Did Sean go too far calling out Mckenzie?

Niagara Dude

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Looked like a routine handoff to Peyton Manning and Eli Manning too

Breida was kept in for KR that were expected to go into the EZ.  He actually wasn't used on offense after that fumble, which took away a whole chunk of run plays we needed.

Could have sworn I saw Breida in there later in game.

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Could have sworn I saw Breida in there later in game.

I looked it up.  He was given one additional run play after the fumble, two series later.  In the box score, he has 1 pass and 1 run.  The pass was before the fumble.

Now that makes no sense to me, if they were going to use Breida, why not use the outside runs he's good at.

That fumble really needs to be re-scored, it was not an "aborted snap" and had nothing to do with Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, nkreed said:

I get it, I really do, but not one of our replays include a whistle nor a higher broadcast angle. Mac Jones progress stops at a very specific spot (you can see him just fine, you can't see the ball which matters) and the line judges have a great placement, when watching the replay. The ball was NOT placed where they marked it. 

You can clearly see why McDermott is angry over this in the broadcast. I'm not Jomboy so I can't read lips, but you can tell by the line judges hand motions that they moved it forward after their spot because Mac Jones was crawling after the whistle. McD is angry over why THEY moved the spot when it wasn't clear cut to do so. They were forced into making it look like an easy 1st down by Vinovich.

They announced before the game that there would be no sky cam because of the wind. That's the sort of thing Belichick would take note of and adjust accordingly vis-a-vis challenges. Not so much the Bills' coaching staff. Similarly, Allen had multiple throws to his right going into the wind, and they were all blown off course -- the most damaging one being the back shoulder throw to Diggs on their final possession. In normal situations, that's a TD, but this wasn't a normal situation. Why was that pass called given the clear evidence from earlier in the game that balls thrown that way were being blown off course? Indeed, one of the previous ones should probably have been a pick six if Jackson had held onto it. That's on the coaches. Take that play out of the repertoire. Instead, they tried it at crunch time and it failed. Blame also falls on Allen; he has to know that throw isn't working.  

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I looked it up.  He was given one additional run play after the fumble, two series later.

Now that makes no sense to me, if they were going to use Breida, why not use the outside runs he's good at.

McDermott's doghouse routine for RB fumbles is getting a little old. None of these guys are great, and there is going to be the occasional fumble. I mean, if you're that concerned about it, just roll Frank Gore out there.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s funny people complain when he sticks to the script… we there you go. A real raw moment of unfiltered feedback on why decisions were made. 

McKenzie is a nice story, but precisely the type of spot on the team where we need an upgrade. 

This to me is the interesting part. We had one as a returner in Roberts but he was let go last offseason. Someone made the decision to let Roberts go.

8 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

This to me is the interesting part. We had one as a returner in Roberts but he was let go last offseason. Someone made the decision to let Roberts go.

Was the right decision based on Roberts' performance this year. He dropped off big time. Regardless of how McKenzie is performing.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

I just don't like the selective accountability. He'll trash McKenzie publicly but not anyone else. Moss being active made 0 sense. Obada being inactive after one of his best games also was curious to me. Refusing to throw mid range passes until the 4th Q, also questionable. At some point the HC needs to make adjustments,  but instead throws a guy who wasn't even playing under the bus

This is it right here. His prized MLB and TE both couldn’t do their jobs, making critical fumble-equivalent mistakes that cost us the game repeatedly. They weren’t benched and their sorry a@@es will be back in the lineup as normal. No real accountability on this team, just a facade for “fumblers”.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Was the right decision based on Roberts' performance this year. He dropped off big time. Regardless of how McKenzie is performing.

Looked good to me against Cincy this week. Didn't see much other than that, but considering he was picked up quickly by LAC after Hou dropped him your statement doesn't seem right.

Ehhhh... I don't think he went too far as McKenzie was acting like a child after he was inactive against the Saints. I appreciate Sean being blunt in the postgame for once. This team needs accountability, and if being blunt helps that then so be it. Nothing else has worked thus far. 

I do think he needs to be consistent though and not just limit it to McKenzie and the few other people he called out.

4 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Looked good to me against Cincy this week. Didn't see much other than that, but considering he was picked up quickly by LAC after Hou dropped him your statement doesn't seem right.

Getting cut by Houston this season doesnt tell you there is a major issue?

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/12/bills-isaiah-mckenzie-has-one-word-response-to-sean-mcdermotts-lack-of-trust-in-returners.html

McDermott was asked why he kept both of them (McKittrick and Stevenson) down for this game and he referred to the play in the game where the Patriots muffed a punt and it lead to the Bills touchdown.

“The same reason they turned it over on their punt return team - I didn’t want to do that,” McDermott said. “I wanted to put a guy back there that I trusted and was gonna make good decisions with the ball.”

McDermott is an idiot.  McKenzie was among the league's best returners prior to being benched.  This is a really dumb way to "make a statement," and it's hurting the team.

McKenzie is valuable to this team in other ways, like kickoff returns, sweeps, and catching passes. McD could have put him back there and told him “don’t go near any damn punt or you’re cut” and done what Hyde did. He effectively took him out of the game completely for 1 of 4 things he does. 

Statistically there’s as much of a chance of McKenzie breaking one for a TD as fumbling but this dummy only focuses on the Colts outcome. Remember how McKenzie won the Jags game coach but someone held? 

Coaches personnel management is terrible and the McKenzie situation shows his myopic and limited perspectives.

Edited by Best Williams Available
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Getting cut by Houston this season doesnt tell you there is a major issue?

No, for the reason I stated. If he was done he would have either not been picked up or LAC would have dropped him already. Sometimes the team you're on matters. There are a lot of folks who have resurgent years on different teams.

He did not go too far. He gave an honest answer. Frankly, maybe it's time more players and staff are held publicly accountable for their actions. McD included.

We have seen for 4 years McD have the "Well we think he's a good football player" routine. Hasn't worked so try something else.

Earlier this year McD made a comment about Oliver's level of player not being where he or they hoped it would be. Ed has been on fire since then almost ever week. Different styles of leading are sometimes helpful. Keep coddling the players with milk and cookie answers and your end up with a team of soft crybabies.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/12/bills-isaiah-mckenzie-has-one-word-response-to-sean-mcdermotts-lack-of-trust-in-returners.html

McDermott was asked why he kept both of them (McKittrick and Stevenson) down for this game and he referred to the play in the game where the Patriots muffed a punt and it lead to the Bills touchdown.

“The same reason they turned it over on their punt return team - I didn’t want to do that,” McDermott said. “I wanted to put a guy back there that I trusted and was gonna make good decisions with the ball.”

McDermott is an idiot.  McKenzie was among the league's best returners prior to being benched.  This is a really dumb way to "make a statement," and it's hurting the team.

Disagree. On a windy day where the ball is moving around a lot, McKenzie and Stevenson are absolute liabilities out there and we all know it.

Everyone is making mistakes. Players and coaches alike. McKenzie fumbled 4 times his rookie year. There is history there. I agree Sean should've taken on more blame himself. You can definitely see him change this year. Instagram type practices should never have happened. The players are soft and the coaches (after last night) are starting to look real stupid. I don't think this can be turned around this season. And Beane is hardly blameless with his failure to improve the trenches.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

McDermott thinks he is a hard nosed tough guy and has turned into a coach no one wants to play for.

The guy is different than he was when he got here.  I can't even stand listening to or looking at the guy, I can't imagine how the players feel.

McEgo should be his new name

I have no idea if that's true, and I'm not sure how you would know either.

I do know that when you are playing the Patriots in a year when they have a decent team, you need a chess player of a coach if you want to win.

And we don't have one.

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm starting to wonder if people actually listen to the press conference before commenting. This is an incredibly consistent briefing by McD. Puts a ton of blame on himself AND calls out problem areas. 

Damned if you do; damned if you don't with fans and media. 🙄

There's calling out problem areas and then there's throwing players under a bus.  His wording and delivery were terrible.  

• Like (+1) 1

Here's the problem with this situation.

If players like McKenzie are a problem why are they even still on the team? Why were they resigned in the first place? Marginal players get released midseason all the time over the course of an NFL season and it would have sent a bigger message by simply releasing him because it's obvious he's not part of the future plans either way. In fact pretty sure we scooped him up a few years ago after he was released by Denver in the middle of the season.

You almost get the sense that this team is so afraid of creating problems in the lockerroom they tip toe around these things but it may be at the point where the lockerroom is divided anyway and may quit on the coaching staff.

Either way this regime has reaped what they sow with horrendous roster decisions and the misguided believe they were remotely close to championship caliber by 'running it back' in the offseason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.