Jump to content

Jon Gruden suing the NFL, Roger Goodell


YoloinOhio
 Share

Recommended Posts

This hits on what I was wondering about from the beginning of all this...around a week or 2 before Gruden got fired from the Raiders...

 

Namely, why?  Why this?  Why now?  Why Gruden?  Why not anyone else?

 

The whole thing absolutely wreaks of some type of personal vengeance plot against Gruden.

 

The fact of the matter is Gruden is a cocky, egotistical maniac and I think he made a lot of enemies around the league for a long time when he was a coach in the old days.

 

He spent most of his time on the MNF broadcasts kissing ass around the league and trying to get back on good terms so he could re-enter the coaching ranks.

 

I assume he has a lot of enemies.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

You know, that was exactly my thought.  I don't think the Soviets ever troubled to assassinate character.

 

I don't think it's the "naughty words" that did it for Gruden.

 

It was what he said about Goodell.

 

Show me a business, anywhere, anytime, where it was acceptable to "piss in the Boss's Wheaties" like that.

 

I'll hang up and wait. 

 

No, I lie; I won't wait, because you can't.

 

It's never been acceptable, any time, any where, and it's a "fairy story" that it has anything to do with "society we've become".  If anything, we're now more tolerant of disrespect towards authority.

Gruden did not work for Goddell or the NFL. He was employed by the Raiders.  So he didn’t “piss in the boss’s Wheaties…”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, prissythecat said:

 None of this changes the fact that Chucks wrote emails that were misogynistic , homophobic , and racist .   And to make it even more awesome , he wrote them on systems where there is no expectation of privacy .   

What Chucky did was wrong for multiple reasons, but he’s probably getting a settlement because I’m willing to bet there is a lot more dirty out there. I doubt the NFL wants that in the light. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 3:56 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Good for Chucky

Goodell has done nothing good for the NFL. He can’t leave the commissioner’s office soon enough for me!

Popular opinion for sure, but any replacement will still be subject to the wants and desires of the billionaire owners. Thus, it would bring little, if any change.

Edited by Spiderweb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The NFL SpinMedia is out in force:

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/13/grudens-lawsuit-mistakenly-alleges-that-his-firing-was-intended-to-distract-from-wft-investigation/

35 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Popular opinion for sure, but any replacement will still be subject to the wants and desires of the billionaire owners. Thus, it would bring little, if any change.

Why we need more community owned teams! Change...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, thronethinker said:

So he was fired because he said things some people don't like. The issue is did he ever fire or not hire someone based on their race, gender, gender identity, daily identity, or extenuating identity of sexual orientation/preference. If not he has his rights to his speech in a lawsuit. 

Nope. Not how that works at all but thanks for playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This hits on what I was wondering about from the beginning of all this...around a week or 2 before Gruden got fired from the Raiders...

 

Namely, why?  Why this?  Why now?  Why Gruden?  Why not anyone else?

 

The whole thing absolutely wreaks of some type of personal vengeance plot against Gruden.

 

The fact of the matter is Gruden is a cocky, egotistical maniac and I think he made a lot of enemies around the league for a long time when he was a coach in the old days.

 

He spent most of his time on the MNF broadcasts kissing ass around the league and trying to get back on good terms so he could re-enter the coaching ranks.

 

I assume he has a lot of enemies.

 

 


hmmm…..who would want to Gruden out of his contract most….?

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

You know, that was exactly my thought.  I don't think the Soviets ever troubled to assassinate character.

 

I don't think it's the "naughty words" that did it for Gruden.

 

It was what he said about Goodell.

 

Show me a business, anywhere, anytime, where it was acceptable to "piss in the Boss's Wheaties" like that.

 

I'll hang up and wait. 

 

No, I lie; I won't wait, because you can't.

 

It's never been acceptable, any time, any where, and it's a "fairy story" that it has anything to do with "society we've become".  If anything, we're now more tolerant of disrespect towards authority.

 

 

I agree with your point but Goodell wasn’t Gruden’s boss. And it didn’t seem like Mark Davis was in the loop.

Goodell couldn’t hire or fire Gruden and the way that Goodell manufactured Gruden’s resignation leaves the league in a tough spot.  It’s up to Goodell to manage appearances for the NFL’s owners, and he left them with a PR mess.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, snafu said:

I agree with your point but Goodell wasn’t Gruden’s boss.

 

Not at the time. 

 

I suppose technically, not at any time, but still the Big Boss of the NFL operation.

 

My point is just that this isn't some modern phenomenon: insult Les Grands Fromages of your industry has always been a big AwShit!

The modern twist is just that emails (and social media) are forever vs. speech you can deny or a paper letter you can (theoretically) burn

 

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Gruden did not work for Goddell or the NFL. He was employed by the Raiders.  So he didn’t “piss in the boss’s Wheaties…”

 

That's really a nit.  He wasn't employed in the NFL at the time, but he was at the time it came out, and Goodell is the Big Boss over the whole operation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Not at the time. 

 

I suppose technically, not at any time, but still the Big Boss of the NFL operation.

 

My point is just that this isn't some modern phenomenon: insult Les Grands Fromages of your industry has always been a big AwShit!

The modern twist is just that emails (and social media) are forever vs. speech you can deny or a paper letter you can (theoretically) burn

 

 

That's really a nit.  He wasn't employed in the NFL at the time, but he was at the time it came out, and Goodell is the Big Boss over the whole operation.


Yes right, don’t piss off your boss.  I doubt Goodell went to his boss — Mark Davis — and said “I’m going to sandbag your head coach because I don’t like him and I have zero authority to fire him.  Oh and I’m going to do it publicly and in a way that pisses off and frightens some of my other 31 bosses”. Could tun into an awShit moment for the Commissioner some day.

 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 5:16 PM, ColoradoBills said:

The NFL legal team no doubt looked at the possibilities of what Gruden may or may not do after the emails would be released.

This filing I'm sure is no surprise to them.

 

The looked at the possibilities of what would happen if they let the Rams leave St. louis.

 

Yet they’re still getting their hiney kicked in court.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Actually that is exactly how the law works. Why do you think otherwise? You have to show his views improperly impacted someone's career. 

 

If you send  emails in your workplace that essentially say  :  " I hate blacks,  women, and gay people ,"   how well will would that go over?     It doesn't have to impact someone's career lol.  You would be in hot water  at practically any major company.  Why would the NFL be any different?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

No it is not inappropriate only to the new woke culture. 

Paul Rudd, sexiest man of the year

Whitey Ford

Moose Skowron

Jerry Mathers as "the Beaver" Cleaver.

Popeye Jones

Bucky Dent

 

Look, I am not oblivious to names used in 2021, and I could gave said

Mr. Gruden and been quite respectful of a guy who clearly is undeserving of the respect. He has always been over the top, exaggerates and ridicules frequently. 

My apology if I offended you, and your principles. 

 

 

You're misunderstanding my question.  I'm not offended,  was leading toward a path that sounds like we both agree with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, prissythecat said:

 

If you send  emails in your workplace that essentially say  :  " I hate blacks,  women, and gay people ,"   how well will would that go over?     It doesn't have to impact someone's career lol.  You would be in hot water  at practically any major company.  Why would the NFL be any different?

Several levels of this: one he did not ever insinuate he hated blacks, gays, or women. He stated using inappropriate terms he hated  Demaurice Smith and did not like the drafting of Michael Sam. Second: he had the the first openly gay player in NFL and supported him. Third: he was not in hot water until they got leaked from 8 years ago. The NFL was fine with comments and language until recently. 

 

As for me personally I would not use derogatory terms for people in writing or verbally for many reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Several levels of this: one he did not ever insinuate he hated blacks, gays, or women. He stated using inappropriate terms he hated  Demaurice Smith and did not like the drafting of Michael Sam. Second: he had the the first openly gay player in NFL and supported him. Third: he was not in hot water until they got leaked from 8 years ago. The NFL was fine with comments and language until recently. 

 

As for me personally I would not use derogatory terms for people in writing or verbally for many reason.

 

Fair enough.  I will agree with derogatory or wildly inappropriate.      But regardless,  even 8 years ago before "wokeness"  ,  the emails had no place in any professional organization.      Now whether or not the NFL purposely leaked these,  I don't know.  But it does seem unlikely that Goodell would sign off on potentially exposing embarrassing stuff to the whole world by targeting someone who could retaliate with a lawsuit.  It may  be there is someone who fancies himself a whistleblower and wants authorities to  look at what  the NFL did not want to discuss or publish in any formal report.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

 

Fair enough.  I will agree with derogatory or wildly inappropriate.      But regardless,  even 8 years ago before "wokeness"  ,  the emails had no place in any professional organization.      Now whether or not the NFL purposely leaked these,  I don't know.  But it does seem unlikely that Goodell would sign off on potentially exposing embarrassing stuff to the whole world by targeting someone who could retaliate with a lawsuit.  It may  be there is someone who fancies himself a whistleblower and wants authorities to  look at what  the NFL did not want to discuss or publish in any formal report.

I agree, highly unlikely Goodell had anything to do with it. I don’t know if had anything to do with deflecting attention from Snyder / Skins either. I think it was some clown in the league office like a Troy Vincent who saw those e-mails and got so bent out of shape that he went running to the NYT & WaPo who were only to happy to do another hit job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...