Poor roster decisions still an issue with this regime

FilthyBeast

I'm not saying everyone has to be ALL sunshine and rainbows after a win, but...

Imagine it being the day after a 45-17 walloping of a divisional opponent and your first thought for a new thread to post to this forum is "this regime is making bad roster decisions!".

Couldn't be me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not trying to spoil yesterdays thumping of another bottom feeder, but there are a few issues that I perceive as puzzling at best in terms of the active gameday roster:

1) Matt Breida/Zack Moss - why did it take half the season to realize this guy should be active and getting snaps? Zack Moss has proven to be useless and we keep wasting carries on him for the same 2 yard gain almost every time he touches the ball. Should be Singletary/Breida the rest of the season without question. If they insist on dressing Moss then keep Taiwan Jones inactive.

2) AJ Klein - no he should not permanetly replace Edmunds, but this guy is a true grisled veteran that is always around the football. He proved it last year when he replaced Milano for a significant stretch and again this year when on the field. I get he's not the best in coverage but he's a throwback type of player....gritty and physical which is what this team needs more of.

3) Gabriel Davis - this is the trickiest one because obviously we can't really reduce the top 3 WR's snap counts but seems like all he does is make big plays when he's on the field.

4) Obada - seemed like he was very disruptive yesterday and had the only official sack of the game. Again another tricky situation because of the numbers game but if we are going to insist on giving former Panthers players playing time it should be him over Vernon Butler.

5) Punter is horrible and will cost this team down the stretch just like the Steelers game. Should have already found a replacement by now.

Fortunately we’re past the point of having our punter as our only Pro Bowl caliber player … I can find a way to live with that. As far as Breida, I think he brings a more explosive element to the offense, but I felt that way about Yeldon and we all know how that went. 

• Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not trying to spoil yesterdays thumping of another bottom feeder, but there are a few issues that I perceive as puzzling at best in terms of the active gameday roster:

1) Matt Breida/Zack Moss - why did it take half the season to realize this guy should be active and getting snaps? Zack Moss has proven to be useless and we keep wasting carries on him for the same 2 yard gain almost every time he touches the ball. Should be Singletary/Breida the rest of the season without question. If they insist on dressing Moss then keep Taiwan Jones inactive.

2) AJ Klein - no he should not permanetly replace Edmunds, but this guy is a true grisled veteran that is always around the football. He proved it last year when he replaced Milano for a significant stretch and again this year when on the field. I get he's not the best in coverage but he's a throwback type of player....gritty and physical which is what this team needs more of.

3) Gabriel Davis - this is the trickiest one because obviously we can't really reduce the top 3 WR's snap counts but seems like all he does is make big plays when he's on the field.

4) Obada - seemed like he was very disruptive yesterday and had the only official sack of the game. Again another tricky situation because of the numbers game but if we are going to insist on giving former Panthers players playing time it should be him over Vernon Butler.

5) Punter is horrible and will cost this team down the stretch just like the Steelers game. Should have already found a replacement by now.

1.   I guess the 4 TD's were all from the one yard line.  I think it should be all three as they all bring a different strength to the running game

2.  I do think the team should not cut Klein in the off season as has been suggested here by many to save money as he's a strong replacement for either Edmunds or Milano.  But when both Edmunds and Milano are healthy, they both should play and they both tend to be 3 down LB's.  If anything this would show they a very sharp regime in that they didn't let Klein go this off season to save money on a player that doesn't play that much overall.

3.  Sanders started off very strong, could/should Davis play more, yes and think we will see more of him.  After the 1st loss to Steelers, the team moved away from 4 WR sets so limited his play.

4.  See #3 above, same situation, just a different guy.  Numbers game.  May also be it's taken him awhile to feel comfortable in the defense to use him more.  On the other side was expecting more from him when he has played in limited times so can't argue with them not playing him much till now.

5.  Missed field goals can also cost team a game which I think is a big reason Bojo is no longer here.  Aside from a blocked punt which did happen in the Pitt game,  personally I think a better chance of a missed field goal costing them the game than a punt going ten yards less.   Having said that I do think next year the Bills will draft a punter in around the 6th round who also has a history as a good holder too.

These are all debatable points, but a very far cry from the title here of "Poor roster decisions still an issue with this regime" .  Think I'll go with the guys who see the players every day and do this for a living full time.  None of us are at practices to see what's going on.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

15 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Let's be clear about the punter. His real job is to have perfect holds for Bass, but he happens to punt as well. With this offense, I'd rather have a holder that gets it exactly how Bass wants it.

You can have both a guy who can punt good and hold good. I think they figured Haack would be more consistent, but he has been all over the place and just plain bad.

I think Brieda adds an element that is otherwise missing in the backfield. He had a nice day filling in and stepping up.

But something has gone undiscussed (from what I have seen) that is concerning and might speak to why we don't see more of him. Did you see the HUGE hit on Josh when the blitzer was not picked up and went unnoticed by Allen?  Matt ran right by him as he was heading in. I'm not suggesting I know his responsibility on that play, but it has to be SOMETHING. Didn't block or even chip. How about a shout out to Josh so he isn't totally blindsided.

Funbles, missed blocks---that's the kind of stuff that can get a seemingly good back benched.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I think Brieda adds an element that is otherwise missing in the backfield. He had a nice day filling in and stepping up.

But something has gone undiscussed (from what I have seen) that is concerning and might speak to why we don't see more of him. Did you see the HUGE hit on Josh when the blitzer was not picked up and went unnoticed by Allen?  Matt ran right by him as he was heading in. I'm not suggesting I know his responsibility on that play, but it has to be SOMETHING. Didn't block or even chip. How about a shout out to Josh so he isn't totally blindsided.

Funbles, missed blocks---that's the kind of stuff that can get a seemingly good back benched.

That was an odd play. Josh never even checked his blindside not even just before the contact which made me think the responsibility on Brieda there is "if he comes, chip him, then leak out". Maybe it wasn't in which case Josh has to know that is a ball out quick play. Maybe it was a quick hitter and the Jets had the place the ball was supposed to go doubled up? I don't know but it is very rare there that you see a blitzer come free there where the back just releases from that side and the QB holds the ball more than a second without checking whether anyone is coming. Was a big execution failure somewhere.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Frankly, I put that on Josh to see that and adjust properly. Something he failed to do there, and on more than a few other plays. Josh's lack of presnap reads and lack of situational awareness has been a problem all season, and especially in our losses.

Same thing for when Dawkins went out and it was 3rd and 13. You have a rookie, backup LT in the game on 3rd and Long. Josh MUST know that pressure will be coming and either step up/move around early, and/or get rid of the ball. ANYTHING but standing there, holding onto the ball, and taking a sack there which pushed us out of FG range.

I love the dude, but he needs to start channeling way more Brady and get the ball out immediately or make the smart play and throw it away.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Missed field goals can also cost team a game which I think is a big reason Bojo is no longer here. 

Indeed. Bojo is now holding for Mason Crosby, one of the most reliable kickers in the league... until this year. I think he's missed 7 FGs with Bojo holding.

• Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Pass blocking. Missed blitz got Allen killed. You run right by him and he's clean off the edge on the blind side. How do you not pick that up? Breida is a half season adjustment to counter with speed on the edge.

No, we need coverage LBs.

Davis and Beasley limping cost a SB last year

One game in trying out new people. Don't be the Raiders and draft a kicker with your first pick. Oline is biggest issue seeing how $100 million is under center.

Edited by beavis

McBean seems to have built a pretty good roster. Yes, you can take exception with individuals. Punter is a problem & my guess is they will move on. I don't see what the coaches see on the film, which drives game day decisions. Moss is a very good blocker and gets into the game because of that. Dawkins was no HOF'er yesterday, and everyone saw what happened when Tommy Doyle can into the game. 

Edited by Rock Pile Guy

49 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

This one, I agree with.  He is horrible and making an upgrade should not be difficult.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.