Ineligible man downfield

UConn James

Asked this in the GDT, but the fast-moving nature of that thread isn’t for something like this:

Am I the only one who doesn’t get what the point of the ineligible man downfield penalty is? 

I mean… I understand what the engineering of it is — no lineman past the los on a pass play unless engaged — but I just don’t understand why it’s such a problem deserving of a penalty. What is its advantage?

Boettger was one yard past the line of scrimmage on the called-back TD to Knox, on the opposite side of the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, UConn James said:

Asked this in the GDT, but the fast-moving nature of that thread isn’t for something like this:

Am I the only one who doesn’t get what the point of the ineligible man downfield penalty is? 

I mean… I understand what the engineering of it is — no lineman past the los on a pass play unless engaged — but I just don’t understand why it’s such a problem deserving of a penalty. What is its advantage?

Boettger was one yard past the line of scrimmage on the called-back TD to Knox, on the opposite side of the field.

Because it creates another man for the d to cover.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Because it creates another man for the d to cover.

Not sure I understand this answer.  Only an OT can be "eligible" and the D knows this prior to the play.  So a non-eligible OL, an OG especially, can't go out for a pass.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Not sure I understand this answer.  Only an OT can be "eligible" and the D knows this prior to the play.  So a non-eligible OL, an OG especially, can't go out for a pass.

Yes, they technically not eligible, but if one or more ineligible linemen were to go down field, it would add to the confusion of the defenders.  Who am I supposed to cover?  Having them have to locate which one is eligible would give the offense an (unfair?) advantage.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What is the rule for yardage? How far up the field makes it a penalty?

The ineligible man downfield can't be beyond the line of scrimmage at the time the ball is thrown, without blocking an opponent at the time of the pass.  

That's the infraction.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What is the rule for yardage? How far up the field makes it a penalty?

1 yard down field...

https://www.rookieroad.com/football/penalties/ineligible-downfield-pass/

Looks like it was a double play called...

A screen to the left or the play to Knox at the bottom.

A bunch of linemen downfield could just pancake the second level of defenders. They’d be setting up run blocks 10+ yards downfield while a pass play develops. Couple that with the rules banning defenders from cutting linemen out of the box and you have a recipe for unstoppable offensive plays. 

Imagine a reverse throwback to Allen or Lamar Jackson where the OL is allowed to engage defenders out of position 10-20 yards downfield…. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, UConn James said:

Boettger was at the 5 and still moving forward when they stopped the feed on the replay. But at that point Josh changed course and it was another 2 seconds where you couldn't see Boettger before Josh threw the ball.

9 hours ago, UConn James said:

Yeah, but Ike almost pulled a Bo Jackson on the play where he almost ran into the tunnel, he wanted to get a better seat in the locker room. 

7 hours ago, UConn James said:

But… by one yard?

It mandates that if your team does end up passing, the OL has to allow itself to be pushed back.

And yes, in these days of the RPO it’s like… 💁🏻‍♂️.

Downfield, OK. One yard past the LOS, tho?

One yard past the LoS IS downfield, you have to draw the line somewhere and the LoS is a logical place to do it.

25 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No, it should be one yard and is for a reason—it doesn’t penalize you for destroying the defender in front of you and moving him back on a good block. 

You misunderstand me, I wasn't clear.  One yard is the proper limit, I meant near the LoS is the logical place to base it on.  Can't have a D lineman sidestep, the O lineman stumbles forward a step, and oops illegal man downfield.  O linemen downfield would wreak havoc on the LBs and DBs and lead to basketball scores in games.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.