A Few Thought about the Jets Game, in no particular order

Virgil

one interesting thing was all the big sweep runs went to right side.  Spencer Brown is a beast and a BS holding on Dawkins negated  a nice Allen rollout to right side.   One concern Eirc Wood mentioned is Brown seems slow getting ups  few times hope they can get that back feeling better.

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

2 - Brieda - My fantasy team be damned; it's hard to not love the 3 headed monster we saw yesterday.  Brieda caught a beautiful pass on a wheel route for the first touchdown and then showed power and speed for a rushing touchdown later.

I want to point out Singletary or Moss do not score either of those TDs. If Breida isn't active that's two red zone TDs taken off the board for an offense that has struggled to score in the red zone this year. No guarantee we get in the end zone on either of those drives if not for Breida. He needs to be a part of this offense every week.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Great job as usual.  Here's a stat [yes I know it was against the Jests] that opened my eyes; Allen threw for 305 of his 366 yards using play action, the 2nd-most in a game by any QB since 2016. Play action slows the pass rush, and wondering if it also doesn't eventually lead to better room for the running game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

I agree, but a question: does GD look like he has a "play thru it" injury, like turf toe or something?

He's running....funny. Seems to have a hitch in his giddy-up. Even seen it in practice vids.

Maybe just me, but he still looks a little off.

On the 35 yard toe tap, he outran the DB's, Josh underthrew the ball, which was batted and Davis grabbed it falling OOB while being interfered with.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Am I crazy in thinking Singletary is the most talented RB on the team?

He is and generally I think he has run hard this year. But he put the ball on the floor AGAIN yesterday. 10 fumbles in two and a half seasons. You can't have it and it is why the Bills keep going back to Moss. They trust him to hold onto the football.

Great summary as usual Virgil...  I really like your thought about Davis.  I agree, when he becomes a real part of the passing attack - we just seem to be at another level.  As I mentioned on an earlier post, I really think Daboll and company seem to be holding him back and he could be the X factor for a special playoff run.  

Go Bills!

P.S

Loving the multiple Pearl Jam references... As  a long time member of the Ten Club - I appreciate this at multiple levels (It doesn't get Vedder then this)

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Special K said:

I think this is a preview of what we will see next year as well....Beasley is in the final year of his contract, I believe, and probably won't be re-signed. I think they would make a good trio of WR's.

Sanders isn't signed past this year either. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I want to point out Singletary or Moss do not score either of those TDs. If Breida isn't active that's two red zone TDs taken off the board for an offense that has struggled to score in the red zone this year. No guarantee we get in the end zone on either of those drives if not for Breida. He needs to be a part of this offense every week.

Moss looks to be the slowest of the 3 all things considered, granted I'd rather see Brenda dressed over someone like Kumerow.

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Side note, anyone disagree with the flag against AJ for roughing?  I don't know what he could have done differently on that play.

Yeah was another bad call, however Jets also got some bad calls against them. There was a couple plays there was some bad calls against Jets (although I wasn't complaining) that I thought were non sense.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

Good comments.

But if you're going to praise Breida and then ding Singletary for his "unassisted fumble" you in fairness ought to mention Breida's own unassisted fumble. 

I liked what Breida brought to the game but we can't ignore that. And I think he was the back who neglected to chip block the free blitzer who wiped out Josh. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BearNorth said:

On the 35 yard toe tap, he outran the DB's, Josh underthrew the ball, which was batted and Davis grabbed it falling OOB while being interfered with.

Davis had those incredible plays last season when Josh scrambled and hit him at the sideline.  With Brown let go, I’m sure we all figured it was to get him more involved.  Hope to see him more going forward.

Great Job, as always Virgil.

Concerning points 2, 5, & 7 (Breida, McKenzie, Davis), my take is that getting more speed involved in the offense is a good thing. Continue to find creative ways to do that Mr. Daboll.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

one interesting thing was all the big sweep runs went to right side.  Spencer Brown is a beast and a BS holding on Dawkins negated  a nice Allen rollout to right side.   One concern Eirc Wood mentioned is Brown seems slow getting ups  few times hope they can get that back feeling better.

I'm very concerned about a guy his size already having back problems. Makes me think he's already on the downside of his career, and we'll need to be replacing him in 2-3 years.

• Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

I would like these weekly posts so much more if not for that god awful profile picture, Virg.  Just being honest.  It only detracts from your content 

Just wanted to add, in the interest of full disclosure, that I may or may not have a few such pictures of myself around from many moons ago.  However, you probably won't be seeing those posted anywhere if I can help it.  I'd rather have a crazy-ass Colonel Kurtz than show my real mug. 

Please do keep up your excellent weekly contributions though.  We all look forward to your "thoughts" each week, in whichever order you choose to present them.  I guess not when they drop a stinker like the Jaguars game.  But you know what I mean.

(And if that's a high school picture, I'm guessing we're probably the same age.  You look a lot like a few buddies of mine back then from my high school in Manassas, VA.)

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - McKenzie in Motion - It's hard to wonder how much the Bills pay attention to the online criticism, because the McKenzie motion sweep was back on display in this game again, even scoring a Touchdown off it.   As said all week, it's not that the play is unstoppable, but it's just one more thing the defense has to think about before pinning their ears back and going after Josh.  McKenzie also had a great return game today, almost breaking one.  Just another example of the 2020 gang getting involved again.

McKenzie's touchdown was so good it even faked out the camera man.  Love seeing this back in the Bills' playbook.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Just wanted to add, in the interest of full disclosure, that I may or may not have a few such pictures of myself around from many moons ago.  However, you probably won't be seeing those posted anywhere if I can help it.  I'd rather have a crazy-ass Colonel Kurtz than show my real mug. 

Please do keep up your excellent weekly contributions though.  We all look forward to your "thoughts" each week, in whichever order you choose to present them.  I guess not when they drop a stinker like the Jaguars game.  But you know what I mean.

(And if that's a high school picture, I'm guessing we're probably the same age.  You look a lot like a few buddies of mine back then from my high school in Manassas, VA.)

I actually lived in Manassas for a few years, back in 2018.  I still go back for McKays used book store 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

I would like these weekly posts so much more if not for that god awful profile picture, Virg.  Just being honest.  It only detracts from your content 

You got it backwards man!!  @Virgil has a ROCKING profile pix!!!

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

As always, Virgil, good writeup.  Welcome back!

23 hours ago, Virgil said:

1 - Klein - I was really impressed with Klein's game in place of Edmunds as he made multiple plays that stood out.  One of my biggest complaints about Edmunds is that he doesn't make those game changing plays often enough to make me want the team to commit to him long term.  On the very first series of this game, Klein almost made one of those plays.  He crept up to the line after the ball was snapped, getting lost in the mass of blockers and making White think the middle of the field was open.  As White set to throw, Klein stepped back into his zone and almost had an interception off his hands.  With Edmunds, I feel like he would have stayed in the zone the whole time, discouraging the pass in the first place.  Same end result, but Klein had the bigger play opportunity.  Beyond that, Klein has some amazing solo tackles in space, and shot the gap with speed for a tackle for a loss.  Klein played like a missile waiting for his target and I honestly hope to see more of him at MLB.

Klein is a very solid player. 

Part of our defensive improvement as the season wore on was, I think, Frazier and McDermott eventually recognizing that the "NextManUp" idea blows wads when you have players with somewhat unique skill sets like Milano or Edmunds and redistributing responsibilities to craft an LB role for Klein that was suited to his strengths.  And I believe that's what they did last Sunday.

My point: the proper way to evaluate both Edmunds and Klein is "are they correctly doing what's asked of them".  For Klein, that answer was a resounding "Yes" last Sunday, but recognize that part of the role that's normally filled by Edmunds may have been shifted to Milano and Johnson and vice versa (part of their normal role shifted to Klein).

I do at times wonder if we would be better going to a 4-3 defense and playing Klein more.  Taron Johnson's level of play has made that hard, but (for example) against Tennessee I felt our guys just wore down against Henry as the game went on, and I wondered if bringing fresh legs and a guy who can "thump" onto the field would have helped.  I'll probably have the same question against the Colts.

2 - Brieda - My fantasy team be damned; it's hard to not love the 3 headed monster we saw yesterday.  Brieda caught a beautiful pass on a wheel route for the first touchdown and then showed power and speed for a rushing touchdown later.  He didn't get a lot of carries, but he made the most of them, possibly showing Motor and Moss that their spots in the split aren't secured. 

I think the guy who may have a seat out of this is Kumerow.  Kumerow has been active every week for his 65% of the ST snaps.  Yesterday Breida played 63% of the ST snaps.  If the Bills built some confidence that Breida can play on teams, it's easier to keep Breida active even if he only takes 14% of the offensive snaps (similar number to what Kumerow has taken, but Breida undoubtedly made more out of his).

The question for Breida to step up and answer is his blocking.  He can physically block, I think, but that one Allen sack suggested to me that something was amiss in the protections/correct route for hot read.  Some patience may be required there.

Anyway, it might turn out long-term to be a Good Thing for Kumerow to have put himself on the Covid list last Tuesday and remove any table-banging Heath Farwell may have been doing about how much he needs Kumerow on ST therefore Breida must sit.

3 - Allen - Anyone else get the vibe that he just didn't care about coverage in this game and wouldn't be denied.  He threw up multiple balls that just gave his receivers a chance.  This was seen most with Diggs, even calling the same play back to back.  Their chemistry is undeniable and they feed off each other.  With Diggs great play, comes Allen confidence, and then everyone else benefits.  All had some beautiful passes, but also kept the fire on the sidelines when forced to punt.  If there is a sugar-high Josh, this was "Don't ***** with me" Josh.  He also had a really nice run that was negated by a BS holding call against Dawkins.  Allen had some misses and wasn't perfect, which I only say because he is capable of it, but he was overall the MVP candidate we know he can be. 

After last season, Allen mentioned "interceptable balls" as a concern he wanted to address.  I wonder if Allen had switched to seeing the field too conservatively and passing up throws he would unhesitatingly take, last season.  Perhaps this game represents a needed step towards the middle.

5 - GABE! - I don't think I realize how much I love watching this kid play until he showed up big in this game.  I get that Sanders can squeak open deep, but Davis just straight blew by his cover guy and the safety.  Davis also showed great concentration on a deep ball that was tipped around.  I don't care how many snaps it cuts into for Sanders (who made an amazing one handed catch against PI), we are a better team when Davis is taking the top off defenses and keeping them honest.  I don't know what the snap counts were, but Daboll needs to keep it going.  Also, Davis had a few good blocks to help the run game, something Sanders also struggles with.

Sanders took 60% of the snaps yesterday, down from 99% vs Jax and overall 84% on the season.  Gabe Davis took 52%, up from 28% vs Jax and overall 38% on the season.

Sanders blocking was good at the start of the season.  It's fallen off. 

I'll put it out there, I don't care how good care a guy takes of his body, 84% of the snaps is a hellacious load for a 34 year old WR.  Add to it that Sanders was nursing a foot injury all through training camp and the first week of the season and couldn't practice, it's hard to think the nicks and dings aren't adding up.  I think Sanders is a strong addition, but one where it stands to reason "less is more".  If we cut his snaps and put Gabe Davis out there a bit more, we might like the result.

Yesterday wasn't a huge change. I'm talking perhaps 5-8 fewer snaps for Sanders and 5-8 more for Davis.

Similar argument for Beasley.  I'd like to see a few more McKenzie snaps and a few less Beasley.  I know the guy's a gamer and thinks he can play through any injury, but he can't.

6 - Secondary - What else can you say except, Mike White is going to need trauma counseling after this game.

LOL, you could see it in his eyes that he had no clue where the DB came from on some of those plays.  I wish him well, but "overconfidence is a B word", Man.  He shouldn't have said that about believing he should have been the #1 pick in the 2018 draft.

7 - McKenzie in Motion - It's hard to wonder how much the Bills pay attention to the online criticism, because the McKenzie motion sweep was back on display in this game again, even scoring a Touchdown off it.   As said all week, it's not that the play is unstoppable, but it's just one more thing the defense has to think about before pinning their ears back and going after Josh. 

I've always said that when a large number of people with average knowledge feel strongly about something, it's always worth asking why.  Sometimes they're missing something, but sometimes they're right, and the Bills needing to operate from Allen under center more often is an example.

The success of the jet sweep and backfield motion is really an example of what shifting to under center can do.  It's more difficult to run, and less successful in deception from the shotgun.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

You got it backwards man!!  @Virgil has a ROCKING profile pix!!!

I don't know what I was thinking.  It's truly an original!

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I actually lived in Manassas for a few years, back in 2018.  I still go back for McKays used book store 

OMG!  Hilarious!  What are the odds?  I lived there or near there for 30 years and graduated HS there in 1992 (geez!).  If you go back and look at my yearbook, you'll find more than a few guys that look just like you. 

Virgil, you are my new favorite, brother!    So glad you're a Bills fan!  If we ever meet in person, dinner is on me!

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.