play where Breida ran right past a blitzer he was responsible for.   Then he had a play last week that he blew in the red zone by going in motion to the wrong side of the field.    Then against NE he just forgot how to physically accept a handoff.    That's an exceptional amount of egregious mental mistakes for the few snaps he's played.    There is a difference between improperly executing assignments and missing them entirely.     It's discouraging because he is a really explosive player with his hands on the football and a good fit for an outside zone team.   

• Like (+1) 5

....... remember when we had Glenn, Incognito, and Woods on the left side?  That's a line you can run behind.  Miller and Mills were a little more forgettable but I bet Miller is better than Ford.  All that said I think the run game is not well coached from an execution standpoint.  I am not even sure if it's bad play design because frequently it just seems like bad execution and players that can't block the run more than the actual play itself being bad.

17 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

One thing this regime has proven is they are sub par talent evaluators 

And yet they pulled Josh Allen out of a big QB talent pool that year, and that proved to be the correct choice.

The problem is their talent evaluation hasn't been consistent enough.

They've made some big mistakes at key positions, and it has directly impacted where the team is at this time.

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Guarantee McD wants a RB in the first come April…. 

Then he's the idiot we all were afraid he might be. I'd spend the first 3 picks on OL. Then maybe a fast RB falls in the 4th. Also consider FA for a better version of Breida. Cut Moss and use Singletary for one last year.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

And yet they pulled Josh Allen out of a big QB talent pool that year, and that proved to be the correct choice.

The problem is their talent evaluation hasn't been consistent enough.

They've made some big mistakes at key positions, and it has directly impacted where the team is at this time.

They've hit HR's with qb & wr.  Yet dribblers back to the mound on OL & RB. Maybe the scouts in charge of those positions just suck.

22 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Totally, the wrong call!

We ain’t in 1960 anymore! Get an even bigger, faster WR or TE or both. The idea is not to slow Allen down with running trash when he’s putting up 30-40 passes.

RBs are for screens and none of these has been worth a damn! Let alone, a Draft pick.

Month back I'd have been more in favor of this as thinking the Bills may be picking around #30 so a RB then isn't so bad.  But now looking more like picking in low 20's so agree don't pick a RB then.

22 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Their personnel / talent decisions have been bad dating back to Petermen.

If it’s that bad why are we consistently winning since McD and then Beane took over? My opinion is that they are not bad but pretty darn good actually. Every team misses on players. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.