Poor roster decisions still an issue with this regime

FilthyBeast

There are reasons that Breida couldn't hang on in SF and Miami.  His inability to remain healthy and occasional ball security problems sent him down the road to Orchard Park.  What I saw from him yesterday, was him getting open as the DB dropped coverage on a busted play.  I also saw him score on a well blocked play where he showed good acceleration.  Unfortunately, I also saw him cough up the ball and kill a promising drive. I also saw him go down on first contact.  He'll never be a high volume back but he can be of some limited value as a real change of pace.

As to the other four points:

AJ was great and has been whenever he is called on.

Davis is under utilized and will prove his value if one of the main three misses some time.

d-line rotation all looked pretty good.  Some guys played the run better than others but overall I don't have a concern.

I agree that the punter is a weakness.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Frankly, I put that on Josh to see that and adjust properly. Something he failed to do there, and on more than a few other plays. Josh's lack of presnap reads and lack of situational awareness has been a problem all season, and especially in our losses.

Same thing for when Dawkins went out and it was 3rd and 13. You have a rookie, backup LT in the game on 3rd and Long. Josh MUST know that pressure will be coming and either step up/move around early, and/or get rid of the ball. ANYTHING but standing there, holding onto the ball, and taking a sack there which pushed us out of FG range.

I love the dude, but he needs to start channeling way more Brady and get the ball out immediately or make the smart play and throw it away.

Knowing that a late-round rookie with very little experience was coming in to play left tackle, I thought they would have called run to the right or some kind of roling pocket to the right.  Everyone knew Doyle was going to get beaten on that play.  Why in the world would they call a slow-developing pass play?

I thought Daboll called a great game, but that one play was a head scratcher.  It nearly got Josh killed.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

I think Brieda adds an element that is otherwise missing in the backfield. He had a nice day filling in and stepping up.

But something has gone undiscussed (from what I have seen) that is concerning and might speak to why we don't see more of him. Did you see the HUGE hit on Josh when the blitzer was not picked up and went unnoticed by Allen?  Matt ran right by him as he was heading in. I'm not suggesting I know his responsibility on that play, but it has to be SOMETHING. Didn't block or even chip. How about a shout out to Josh so he isn't totally blindsided.

Funbles, missed blocks---that's the kind of stuff that can get a seemingly good back benched.

Pretty sure that wasn't Josh's blind side.  Didn't that blitzer come off the left end of the D line and around the right guard?  I think that guy is Josh's responsibility and he was 100% staring down the left side of the field.

• Agree 1

I think the GAMEDAY roster management is an issue. I have since 2019. The use of Gore was repulsive. Then the constant inactivity of Yeldon was aggravating. This year not using Breida and Davis more is silly. The guaranteed roster spot for Taiwan Jones is a complete waste. You can find another guy to do what he does with ease. If ALL you can do is play STs, you better at least be a return guy. Also, I’m all for a punter Change. I just can’t see it actually happening.

9 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Knowing that a late-round rookie with very little experience was coming in to play left tackle, I thought they would have called run to the right or some kind of roling pocket to the right.  Everyone knew Doyle was going to get beaten on that play.  Why in the world would they call a slow-developing pass play?

I thought Daboll called a great game, but that one play was a head scratcher.  It nearly got Josh killed.

True. They didn't help the rookie any with that play call, but we needed 13 yards so it was going to take some time no matter what. Even with that, I still expect Josh to assume he'll have to be on the move or get rid of it quickly. Anything but standing back there like The Return of Bledsoe.

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Pretty sure that wasn't Josh's blind side.  Didn't that blitzer come off the left end of the D line and around the right guard?  I think that guy is Josh's responsibility and he was 100% staring down the left side of the field.

Yep, ran right into his face and never saw him coming.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If these are our biggest mistakes with the roster, then we should all be thrilled with the FO and coaching performance. :thumbsup:

1) There is something "off" about Breida that fans arent privy to. The Bills are now the 3rd coaching staff in about 3 years that brought the guy in, but decided against playing him much. Maybe he is fumbling in practice. Maybe he isnt answering the coach's questions properly. Maybe he dips his wings in ranch. We dont know, and we won't know, but I have a hard time putting that all on our coaches. Yes, it was nice to see him get involved if we are going to be swing passing it to the RB. And I have been calling for him to get some playing time for the past couple of weeks. But there is something the staff knows that we dont.

2) Having quality depth isnt an issue. lol This is actually a +1 for the FO/Coaching

3) Agreed he should have more playing time. Even if it is at the cost of Sanders and Beasley. Who probably need the rest at their age anyways.

4) Now THIS is a tricky one. Yeah, he had a decent game yesterday. But the game he suited up for previously (I believe Tenn), he had a HORRIBLE game. I was pleasantly surprised with him yesterday and just happy he wasnt a huge liability again.

5) I dont care about punting. Best solution: dont punt.

What we are apparently complaining about is quality depth. Your #2 is my favorite.

I like the idea of more speed in the backfield, but wasn’t it Breida who spit the ball forward during a nice run yesterday? I know they all fumble at times, but the coaches are there all day, every day. I love Gabe Davis’ potential, and I’m sure he’ll get his opportunities when the older guys move on.

If there is any one area to complain about, it’s the OL, but that didn’t make the list. We have real issues there that are more serious than “quality depth, who gets snaps?”  We have some starters there who should be depth players. 

I’ll trust their judgment on these calls. Perfect? I’m sure that’s not the case, but who is?  We’ll never know what we don’t know, or how it might have gone if another path was taken. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I was surprised Josh didn’t see him, and unsure of what Breida’s responsibility was there. What I know for sure was my neighbors had to hear me as that went down. At times like that you want a Paul Bunyan playing QB for you!  OUCH! 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was surprised Josh didn’t see him, and unsure of what Breida’s responsibility was there. What I know for sure was my neighbors had to hear me as that went down. At times like that you want a Paul Bunyan playing QB for you!  OUCH! 

I clocked that sack at 2.8 seconds, Brieda might not have realized he had the assignment, but Josh had plenty of time to get rid of the ball.  I suspect he will realize that in the film room this week.  Very lucky it was a db on a blitz, and not a 275 pound DE.

32 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think the GAMEDAY roster management is an issue. I have since 2019. The use of Gore was repulsive. Then the constant inactivity of Yeldon was aggravating. This year not using Breida and Davis more is silly. The guaranteed roster spot for Taiwan Jones is a complete waste. You can find another guy to do what he does with ease. If ALL you can do is play STs, you better at least be a return guy. Also, I’m all for a punter Change. I just can’t see it actually happening.

The punter issue is the least of my worries and likely was with the Bills too because they assumed they'd be scoring a ton again just like last year and they have been in a lot of cases.

But the RB issues runs deep with this team as you mentioned going back to when they thought it was a good idea to make Frank Gore the premier back.

I've said all along that Singletary is an above average NFL RB if he gets the carries but yet they still want to justifying wasting another 3rd round pick on Moss who does absolutely nothing well. Breida is no superstar but he made a world of difference yesterday with his speed alone and why he needs to be out there the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

I clocked that sack at 2.8 seconds, Brieda might not have realized he had the assignment, but Josh had plenty of time to get rid of the ball.  I suspect he will realize that in the film room this week.  Very lucky it was a db on a blitz, and not a 275 pound DE.

Would not be surprised if he thinks of it in the ice bath too! 

I don’t know who that was on, but I know I let out a loud word I will not type here and jumped out of my chair. I think Josh was the ONLY one who didn’t see it coming. Glad he’s OK and managed not to fumble! 

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not trying to spoil yesterdays thumping of another bottom feeder, but there are a few issues that I perceive as puzzling at best in terms of the active gameday roster:

1) Matt Breida/Zack Moss - why did it take half the season to realize this guy should be active and getting snaps? Zack Moss has proven to be useless and we keep wasting carries on him for the same 2 yard gain almost every time he touches the ball. Should be Singletary/Breida the rest of the season without question. If they insist on dressing Moss then keep Taiwan Jones inactive.

2) AJ Klein - no he should not permanetly replace Edmunds, but this guy is a true grisled veteran that is always around the football. He proved it last year when he replaced Milano for a significant stretch and again this year when on the field. I get he's not the best in coverage but he's a throwback type of player....gritty and physical which is what this team needs more of.

3) Gabriel Davis - this is the trickiest one because obviously we can't really reduce the top 3 WR's snap counts but seems like all he does is make big plays when he's on the field.

4) Obada - seemed like he was very disruptive yesterday and had the only official sack of the game. Again another tricky situation because of the numbers game but if we are going to insist on giving former Panthers players playing time it should be him over Vernon Butler.

5) Punter is horrible and will cost this team down the stretch just like the Steelers game. Should have already found a replacement by now.

If those are the worst roster decisions, then I'd say the Bills are doing okay.  

Breida fumbled, and prior to Sunday had done nothing. 

Klein is exactly the problem you describe - not great in coverage, which is a problem in a passing league.  You don't want him to replace Edmunds, so what do you want to do with him?

Davis seems to be solid, but there are three good guys ahead of him. 

Obada is doing fine as he is. 

It's better to have the punter be the worst player on your team than when Moorman was the best player on the team.  Not saying he's the worst, by the way.   And before you're too tough on him, you should think about these facts.  Bojo was the holder on place kicks last year, and both Bass's FG% and XP% have improved this seasons with Haack holding.  Mason Crosby made 100% of his FGs last season; this season, with Bojo holding, he's under 70%.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A little bit slower? That is like saying I am a little bit slower than Usain Bolt! I have had milk go sour in the time it takes Haack to punt

Fortunately, the Bills punt less than three times a game, tied for third lowest in the league. But he does seem to take his time punting. 

• Like (+1) 1

This would all be so much easier if we just had a clear cut " best RB", but we dont. If you took the speed of Breida and the pass catching of Moss with a little of Singletary's skills we'd have a complete back. And all their flaws are magnified by the OL's inability to run block A-C gap. This won't get fixed this season but probably next year.

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not trying to spoil yesterdays thumping of another bottom feeder, but there are a few issues that I perceive as puzzling at best in terms of the active gameday roster:

1) Matt Breida/Zack Moss - why did it take half the season to realize this guy should be active and getting snaps? Zack Moss has proven to be useless and we keep wasting carries on him for the same 2 yard gain almost every time he touches the ball. Should be Singletary/Breida the rest of the season without question. If they insist on dressing Moss then keep Taiwan Jones inactive.

2) AJ Klein - no he should not permanetly replace Edmunds, but this guy is a true grisled veteran that is always around the football. He proved it last year when he replaced Milano for a significant stretch and again this year when on the field. I get he's not the best in coverage but he's a throwback type of player....gritty and physical which is what this team needs more of.

3) Gabriel Davis - this is the trickiest one because obviously we can't really reduce the top 3 WR's snap counts but seems like all he does is make big plays when he's on the field.

4) Obada - seemed like he was very disruptive yesterday and had the only official sack of the game. Again another tricky situation because of the numbers game but if we are going to insist on giving former Panthers players playing time it should be him over Vernon Butler.

5) Punter is horrible and will cost this team down the stretch just like the Steelers game. Should have already found a replacement by now.

Billi?

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't understand this, seems like this forum would rather be a lovefest like the Bills lockerroom instead of addressing relevant issues at hand and asking serious questions like whether or not this team is good enough??

Maybe we should all just start posting instagram and ticktock videos here then.

Because it's really a social club where the validity of your posts and how people treat you is based upon how known you are and who likes you and to some if you speak truth it hurts.

Don't let it discourage you.

I don't agree with every one of your points but I agree with most. 

Edited by Sharky7337

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't understand this, seems like this forum would rather be a lovefest like the Bills lockerroom instead of addressing relevant issues at hand and asking serious questions like whether or not this team is good enough??

Maybe we should all just start posting instagram and ticktock videos here then.

Sorry, I don't buy this.  

People here want to talk about serious issues, not made up stuff just to talk.   You suggest that AJ Klein is roster mistake, but you admit that he isn't better than the guys who are starting ahead of him.  Obada too.   And Davis too.  So, what are people supposed to say other than, in so many words, what you said makes no sense.  

How much difference is it going to make in the team's performance if Davis is on the field for five more plays, or Klein is, or Obada is?   Because if you admit that they aren't truly difference makers compared to the starters, how are these "poor roster decisions"?

Go ahead, explain why the Bills will be better if they put Davis on the field and sit Sanders or Beasley.   How many more passes will he catch compared to the guy going to the bench?  How many more yards will he get?   I get that it isn't fair to ask you to prove that, but at least you can explain why you think he'd be a real improvement, other than saying he looks like a good receiver.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.