Bills' Tyler Bass ranks as NFL's best kicker heading into Week 11

HOUSE

Gotta give it to our GM,  Bass is one of his and the team's best ever picks and at a critically important position to boot.  Get it? See how I snuck in "boot" on a post about a kicker?  And my spouse says I'm not half as clever as I think I am....*sigh*

• Haha (+1) 2

The Bills continue to defy the draft theories espoused here over the years:

Don't draft a kicker-Tyler Bass

Don't draft a QB in the 1st round-Josh Allen

Don't trade up-Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, Knox

I hope they destroy another theory in next year's draft and stop treating the RB spot like they're a dime a dozen & spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB.   While we're at it, maybe it's time to draft a punter too.  

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The Bills continue to defy the draft theories espoused here over the years:

Don't draft a kicker-Tyler Bass

Don't draft a QB in the 1st round-Josh Allen

Don't trade up-Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, Knox

I hope they destroy another theory in next year's draft and stop treating the RB spot like they're a dime a dozen & spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB.   While we're at it, maybe it's time to draft a punter too.  

The first one, sure.  The 2nd, no way.  You definitely want to draft a QB high in the 1st.  As for trading-up, if you've filled holes and want to get guys you've targeted, you do it. 

As for drafting a punter, again if there's a good one, you take him in the later rounds.

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

The first one, sure.  The 2nd, no way.  You definitely want to draft a QB high in the 1st.  As for trading-up, if you've filled holes and want to get guys you've targeted, you do it. 

As for drafting a punter, again if there's a good one, you take him in the later rounds.

Go back to the archives after the Bills had failed with JP & EJ as 1st round picks.  There was a large faction that was against ever drafting another 1st round QB, with their argument being to fill the other holes on offense with high draft choices and then try to get lucky with a later round QB because the hit rate on 1st rounder QBs was less than 50%.  I was not one of them & always thought get the QB in the 1st round 1st, that you're not going to ruin a young QB with a bad supporting cast as a rookie.  Since Josh proved them wrong plus the fact the Bills won't be in the market for a 1st round QB, the posts no longer are needed to debate either way.  

There's still a large always trade down group on this board, another group I'm not a part of.  

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Go back to the archives after the Bills had failed with JP & EJ as 1st round picks.  There was a large faction that was against ever drafting another 1st round QB, with their argument being to fill the other holes on offense with high draft choices and then try to get lucky with a later round QB because the hit rate on 1st rounder QBs was less than 50%.  I was not one of them & always thought get the QB in the 1st round 1st, that you're not going to ruin a young QB with a bad supporting cast as a rookie.  Since Josh proved them wrong plus the fact the Bills won't be in the market for a 1st round QB, the posts no longer are needed to debate either way.  

There's still a large always trade down group on this board, another group I'm not a part of.  

I don't remember there being too many people thinking you could just plug in any QB and expect to win.  True the hit rate for 1st round QB's is low, but it's far lower for later rounds.

And the trade-up or down or stand pat is situational.  At this stage, I think the Bills should go after who they want.

19 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Right?!?! Just think about all of the all pro, diamond in the rough linemen the Bills passed on to pick this guy! 

Hey Tom Brady was a 6th Round pick....we could have picked our next Franchise QB with that pick !!!!!

10 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

90% of this board after week 1 last year omg we need a kicker, cut this dude, he’s terrible lol.

10 hours ago, chris heff said:

I was one of them, I was wrong and I’m never wrong.

We said the same thing about Bills draft pick PK Gary Anderson, who we then kicked to the curb at the end of training camp.

How’d that work out?

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

We said the same thing about Bills draft pick PK Gary Anderson, who we then kicked to the curb at the end of training camp.

How’d that work out?

Yeah but Anderson was intentionally kicking poorly, trying to get cut.

Bass is spoiling us. He has become almost automatic--we're only surprised if he misses (yeah, only once all season). To crown his as the best (in the Justin Tucker-ish category), I'm still waiting for that dramatic game ending and winning 55+ yard field goal. That is the only thing he really has not done yet. Show you can be ice, in a dramatic way, at he end of game, and the kicking world is yours Tyler Bass!

13 hours ago, Doc said:

See I thought that as well, but I'm willing to eat a few yards of field position on average if it means our kicker is more accurate. 

Haack has had a bad year so far, but we also have to be near the bottom of the league in total punts attempted.  Aside from the blocked punt, he's also had some issues with touchbacks (which could be a coverage issue).  However even with 4 touchbacks in like 25 punts his net average is still only a couple of yards off the league lead.  5 yards in 25 punts is 125 total yards of field position.

Meanwhile Mason Crosby is having the worst season of his career with Bojorquez holding for him.  And Jason Sanders has already missed 4 kicks this year, after missing 3 total in 2020 with Haack.  I'll take the guy who makes my kicker confident as I'm more inclined to want the guy who helps put the maximum number of points on the board.

Thinking Bass needs to make a couple of 55-60 yard game winners to be mentioned in the same breath as Tucker. 

He would also have to make his next 21 FG's in a row to tie Tucker's career percentage. 

Last I looked we have 5 cold weather games this season in Dec and Jan, when kicking the ball is like kicking a bowling ball.

8 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Thinking Bass needs to make a couple of 55-60 yard game winners to be mentioned in the same breath as Tucker. 

He would also have to make his next 21 FG's in a row to tie Tucker's career percentage. 

Last I looked we have 5 cold weather games this season in Dec and Jan, when kicking the ball is like kicking a bowling ball.

That's why its always a challenge to make a pro bowl as a kicker/punter in buffalo.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.