Did Sean go too far calling out Mckenzie?

Niagara Dude

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The coaching staff should get the credit for the loss on this game, absolutely horrible in game calls.  It’s like McClappy didn’t realize he could defer the ball in the 3rd and take the wind, ya know in a tight game where your kicker said he isn’t comfortable at more than an extra point going against the wind.  Then the Challenge you had not shot on, then the time out to set up Moss running into the back of his “blockers”.  Then he had the balls to call out guys he made inactive and put Breida back to return a kick after the guy had JUST fumbled and cost us points..  yeah he’s all over it.  I wish there was any chance they would fire him.

I use to love McD but that is quickly changing.  The guy is making bad calls all the time this year. Personnel calls are bad.  In game decisions are bad.  Challenge flags are bad.  I don't know what he is thinking this year.

4 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The few Jet sweeps we tried got blown up due to piss poor blocking so Daboll has removed that from being used.

That is not accurate.  There were some they used in the Jets game I think it was that they haven't used all year.  They went for good gains and first downs.  Never seen them again.  Its also not just about the Jet sweeps.  Its about the misdirection and fake jet sweeps.  Its something they can use to keep a defense guessing if even just a split second.  This is important to a team that lacks the fear of a run game.

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

He has 1 lost fumble this year. You're at a higher risk letting Allen run with it. 

Wrong.

Allen has handled the ball over 600 times to his 2 lost fumbles.

McKenzie has handled the ball around  - what - 50 times? To his 3 muffs/fumbles.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They showed Belichick doing the same thing a few times. Let's stop trying to write a narrative based on what you see on TV. That shows like 5% of what happens and can be crafted to be whatever story they want to tell.

He had every right to be chewing them out for that BS Delay of Game call on us where the ball was snapped right on 0 which NEVER gets called...literally you watch every week where a QB snaps the ball after the clock hits zero, sometimes by a full second, and it never gets called, then you hear them explain they allow it if the ball is in motion by the time they go from looking at the clock to the center which usually gives a full second or more. 

But then to NOT call it on New England and allow them to take a time out in the same situation? That's trash.

The reason the delay of game penalty doesn't get called at 0 is because there are also decimals we don't see.  Try it on a timer that shows decimals.  I do agree that the one they called on us was BS though. I also agree there are plenty that go like a second past that should be called and are not.  Just trying to explain why 0 isn't really 0.

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

When comment came up about Bill Bellchick he rushed to down play it that Bill made a difference,  maybe had you instructed Dabol to pass more with the wind you could have scored more points forcing Pats to open things up.  

You want talk about bad coaching,  challenging a call when you cannot even see player behind boddies and it cost you a timeout.  Or taking your sweet time when you have the wind to your back,  or trying to kick a FG into a massive wind down 4.  Coaching staff incuding both assisants were not prepared and flunked the big game test again.

Then just cut him and move on,  no need to trash him for a game you lost weeks ago and had no chance in either way.  Just cut and stop trying to deflect from the crappy coaching job he had.  You can sign other players if you have no trust left in McKenzie

I agree with all this except Dabol gameplan.  I thought the game plan itself was pretty solid.  Players like Knox and Breida just didn't execute.  Those two players killed our offense.  Breida with the fumble Knox with 3 drops.  Everything else you said I agree with though 100%.

3 hours ago, nkreed said:

He challenged because he had to. Hindsight is 20/20, but in the moment he has to hope there is another angle. With all of that said, go back and check the placement of the ball compared to BOTH line judges coming in. The ball gets pushed forward a FULL YARD from their spots (which were both a little of from one another). It was a BS updated spot after Vinovich called 1st down without measurement.

Everyone knows you don't challenge in that situation.  It never gets over turned either way.  The call on the field always stands because they can never see what happens in the camera angles.  There are far too many bodies to give clear evidence to overturn.  It was a terrible challenge and a waste of a time out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Looked like a routine handoff to Peyton Manning and Eli Manning too

Breida was kept in for KR that were expected to go into the EZ.  He actually wasn't used on offense after that fumble, which took away a whole chunk of run plays we needed.

Incorrect.  Breida was on the field after the fumble.  He had at least 1 carry  post fumble.  He wasn't used much but he was definitely used after the fumble.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't see an issue with what he said

But not dressing one or even both mckenzie and Stevenson was very very dumb but not because of special teams

In a game that you started and wanted a run dominant game plan due to weather with a team that has struggled to open holes and frankly just plain run the ball.

You bench your speed and eliminate any and all mis direction jet sweeps reverses that you could have run to keep the defense guessing 

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Looked good to me against Cincy this week. Didn't see much other than that, but considering he was picked up quickly by LAC after Hou dropped him your statement doesn't seem right.

Teams are always looking for returners. People still pick up players that are over the hill all the time in other positions too just because of what they once were.  Roberts has not played well this year.  He might have had some good moments but he has also had a lot of poor returns and has had some fumbles.  It was the right decision to let him go.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Agree with last part. Moss is not good. One yard and dust, missed opportunity to bounce outside easy walk in td. His problems is he is slow and lack of vision.  Brieda would be much better even tho he made a mistake. Still don't get Moss why Moss gets it more. Brieda helped Bills huge last game. 

Ive been beating this drum all season.  Moss getting a carry is a wasted down almost every single time.  It is mind boggling to me they still keep putting him on the field.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe its more than just the fumble with the Colts game?  For all we know, McKenzie might have been making mistakes in practice and muffing balls.  Also sounds like its more than just a fumble, he said "good decisions", so could be McKenzie has made some poor decisions in regards of when to return or not to return.  

I have a feeling he is mad at McKenzie for more than the fumble.  

He might be mad at McKenzie for more than the fumble but McK was a top 5 returner when he got benched.  How many poor decisions could he have made when he was a top 5 returner?

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McKenzie became a Buffalo Bill because he was a horrific fumbler on special teams with Denver.

He has mostly avoiding issue this season but when you were THAT BAD...........people always worry about you falling off the fumble wagon again.

I don't trust the ***** either.

That said.........would like to see him used on offense.     In addition to the misdirection they've used him on they should have been using him out of the backfield all season to add some speed to their run game and give them a RAC threat on RB screens.   

I'm not giving up on this team but very disappointed that the coaching staff hasn't used their continuity to their advantage here by making their offense and defense more complicated to defend.    It's like they have never practiced a 5 man D Line to guard against a "run-only" game plan or a series of plays where they just run the QB in the event of the wind being so outrageous they can't throw the ball at all.   

I agree

McDermott is cracking a bit under the pressure. 

Last year the team looked like it was having a lot more fun. Expectations were there, but not as high. 

This year a lot of guys got paid/extended, and it became about the Super Bowl, and a lot of guys are not living up to the challenge. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

It was a bad comment, but ONE bad comment yet you all are up in arms for it. While Ariens says things that would make most teams disgusted and won the SB last year. 

It's not a good comparison because Bruce is consistent. He'll call out Tom Brady just as surely as the 6th WR. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

"I wanted to put a guy back there that I trusted and was gonna make good decisions with the ball.”

And then proceeded to have that trusted guy Not Do A Damn Thing back there returning punts. Showing he doesn’t even trust the trusted guy. I mean c’mon this is a total BS illogical answer. Shame on the people defending this as “open and honest” or “straight talk” or whatever. You made a bad personnel decision (McKenz) then compounded it with a bad coaching decision (don’t field punts) and you’re trying to defend those poor decisions.

These things didn’t cost them the game, but are Exhibit A for his ego/stubbornness that do end up costing this team wins.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

McDermott is cracking a bit under the pressure. 

Last year the team looked like it was having a lot more fun. Expectations were there, but not as high. 

This year a lot of guys got paid/extended, and it became about the Super Bowl, and a lot of guys are not living up to the challenge. 

The challenge of building a program on "love" is that you then have to trust 53 players to do the work in the offseason and off-the-field and then be in the right mindset on game day.    The only control you have is the practice setting.

When you lead by fear.........like Belichick.........you are in their head 24/7/365..........it's much less complicated.    

There have been a lot of abuses of trust by the players on this team since the end of last season.    Some players obviously didn't put in the work last offseason.    Then they were one of the teams that were the LEAST on the same page with vaccination status.   And they clearly don't feel like or care enough that they will be held accountable for mental errors or simply not showing up prepared and the right frame of mind to play.

It's a tough game.   Everyone in every field hates competition and the fear of losing their job...........but there is a reason why commanding respect and performance thru those tactics has been the most successful form of leadership in football.

McD has made his job more complicated by going this route.   Now he's gotta' figure out how to keep it together.   

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Did Sean go too far calling out McKenzie after the game and answering on why he was not active?  The fact is Isaiah McKenzie has touched the football 131 times in the last three seasons he has 1 fumble. McKenzie saw McDermott’s comments tweeted and had just a one-word response: “Damn.” Maybe Sean should have also focused in on why his D cordinator took 3 quarters to adjust and start sending his LB up the gap when the PATS guard pulled or how his TE  dropped key passes all night and should have been more physical with DB's and fighting harder for position to catch balls that are there. Knox's blunders last night were far worse than McKenzie's one fumble because we actually had a opportunity to win had he made some of those catches.  

So while I was also pissed at Mckenzie for his massive fumble against Colts I think Sean should not have aired dirty laundry about Mckenzie and not call out others. As far I am concern the Bills might as well cut McKenzie this morning,  because it does not sound like Sean plans on trusting him to return kicks.  Go sign John Brown or some other WR that could help because after those comments Mckenzie is done. 

The bigger call out is why the ***** you make the jet sweep essentially inactive when you make him inactive.  We knew we needed to run and the jet sweep even if faked opens holes and has worked in redzone yet we eliminate by making him inactive.  Dumb. 

I really don't understand what the Bills mindset is making McKenzie inactive. What are they trying to accomplish? 

He can be a small, but productive change of pace asset in this offense. 

And since the last game of 2020 against Miami, when he had 6-65-2, he's been taken out of this offense for some reason. 

We can't get Beasley the ball consistently anymore, or Sanders, but I'm not sure why 2-3 times a game you can't Jet Sweep or put McKenzie in the backfield even if you don't give it to him. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

He might be mad at McKenzie for more than the fumble but McK was a top 5 returner when he got benched.  How many poor decisions could he have made when he was a top 5 returner?

Maybe he been struggling in practice too with fumbles or decision making.  Just seems like McD comments strongly suggest it was more than a fumble.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.