Did Sean go too far calling out Mckenzie?

Niagara Dude

7 hours ago, nkreed said:

He challenged because he had to. Hindsight is 20/20, but in the moment he has to hope there is another angle. With all of that said, go back and check the placement of the ball compared to BOTH line judges coming in. The ball gets pushed forward a FULL YARD from their spots (which were both a little of from one another). It was a BS updated spot after Vinovich called 1st down without measurement.

I get why he did, I really do. There is NO WAY that was a first down...Jones helmet never even reached the first down marker. Impossible for the ball to be past it. But yet since they can't see the ball isn't past it they have to stay with the call on the field. One of those where they know it's the wrong call but since they don't have evidence to overturn it, they have to let it stand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McKenzie became a Buffalo Bill because he was a horrific fumbler on special teams with Denver.

He has mostly avoiding issue this season but when you were THAT BAD...........people always worry about you falling off the fumble wagon again.

I don't trust the ***** either.

That said.........would like to see him used on offense.     In addition to the misdirection they've used him on they should have been using him out of the backfield all season to add some speed to their run game and give them a RAC threat on RB screens.   

I'm not giving up on this team but very disappointed that the coaching staff hasn't used their continuity to their advantage here by making their offense and defense more complicated to defend.    It's like they have never practiced a 5 man D Line to guard against a "run-only" game plan or a series of plays where they just run the QB in the event of the wind being so outrageous they can't throw the ball at all.   

We have a winner.  

Regarding the coaching staff and their inability to get creative with defensive personnel……Taron Johnson played 43% of the snaps.  Dodson played 53%.  The pats threw 3 passes———- and we played nickel 43% of the game.  

Even playing nickel 43% of the game, I don’t think we played poorly.  I thought the D was solid….minus a couple plays.  I don’t think the Patriots did much of anything the entire game.  11 first downs all game.  Their offense was putrid minus 3 runs or so and the gift 4th down conversion the refs gave them. 

we lost because we made more mistakes and the coaching staff failed on offense.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe its more than just the fumble with the Colts game?  For all we know, McKenzie might have been making mistakes in practice and muffing balls.  Also sounds like its more than just a fumble, he said "good decisions", so could be McKenzie has made some poor decisions in regards of when to return or not to return.  

I have a feeling he is mad at McKenzie for more than the fumble.  

Like maybe the play against Miami where he almost cost us a touchdown?  Or the one he screwed up against Washington?  I don’t think McD is wrong for being mad at McKenzie.  I think McD screwed up in singling McKenzie out when we have others (Singletary, Brieda, Knox) who are just as careless with the ball. 

11 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

McDermott thinks he is a hard nosed tough guy and has turned into a coach no one wants to play for.

The guy is different than he was when he got here.  I can't even stand listening to or looking at the guy, I can't imagine how the players feel.

McEgo should be his new name

You have no proof that any of this is true.....get out of your feelings

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I use to love McD but that is quickly changing.  The guy is making bad calls all the time this year. Personnel calls are bad.  In game decisions are bad.  Challenge flags are bad.  I don't know what he is thinking this year.

That is not accurate.  There were some they used in the Jets game I think it was that they haven't used all year.  They went for good gains and first downs.  Never seen them again.  Its also not just about the Jet sweeps.  Its about the misdirection and fake jet sweeps.  Its something they can use to keep a defense guessing if even just a split second.  This is important to a team that lacks the fear of a run game.

Early in season against good defenses they got blown up. But something has changed with the offense this year, it’s missing a lot of things from last year. Doesn’t seem to be as much motion, misdirection, basic creativity. Dabolls situational awareness has always been suspect in close games. This year? It’s a predictable mess…

13 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

This might be the beginning of the end for McD

Seems like Bill broke him based on his decisions on and off the field these last 12 hrs

Ha! Thanks! I needed a good laugh after last night. 

Life and the season go on. Of our 5 losses, 4 could have been wins if a single play had gone differently. Last year, we got the bounces and ended up 13-3. This year, not so much. BUT, we just need to peak at the right time to have a nice run. 

McD is going nowhere. 

Edited by Augie

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

Ha! Thanks! I needed a good laugh after last night. 

Life and the season go on. Of our 5 losses, 4 could have been wins if a single play had gone differently. Last year, we got the bounces and ended up 13-3. This year, not so much. BUT, we just need to peak at the right time to have a nice run. 

McD is going nowhere. 

If he goes nowhere, then this team will follow suit.

For some strange reason, I don't find any of it all that funny

But take up for the coach that has pushed every wrong button this season if you wish

6 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

If he goes nowhere, then this team will follow suit.

For some strange reason, I don't find any of it all that funny

But take up for the coach that has pushed every wrong button this season if you wish

You’re talking about the guy who broke the drought and took us the the AFC Championship Game last year, right? That guy? Yeah, let’s get out the pitch forks!  We are about 4 plays away from 11-1 this year. Nope, we did NOT make those plays, but we were right there. Sure, let’s start over. Hahaha

I don’t find HIM to be funny. 

Please forgive me if I’m ambivalent about future responses. 

Edited by Augie

14 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Beanne should just cut McKenzie and sign Williams from the practice squad because after those comments 

Anyone of those shots kicks could have been returned,  again he coached not to lose.  Mckenzie had one fumble in 131 touches over 3 seasons.  That is by no means terrible and not trust worthy.

Are we talking about Duke Williams here??  LOL

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

You’re talking about the guy who broke the drought and took us the the AFC Championship Game last year, right? That guy? Yeah, let’s get out the pitch forks!  We are about 4 plays away from 11-1 this year. Nope, we did NOT make those plays, but we were right there. Sure, let’s start over. Hahaha

I don’t find HIM to be funny. 

Please forgive me if I’m ambivalent about future responses. 

He did a great job last season, no doubt.

However, this doesn't somehow exempt him from not meeting expectations this season. You have to look at things in totality, and what we have seen this season is troubling to many of us.

He'll obviously be safe going into next season...and I can't really criticize that. He's earned a mulligan for a season in the eyes of many...that's fine. 

But he better start turning in some better performances and showing he belongs in the category of perennial playoff coaches that don't get bullied and embarrassed on multiple occasions every season, or his seat will heat up. Bills fans can't and shouldn't have anything but championship expectations with this team, full stop.

And no worries about a response...my heart will go on in any event...somehow.

15 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

McDermott thinks he is a hard nosed tough guy and has turned into a coach no one wants to play for.

The guy is different than he was when he got here.  I can't even stand listening to or looking at the guy, I can't imagine how the players feel.

McEgo should be his new name

I really think there is something to this. The love has not been there all year long. 

2 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Early in season against good defenses they got blown up. But something has changed with the offense this year, it’s missing a lot of things from last year. Doesn’t seem to be as much motion, misdirection, basic creativity. Dabolls situational awareness has always been suspect in close games. This year? It’s a predictable mess…

I don’t think Daboll wants to be here. 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

We have a winner.  

Regarding the coaching staff and their inability to get creative with defensive personnel……Taron Johnson played 43% of the snaps.  Dodson played 53%.  The pats threw 3 passes———- and we played nickel 43% of the game.  

Even playing nickel 43% of the game, I don’t think we played poorly.  I thought the D was solid….minus a couple plays.  I don’t think the Patriots did much of anything the entire game.  11 first downs all game.  Their offense was putrid minus 3 runs or so and the gift 4th down conversion the refs gave them. 

The coaching staff wasn't great. Could've been improved. But it was mostly the mistakes, execution, penalties.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

We have a winner.  

I don't have all-22 but there were a couple of big run plays where Dodson got shoved aside like wet tissue paper.  I think Klein sticks those plays.

Taron Johnson has played good run D most of the season, so you're taking him off to put on a guy who struggled

I think if Dodson struggled less, they play him more.  I think if AJ Klein had been available we would have played base D more.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Did Sean go too far calling out McKenzie after the game and answering on why he was not active?  The fact is Isaiah McKenzie has touched the football 131 times in the last three seasons he has 1 fumble. McKenzie saw McDermott’s comments tweeted and had just a one-word response: “Damn.”

McKenzie has had 3 massive blunders in 10 games played this year.   The misplayed kickoff against Washington that lead to a TD, the muffled  punt against the Dolphins (which he got very luck didn’t lead to a TD thanks to Kumerow) and the embarrassing tackle yourself and fumble against Indy that lead to a TD.   All 3 were at Highmark stadium. 

Still I would’ve played McKenzie against NE, and it was surprising to hear the coach call him out. But it’s not without cause that he wasn’t active with the windy environment ‘Monday night.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The challenge of building a program on "love" is that you then have to trust 53 players to do the work in the offseason and off-the-field and then be in the right mindset on game day.    The only control you have is the practice setting.

When you lead by fear.........like Belichick.........you are in their head 24/7/365..........it's much less complicated.    

There have been a lot of abuses of trust by the players on this team since the end of last season.    Some players obviously didn't put in the work last offseason.    Then they were one of the teams that were the LEAST on the same page with vaccination status.   And they clearly don't feel like or care enough that they will be held accountable for mental errors or simply not showing up prepared and the right frame of mind to play.

It's a tough game.   Everyone in every field hates competition and the fear of losing their job...........but there is a reason why commanding respect and performance thru those tactics has been the most successful form of leadership in football.

McD has made his job more complicated by going this route.   Now he's gotta' figure out how to keep it together.   

"Some players obviously didn't put in the work last offseason." That is utter nonsense, a flat-out guess with nothing behind it but that you appear to want it to be so. 

As for fear being the "most successful form of leadership in football," it's probably true historically. But the last 20 to 30 years there's no particular reason to think so. Belichick probably skews the numbers but he doesn't win because he creates fear. He wins because he's an absolutely sensational x's and o's guy, a terrific football mind, a constant innovator and ahead of the curve in coaching in every significant way. Including cheating by the way, but certainly not limited to it. Not to mention having selected Brady. Mac is no Brady.

As society has changed, so has football. Plenty of less fear-based guys have had excellent success the past few decades.

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

"Some players obviously didn't put in the work last offseason." That is utter nonsense, a flat-out guess with nothing behind it but that you appear to want it to be so. 

As for fear being the "most successful form of leadership in football," it's probably true historically. But the last 20 to 30 years there's no particular reason to think so. Belichick probably skews the numbers but he doesn't win because he creates fear. He wins because he's an absolutely sensational x's and o's guy, a terrific football mind, a constant innovator and ahead of the curve in coaching in every significant way. Including cheating by the way, but certainly not limited to it. Not to mention having selected Brady. Mac is no Brady.

As society has changed, so has football. Plenty of less fear-based guys have had excellent success the past few decades.

As usual,  you are wrong.

Most long term successful regimes still lead thru fear and cutthroat personnel management and at the very least the HC's keep players a bit more at arms length than Sean McDermott.   

And relying on fear really helps Belichick stay on top of his X's and O's because he's not dealing with everyone's feelings and headspace every day.

McDermott has his hands full now just managing his teams mindset.     Especially now that they have such familiarity with him and feel comfy and cozy with all the continuity they've had.

It's not an accident that they might be the most inconsistent football team the NFL has seen in the past 40 years (as DVOA suggests in addition to the eye test).

As I've said though........Arians was dealing with very similar issues in Tampa last year.........but they got hot in the last 4 weeks of the season and went on to win the whole thing.   

One of my concerns is a coach like Arians really started to be perceived as a slam dunk great coach at his SECOND full time NFL HC job.

When he left Arizona his style wasn't getting it done there anymore.   When he went to Tampa it was like "hey, he won with Arizona for chrissakes" and then he basically had the old Marv Levy "if you get a reputation as an early riser you can sleep til' noon" thing going on where he could do little wrong despite flat out sucking early on there.  

Hopefully McD and Beane can figure out how to reign things back in before they have to go somewhere else to get the most out of their teams again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.