Did the team quit?

Success

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

To your point, I'd say it was the Chiefs game.

It seems this team came into this season only wanting to avenge last years loss, and beat the Chiefs, and then everyone was satisfied and packed it in.

there is a lot to this.  they were playing w so so much juice in that game, allen had like 300 yards on 15 completions, the pass rush got home, all kinds of stuff.

the thing that i just can't let go of is the penalties.  someone showed in another thread how we had so many bad penalties in our losses (not so much indy, we just got destroyed there, but the ones we did get cost us or lead to opponent points).  kc we had a lot too, but it was offset with the intensity and the juice we were playing with.

imo we have stepped too far past team discipline, and simply play dirty and sloppy.

our kick return game is hurting us bad too.  our whole special teams except for our kicker (who missed 2 yesterday!).  bad penalties and turnovers cost us yards, and cost us the pittz game, and really sealed in the loss vs indy.

31 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

They looked wiped on the sideline, even in the first half. Josh in particular looked dejected. I don't know if something is going on behind the scenes or if they just lack the fortitude right now to fight through that stuff. 

To the bolded:

It sure feels like the offense is out of synch even when putting up points. 

I don't want to derail the thread but it is hard not to wonder if the vaccine and all of the opinions on it are causing a divide.  Diggs had his acountability... availability tweet in the midst of one of beasley's twitter meltdowns.  We've seen that the oline is split on the topic.  Josh won't publicly declare his status which feels like it is so he doesn't ruffle feathers.  This year Gabe Davis has disappeared from the game plan.  When he was a part of it last week, we got a glimpse of that efficient killer offense.  Beasley is mia for long stretches of games. 

Let me be clear though that is all conjecture on my part and I could be waaaayyyyy off base.  It could just be the rest of the league catching up with the team.  As good as it was last year, Daboll's track record is not great and opposing coaches are paid well too.  I don't want to make too much of it because the offense is still 2nd in the league in ppg so while they are clearly working on things, the ship is not sunk yet.

It just feels like teams know they can bully the Bills.  A strong run game and a physical defense give this team fits.  Exactly the team Belichick built....

I agree with you though It just feels like there is something going on with the team beyond football.  

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, colin said:

our kicker (who missed 2 yesterday!). 

I put this on our coaching as well. It is the coach's job to put players in a position to succeed. And in both attempts, he instead setup Bass to fail. Career long-type attempts in the wind and rain.

Not only did McD take any possible wind from our sails by taking the wuss route, Not only did we not get any points, but he may have inadvertently sabotaged our kicker's mojo going forward by setting him up to miss.

Inexcusable calls by the HC.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I put this on our coaching as well. It is the coach's job to put players in a position to succeed. And in both attempts, he instead setup Bass to fail. Career long-type attempts in the wind and rain.

Not only did McD take any possible wind from our sails by taking the wuss route, Not only did we not get any points, but he may have inadvertently sabotaged our kicker's mojo going forward by setting him up to miss.

Inexcusable calls by the HC.

bass nearly hit that 57 yarder at the end of the half, so ya not an issue w that one.

going for it from 47 out was a mix of desperate and high risk low reward.

28 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

To your point, I'd say it was the Chiefs game.

It seems this team came into this season only wanting to avenge last years loss, and beat the Chiefs, and then everyone was satisfied and packed it in.

Exactly. We built this team to beat the Chiefs, but not to beat teams with good running games

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

To your point, yeah the team has clearly quit.  A little at first (TN game, all those mental mistakes) then some more (utterly inept O at Jax) then all at once yesterday where we saw the football equivalent of full body vomiting.

I'd love to see a strong comeback against NO, but not holding my breath.  I think McD has lost the team and it's all over but the crying.

one more thought, any chance that the rest of the team are sick of it being the Josh Allen show 24x7?

well, if they don't want it to be the Josh Allen show 24X7 perhaps the OL and DL could stop being seives, and the RBs could actually be competient, then again, Daboll can't call an offensive series.  

55 minutes ago, damj said:

Exactly. We built this team to beat the Chiefs, but not to beat teams with good running games

bad for us. KC is an actual running back away from having a dominant run game as well.  They have the OL, mostly because they drafted Humphry, and we, well, drafted Basham.  

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The game was already lost. Why risk further injury when you're down so much late in the 4th? Dust yourself off and prepare for the Saints. 10-7 will be good enough to get into the playoffs. In order for that to happen they only need to go 4-3 the remaining games. That's entirely possible. Falcons, Jets, Saints, and Panthers should all be wins. If they can eek out a win against 1 of the 2 Pats matchups then they'll be in prime position. The season is not over. Don't let the negativity of this board get to u. 

Not certain they can go 4-3 the rest of the way as I would expect the team to lose both NE games, the Tampa game and Thursday nights game.  I mean the pattern to beat the Bills is now out there - lots of defensive pressure, don't worry about any running game, and against the Bills defense, run , run , run.  But should the team make the playoffs it will be a short ride I would expect, given that they haven't beaten a team with a winning record yet (I don't count KC because at the time they didn't have a winning record).   I do like your optimism though, we need more of that, but if you've watched this team as long as I have its hard not to expect the other shoe to drop....

5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The McKittrick fumble was a backbreaker, but I think the game was lost on the Josh INT where the refs ignored the blatant IC and hold on Gabe Davis.  Instead of tying the game, Colts go up 14-0 and never look back.

Yeah that one hurt. I felt it was before that though after Bills scored making it 14-7 and Bills D if not for the roughing passer penalty, would have  had Colts stopped for what would have been a 3 and out with the momentum shift.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah that one hurt. I felt it was before that though after Bills scored making it 14-7 and Bills D if not for the roughing passer penalty, would have  had Colts stopped for what would have been a 3 and out with the momentum shift.

Good choice.  Unfortunately, too many "that was the play that cost us the game" moments for the Bills in this one.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

mcd teams get murked and lay down every season OP, ever single one.

confused-jaguarsfan.gif

52 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

well, if they don't want it to be the Josh Allen show 24X7 perhaps the OL and DL could stop being seives, and the RBs could actually be competient, then again, Daboll can't call an offensive series.  

bad for us. KC is an actual running back away from having a dominant run game as well.  They have the OL, mostly because they drafted Humphry, and we, well, drafted Basham.  

I dunno, Chiefs fans have been pretty annoyed with their offensive line too, especially giving up a first for Orlando Brown who has disappointed. Just from stuff I've seen. 

49 minutes ago, chaccof said:

Not certain they can go 4-3 the rest of the way as I would expect the team to lose both NE games, the Tampa game and Thursday nights game.  I mean the pattern to beat the Bills is now out there - lots of defensive pressure, don't worry about any running game, and against the Bills defense, run , run , run.  But should the team make the playoffs it will be a short ride I would expect, given that they haven't beaten a team with a winning record yet (I don't count KC because at the time they didn't have a winning record).   I do like your optimism though, we need more of that, but if you've watched this team as long as I have its hard not to expect the other shoe to drop....

I just don't see Trevor Simean beating the Bills. Now can they slow down Kamara? 

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Noticeable vibe shift after the McKenzie fumble.  Everyone, including the team, seemed to adopt the "just not our day" mentality. 

That said, something is off with this team and you could see it right from jump... for Allen to react the way he did to the Ford false start on the first possession of the game was telling. 

These coaches refuse to punish players for terrible play or penalties. Instead of giving Bates a chance just keep schlepping Ford or Boettger out there. As soon as McKelvttrick fumbles after tripping over himself,  I pull him. But no, just trott him back out there. Changes have to come....discipline has to begin....no more Instagram practices. 

1 hour ago, chaccof said:

Here's my optimism, the bills will beat NE at least once. I like the bills chances vs rookie qbs and they just have been owning their division for the past few years. Bucs isn't scary as well and I expect the Gmen to play em tough tonight

5 hours ago, Success said:

I was trying to remember the last time I watched a Bills game and thought, "wow - they're not even trying."

It felt that way in the 4th yesterday - particularly the defense.  There was one drive, I think it was after Allen's 2nd INT:  The Colts had a 2nd and 10 from the 11, and Taylor kind of danced through our D to get to the 1.  There was a guy who had a chance to tackle him right away, and then every other yard or so.  Just half-hearted arm tackles the whole run.  They were mailing it in at that point.  There is no way they were putting forth even close to full effort.

The body language was bad the whole 2nd half.  It looks like guys were either sulking or not taking the game seriously - which reflected the comments of one of the Jags defenders after we lost to that team.  

It's a bad sign when a team quits on a coach, and combined w/ how undisciplined they are w/ all of the penalties, I feel like many of our problems start w/ the coaching staff right now.  I'm a huge McD supporter and I'm happy he coaches the Bills - but these are issues that they need to find a way to correct.

they were down 27 and missed to FGs by mid 3Q…the team pretty much quit playing.  Had McKenzie not fumbled and they got a FG….2nd half kickoff they could have tied or just got a FG making it 17-13 or tied at 17 and the game is different.

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Noticeable vibe shift after the McKenzie fumble.  Everyone, including the team, seemed to adopt the "just not our day" mentality. 

That said, something is off with this team and you could see it right from jump... for Allen to react the way he did to the Ford false start on the first possession of the game was telling. 

I felt this as well too. Score was 17-7 when mckenzie fumbled. Feel like we could've gotten it to 17-10 (or better) on the drive and made it a game. After that fumble though, it was like the defense just gave up. In their defense though, they were probably exausted even at that point 

19 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

They were cold and wet and just didn't feel like playing outside yesterday.

The team had that look of disinterest again, but I'm sure that this time they'll use this loss as a wake up call. (sic)

Yeah really. One would think the dome team would have a tougher time in the weather like that than the team that is said to be "used" to it...

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.