Urban Meyer interview (contains thoughts on Bills)

unbillievable

So one of the statements he makes about Buffalo is very definitive "they are a spread offense"

He says the Dolphins played "6 sub no deep" against us, meaning "cover 0" "that takes away all the spread, there's no more spread offense when you do that" and then it's "a matter if you can hang in there or not".

He says "they are a spread offense and they can dink and dunk you and pick you apart".

Looking at the passing chart against the Dolphins, I can see his point:

image.thumb.png.7f6db0a2f144703fa85f80fe6f08c29f.png

3 passes over 20 yards, all incomplete.

Looking at the previous week's chart (Tennessee) not too different.

Do you guys agree with Meyer?  Is that who we are now?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So one of the statements he makes about Buffalo is very definitive "they are a spread offense"

He says the Dolphins played "6 sub no deep" against us, meaning "cover 0" "that takes away all the spread, there's no more spread offense when you do that" and then it's "a matter if you can hang in there or not".

He says "they are a spread offense and they can dink and dunk you and pick you apart".

I would fully agree that we are a spread offense... Realistically the most efficient balls are within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage

With Josh's velocity and ball placement that's where you want the bulk of your passing plays..

You're always looking for a couple shots a game but they should be set up strategically.. unless it's a full broken play

Edited by Buffalo716

I have zero issue with the offense.  The o line sucks and our rbs suck.  Makes them extremely one dimensional.  They really need to address this in the off-season.  And josh is missing open recievers deep.  He has struggled with this for a while.  I can't tell you the last time he hit a guy in stride on a deep ball.  Every game he misses one or two.  Huge fan of his but doesn't matter if you can throw it 80 yard if you're not getting it to your reciever.   

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Without Knox this is definitely a spread offense. I actually wish we had another TE that was a Lee Smith level blocker. That would make it impossible for DCs to just game plan on a spread without the possibility of getting slammed by a 22 formation and a QB sweep. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would fully agree that we are a spread offense... Realistically the most efficient balls are within 15 years of a line of scrimmage

With Josh's velocity and ball placement that's where you want the bulk of your passing plays..

You're always looking for a couple shots a game but they should be set up strategically.. unless it's a full broken play

Defenses don't have to bite on any play action considering how pathetic our run game is. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, and I agree with the defensive philosophy. We haven't shown that we can hold up on the line v. Cover 0 in order to make teams pay with the deep ball. 

6 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I have zero issue with the offense.  The o line sucks and our rbs suck.  Makes them extremely one dimensional.  They really need to address this in the off-season.  And josh is missing open recievers deep.  He has struggled with this for a while.  I can't tell you the last time he hit a guy in stride on a deep ball.  Every game he misses one or two.  Huge fan of his but doesn't matter if you can throw it 80 yard if you're not getting it to your reciever.   

There's a stat that measures how far the ball travels in the air before being caught.

Josh Allen is #5 in the NFL.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Something feels like he’s admitting they cannot hang with us doing that and that’s the only reason he brought up the specific scheme the dolphins used lol I still think there’s an extremely short list of teams with the personnel capable of running that and most of them will miss the playoffs completely 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wasn't Cover 0 the boogeyman for our offense like 2 years ago? I have a hard time thinking it's not something we might not have a good plan for.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would fully agree that we are a spread offense... Realistically the most efficient balls are within 15 years of a line of scrimmage

Seems somewhat inefficient but I'm a patient fan.

I don't know if he means to come across this way but Urban looks and sounds miserable.  I don't even know if he lasts the season before taking a job at a major college program.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

There's a stat that measures how far the ball travels in the air before being caught.

Josh Allen is #2 in the NFL, only behind Tom Brady.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

You didn't sort it.  Josh Allen is #5 as far as air yards goes.

• Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Seems somewhat inefficient but I'm a patient fan.

I don't know if he means to come across this way but Urban looks and sounds miserable.  I don't even know if he lasts the season before taking a job at a major college program.

Across the league most balls are not traveling 20 yards in the air often

Josh throws the ball downfield as much as any quarterback in the league 

The key is to hit a 15-20 yard ball with RAC , turns into a 30+ yard play.. and Josh almost converts first downs every time he throws ball 

Lots of quarterbacks are short of the sticks guys

57 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Across the league most balls are not traveling 20 yards in the air often

Josh throws the ball downfield as much as any quarterback in the league 

The key is to hit a 15-20 yard ball with RAC , turns into a 30+ yard play.. and Josh almost converts first downs every time he throws ball 

Lots of quarterbacks are short of the sticks guys

Oh, yards.  Yeah, that makes sense.

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Yes, and I agree with the defensive philosophy. We haven't shown that we can hold up on the line v. Cover 0 in order to make teams pay with the deep ball. 

Of course Allen can escape vs pressure and Jacksonville’s CBs are not as good at Miami’s so Cover 0 is super dangerous for them to play.

12 hours ago, DallasMac said:

yeah, D-Mac, you got a thumbs up from me.  I love this team, but this is super bowl mode and you served up a cold dose of truth which many know, but just need to keep in mind as for the rest of the regular season we aren’t really going to be truly tested on that.

Some of us thought in the off season that at best our line is above average to good, maybe somewhere between 16-20, but not a championship line, with the hope that Josh can mask some of those failings.

If he was just a bit better with that deep ball he would scare the crap out of defenses and they would be weary of what they do with their front 7 because of it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.