Ineligible man downfield

UConn James

12 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

Yes, they technically not eligible, but if one or more ineligible linemen were to go down field, it would add to the confusion of the defenders.  Who am I supposed to cover?  Having them have to locate which one is eligible would give the offense an (unfair?) advantage.

By this reasoning, the defense shouldn’t blitz a defensive back because it would cause blocking confusion for an offense.

I personally hate the ineligible man downfield rule.  If an offensive lineman isn’t staying in to block, then that’s a risk the offense takes. 

I heard once that the NFL has - by far - the biggest rule book of any professional sport.

I respect tradition so I'm not advocating this exactly but...   It would be cool if you could line up with as many - or few - men on the LOS as you wanted.  And everybody could go downfield and was eligible.   And players could be moving at the time of the snap - in any direction - as long as they were on the correct side of the LOS.  

This would make offensive play-calling so much more interesting with so many more options.

• Angry 1

6 hours ago, UConn James said:

The play was inside the 5, iirc. I’d love to see the replay again but yes, as I recall they had the blue and yellow LOS and first down lines superimposed. Morse and Dawkins were just a bit behind Ike, and Ike was just past the LOS. Like a yard. And it’s not like he was doibb no g anything. They were all just ambling around looking over at the other side of field where the play was happening for the last five seconds. They were totally out of the play.

It may have been the letter of the rule but it definitely wasn’t the spirit of the rule.

IMO, the refs didn’t like the degree of brokenness of the play and just decided to throw a flag. It is after all the No Fun League.

I disagree totally.

They only showed a small part, but when Josh was in the pocket and looking to screen to the left - the O-Line were already at the 1 yard downfield.  Josh then scrambled forward and then threw the ball downfield to Knox and by that time I think they were 3+ yards downfield because the plays timing was messed up.

It looked like a perfectly reasonable call to me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I heard once that the NFL has - by far - the biggest rule book of any professional sport.

I respect tradition so I'm not advocating this exactly but...   It would be cool if you could line up with as many - or few - men on the LOS as you wanted.  And everybody could go downfield and was eligible.   And players could be moving at the time of the snap - in any direction - as long as they were on the correct side of the LOS.  

This would make offensive play-calling so much more interesting with so many more options.

This seems like an XFLish idea Vince McMahon would love!! 

On 11/26/2021 at 12:04 AM, eSJayDee said:

Yes, they technically not eligible, but if one or more ineligible linemen were to go down field, it would add to the confusion of the defenders.  Who am I supposed to cover?  Having them have to locate which one is eligible would give the offense an (unfair?) advantage.

if they are allowed Togo down the field says it’s a run play Or a screen.

doing something different can confuse the defense and being down the field engaging blocks would be PI unless it’s a designed run or screen.

on the attempted fake punt by New Orleans he wanted PI but the rules on a gunner allow physical contact down the field. Otherwise teams will game this just to draw PI penalties.

this is the same with a screen player or a pulling guard run.  It can be manipulated in ways to get completed passes by allowing them to block/ pick DBs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.