Did the team quit?

Success

I was trying to remember the last time I watched a Bills game and thought, "wow - they're not even trying."

It felt that way in the 4th yesterday - particularly the defense.  There was one drive, I think it was after Allen's 2nd INT:  The Colts had a 2nd and 10 from the 11, and Taylor kind of danced through our D to get to the 1.  There was a guy who had a chance to tackle him right away, and then every other yard or so.  Just half-hearted arm tackles the whole run.  They were mailing it in at that point.  There is no way they were putting forth even close to full effort.

The body language was bad the whole 2nd half.  It looks like guys were either sulking or not taking the game seriously - which reflected the comments of one of the Jags defenders after we lost to that team.  

It's a bad sign when a team quits on a coach, and combined w/ how undisciplined they are w/ all of the penalties, I feel like many of our problems start w/ the coaching staff right now.  I'm a huge McD supporter and I'm happy he coaches the Bills - but these are issues that they need to find a way to correct.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Noticeable vibe shift after the McKenzie fumble.  Everyone, including the team, seemed to adopt the "just not our day" mentality. 

That said, something is off with this team and you could see it right from jump... for Allen to react the way he did to the Ford false start on the first possession of the game was telling. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That said, something is off with this team and you could see it right from jump... for Allen to react the way he did to the Ford false start on the first possession of the game was telling. 

When its felt like a grind for weeks with constant mistakes and errors eventually it will get to anyone. I agree it was very telling

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

To your point, yeah the team has clearly quit.  A little at first (TN game, all those mental mistakes) then some more (utterly inept O at Jax) then all at once yesterday where we saw the football equivalent of full body vomiting.

I'd love to see a strong comeback against NO, but not holding my breath.  I think McD has lost the team and it's all over but the crying.

one more thought, any chance that the rest of the team are sick of it being the Josh Allen show 24x7?

Edited by dorquemada
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

52 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Noticeable vibe shift after the McKenzie fumble.  Everyone, including the team, seemed to adopt the "just not our day" mentality. 

Ya.  He's frustrated as hell with the Oline.  He was yelling as he left the first in the first half of the jets game too.  How the ***** was the first part of his sentence. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Ya.  He's frustrated as hell with the Oline.  He was yelling as he left the first in the first half of the jets game too.  How the ***** was the first part of his sentence. 

Josh is frustrated with the line and he is frustrated with himself. That is the double edged nature of the huge desire and drive he has. He is hard on himself. I feel he has been pressing most of the year even in his very good games. I think he needs to learn to just breathe and relax a little. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh is frustrated with the line and he is frustrated with himself. That is the double edged nature of the huge desire and drive he has. He is hard on himself. I feel he has been pressing most of the year even in his very good games. I think he needs to learn to just breathe and relax a little. 

The added pressure of the.mvp talk and huge contract is part of that. I'm assuming he has a sports shrink, if not he should get one, if so he should think about trading in for a new one

1 hour ago, Success said:

I was trying to remember the last time I watched a Bills game and thought, "wow - they're not even trying."

It felt that way in the 4th yesterday - particularly the defense.  There was one drive, I think it was after Allen's 2nd INT:  The Colts had a 2nd and 10 from the 11, and Taylor kind of danced through our D to get to the 1.  There was a guy who had a chance to tackle him right away, and then every other yard or so.  Just half-hearted arm tackles the whole run.  They were mailing it in at that point.  There is no way they were putting forth even close to full effort.

The body language was bad the whole 2nd half.  It looks like guys were either sulking or not taking the game seriously - which reflected the comments of one of the Jags defenders after we lost to that team.  

It's a bad sign when a team quits on a coach, and combined w/ how undisciplined they are w/ all of the penalties, I feel like many of our problems start w/ the coaching staff right now.  I'm a huge McD supporter and I'm happy he coaches the Bills - but these are issues that they need to find a way to correct.

The game was already lost. Why risk further injury when you're down so much late in the 4th? Dust yourself off and prepare for the Saints. 10-7 will be good enough to get into the playoffs. In order for that to happen they only need to go 4-3 the remaining games. That's entirely possible. Falcons, Jets, Saints, and Panthers should all be wins. If they can eek out a win against 1 of the 2 Pats matchups then they'll be in prime position. The season is not over. Don't let the negativity of this board get to u. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know about anyone else, but it sure kinda looked like they did at a certain point. I couldn't watch anymore myself. Believe it was not long into 3rd qter I changed it. Could easily tell how the rest of the story was going to play out. It's been a while since I was disappointed this much in this team as yesterday. Hell I wasn't as frustrated when we lost to Jags as I was yesterday, speaking for myself anyways....

Last time I was this disappointed was Josh's rookie season with the pathetic, yet laughable WR's he had to work with that couldn't catch a cold.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The game was already lost. Why risk further injury when you're down so much late in the 4th? Dust yourself off and prepare for the Saints. 10-7 will be good enough to get into the playoffs. In order for that to happen they only need to go 4-3 the remaining games. That's entirely possible. Falcons, Jets, Saints, and Panthers should all be wins. If they can eek out a win against 1 of the 2 Pats matchups then they'll be in prime position. The season is not over. Don't let the negativity of this board get to u. 

Appreciate the response, and I still feel okay about the season.  Not as good as I did - but like you said, there are enough games on the schedule that we should be favored in, and if we can just split w/ the Pats, or beat TB, or both - we could be right back in one of the top positions heading into the playoffs.

I just feel like the team needs to find its way again. They look disinterested at times, and the penalties/undisciplined play is really costing us.  I believe there is such a thing as a "championship winning mentality."  We don't have it now - the Colts did yesterday.  We can get it back, but I don't think that happens magically. They have to work at it, at all levels.

2 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Lack of o-line and running game is getting to Josh. dont blame him.

I've never seen a QB, going back to when I started watching about 1970, who when pressured and his Oline doesn't provide support will react positively. I've seen Montana, Young, Rodgers and even Sir Tom Brady look bad when this happens. Heck Denver did it to Brady a couple times in the playoffs. We attempt little to no running game, he scrambled and made some plays early this year and let the line off the hook. Now teams are just playing the pass, containing him, pressuring him and covering. His coaches have no answer....yet!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.