Poor roster decisions still an issue with this regime

FilthyBeast

41 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not trying to spoil yesterdays thumping of another bottom feeder, but there are a few issues that I perceive as puzzling at best in terms of the active gameday roster:

1) Matt Breida/Zack Moss - why did it take half the season to realize this guy should be active and getting snaps? Zack Moss has proven to be useless and we keep wasting carries on him for the same 2 yard gain almost every time he touches the ball. Should be Singletary/Breida the rest of the season without question. If they insist on dressing Moss then keep Taiwan Jones inactive.

2) AJ Klein - no he should not permanetly replace Edmunds, but this guy is a true grisled veteran that is always around the football. He proved it last year when he replaced Milano for a significant stretch and again this year when on the field. I get he's not the best in coverage but he's a throwback type of player....gritty and physical which is what this team needs more of.

3) Gabriel Davis - this is the trickiest one because obviously we can't really reduce the top 3 WR's snap counts but seems like all he does is make big plays when he's on the field.

4) Obada - seemed like he was very disruptive yesterday and had the only official sack of the game. Again another tricky situation because of the numbers game but if we are going to insist on giving former Panthers players playing time it should be him over Vernon Butler.

5) Punter is horrible and will cost this team down the stretch just like the Steelers game. Should have already found a replacement by now.

Yes. You are. Otherwise no need to try and minimize the win by mentioning "bottom feeder" and posting the day after a big bounce back win. 

The only "roster questions" I have here are a bunch of the roster of sad, lonely and pathetic minded people are not cut from the list of people that can post here. 

Freaking, eat a moon pie. Take an Exlax. Go for a long walk. Find something to bring you joy in life other than the attempts to garner attention by dealing in general asshatadry on a message board.

Have a splended day and I hope you and the family are in good health!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not trying to spoil yesterdays thumping of another bottom feeder, but there are a few issues that I perceive as puzzling at best in terms of the active gameday roster:

1) Matt Breida/Zack Moss - why did it take half the season to realize this guy should be active and getting snaps? Zack Moss has proven to be useless and we keep wasting carries on him for the same 2 yard gain almost every time he touches the ball. Should be Singletary/Breida the rest of the season without question. If they insist on dressing Moss then keep Taiwan Jones inactive.

2) AJ Klein - no he should not permanetly replace Edmunds, but this guy is a true grisled veteran that is always around the football. He proved it last year when he replaced Milano for a significant stretch and again this year when on the field. I get he's not the best in coverage but he's a throwback type of player....gritty and physical which is what this team needs more of.

3) Gabriel Davis - this is the trickiest one because obviously we can't really reduce the top 3 WR's snap counts but seems like all he does is make big plays when he's on the field.

4) Obada - seemed like he was very disruptive yesterday and had the only official sack of the game. Again another tricky situation because of the numbers game but if we are going to insist on giving former Panthers players playing time it should be him over Vernon Butler.

5) Punter is horrible and will cost this team down the stretch just like the Steelers game. Should have already found a replacement by now.

1) Brieda did some good things yesterday and he also lost a fumble and failed to even chip on an untouched blitzer as came out of the backfield. In general, he is not very good at pass blocking and, on a team whose weakest link is their Oline, I'm not sure he is someone we want in the backfield a lot. I like his speed, but what do we give up in return.

2) A.J. Klein is great in his role. I'm not sure he should be seeing much more time on the field unless they are really struggling to stop the run.

3) I think one of the issues in Davis' diminished role this year is a bad ankle that I don't think, even now, is completely 100%. I love Davis and, if he is healthy, I think he should be on the field as much as much as Sanders and targeted as much.

4) Obada played well yesterday and he also has had games where he didn't play that well. Also, the defense is one of the best in the league. I don't think I would quibble about the rotation they are using on their D-line.

5) Punter isn't that big of an issue aand if you think that is what cost them the Steelers game, then you must not have watched the game.

Now do you honestly believe the above really represent poor roster decisions that warrant its own thread? A front office that completely rebuilt this team into one of the better teams in the NFL and this is what you choose to demonstrate that "poor roster decisions are still an issue with this regime?" This just in, every regime in the NFL has hits and misses.

You spent all last week going on and on, ad nauseum, about what an awful team this is and, rather than talk about things they addressed after last week, or anything positive at all, the first thing you do today is start a thread about how the front office doesn't know what it is doing with roster decisions.

If the above is the best you can come up with, then you really missed the mark of what your thread title implies...

46 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

1. Agree 100% on Moss. He did have a nice touchdown yesterday, that needs to be acknowledged. However, you saw with Breida the immediate speed difference. I just don't understand what Moss has done to have it written in stone that he is our Red Zone back no matter what. 

2. AJ Klein is okay. Pregame kept talking about the Chargers game last season that won him DPOTW. He's the first linebacker off the bench, I don't see him as more than that. 

3. Gabe Davis, again 100% agree. Like Point #1, why it's written in stone that Emmanuel Sanders and Cole Beasley have to get every rep at #2 and #3 WR, I'm not sure. I have not understood why Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie are not rotated in more. My concern would be that Sanders or Beasley get hurt, and Gabe and Isaiah have little time on field, are they going to be ready to go? 

4. They kept 10 lineman, and that's the group they steal from to make the Gameday 48. 

5. Punter has been a sore spot. Bojorquez wasn't consistent either. 

I know that this isn't the most popular take and this has been dismissed on a certain morning radio stations... but I tend to believe the coaching staff and Beane (included) have been holding back (especially these last three games) in anticipation of the the last quarter of the year and the playoffs.   

I think it was Jay Feeley that kept on alluding to this throughout yesterday's game meaning he kept on referring to the Bill's being 'Championship caliber' and it's not only about winning right now that counts.. but it's as important (if not more important) to be healthy and peaking near the end of the season.... when you consider the last three Super Bowl champs all had 'average' records by this time in the season... and each team got healthy and peaked at the right time to go onto win Super Bowls. 

Understanding this is nice and convenient take as a Bill fan...   but I see how yesterday was the first time all season that I remember JA being under center most of the time... they targeted Diggs the most since game 1...  and they started throwing to Davis again..  I want to believe there is something to this take.

Go Bills

Chicken...Egg...

Daboll obviously switched things up yesterday. Was it for a reason? To address some lackluster performances? Was it planned to keep it vanilla the past several weeks hoping you could hold back and still win? 

I think Daboll is stubborn. He makes his plan and is slow to change. If he looks wrong, he wants to look right. It takes a wake up call to be right in a new way rather than proving you were never wrong. Its like with Peterman. Hoping he would have that moment to say see we knew something when we started him. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’m all for a Singletary/Breida or Moss/Breida approach to the running game, but I don’t like Singletary/Moss as I feel they’re too similar. Would have liked to see one of the two moved, but I get it - we’re not getting much in return for either. Perhaps the mistake was drafting Moss a year after spending a 3rd on Singletary when both run in the 4.6s.

Singletary and Moss are painfully slow and painful to watch… It was obvious just how much faster Breida is from my view from the couch…

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

To the OP:  You'll run into huge resistance around here, as you have already done so (not surprising) regardless of the validity of your points.

Most responders will not have read them anyway.

Well the thing is that his points don't matter if the subject is "Poor roster decisions..."

So all the personnel decisions have to do with backups except the punter, who at 25 punts in 9 games plays less than 3 plays a game (plus his holding duties which by all accounts he's really good at): 

1. Moss/Breida - RB2 vs. RB3

2. Klein is a backup, Edmunds is a better player but they are very different

3. We all like Davis a lot but on this team he is WR4 and it's hard to take snaps away from top 3. 

4. Obada - One nice play yesterday tipping a pass but he is DE5 behind Hughes, Rousseau, Addison and Epenesa, and maybe behind Basham. Who gets fewer snaps? If they have 8 DL active on game days, the first 4 are in and when healthy it's Oliver, Star and Phillips. It was Zimmer, so now maybe Obada is active more, will come down to him or Butler. 

It's one thing to criticize the construction of the roster if the team is left with some holes amongst the starters. 2 of the 5 (Breida and Obada) are clearly bottom 10 (44-53) roster guys. They are at best just as good as the players ahead of them on the depth chart. How about giving credit for such a deep team instead of saying these are poor roster decisions. 

Put another way, if Breida and/or Obada are active for the Tenn. or Jax game, or Davis gets more snaps do they win either of those games? If no Edmunds and just Klein, are they better than 6-3? 

I think not. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd say Bredia is a more high risk/high reward type back after almost getting allen killed and the fumble but looked really good scoring the 2 td's. Moss and Singletary are more of stable backs with good yards per avg and good pass blocking for Allen. I wouldn't mind 3 backs like yesterday but the runs up the middle killed drives with moss, so moss could be the odd man out

I don't know if the coaches play favorites or not but I think the Bills could benefit from a gadget guy. 

Someone who catches passes at or around the line of scrimmage and/or in space to keep defenses honest. 

I think it would spread the defense out and force them to cover more of the field creating one on one coverage or mismatches downfield. 

Breida or McKenzie would work but they haven't played Breida much and they don't seem to use McKenzie like that although he has shown some success in the role previously. 

Obada is much better from the DT spot. Almost all his sacks in Carolina came from playing inside. 
He got worked in the Tennessee game playing end and was a huge liability. 
Breida earned some future snaps yesterday. He’s a scheme specific gadget guy and should not totally be counted as a runner.
Davis also earned some more snaps imo. 
Klein is depth and special teams. That’s all. He doesn’t need to be worked in to what’s already been working quite well this year. 
Punters don’t grow on trees, easy to say he’s replaceable without offering his replacement. What’s more likely? His punting costs us a game or a new punter can’t hold as well and bass costs us a game? Can they hold for bass (the leagues best kicker). Silly thing to use in defense of some poor punting but it does matter 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HansLanda said:

Let's be clear about the punter. His real job is to have perfect holds for Bass, but he happens to punt as well. With this offense, I'd rather have a holder that gets it exactly how Bass wants it.

Agree. Bojo is having a tremendous punting season, but—shocker— Crosby has missed like 10 kicks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.