Urban Meyer interview (contains thoughts on Bills)

unbillievable

5 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I have zero issue with the offense.  The o line sucks and our rbs suck.  Makes them extremely one dimensional.  They really need to address this in the off-season.  And josh is missing open recievers deep.  He has struggled with this for a while.  I can't tell you the last time he hit a guy in stride on a deep ball.  Every game he misses one or two.  Huge fan of his but doesn't matter if you can throw it 80 yard if you're not getting it to your reciever.   

You have zero issues with the offense followed by your issues with the offense lol. I agree with you on all the issues though. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Whats wrong with being a spread offence?

We run the read option ,use draws out of the shotgun call designed QB runs, go empty backfield and use 4 WR's often.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If it were only a Bills home game...Meyer might have asked about good pickup bars for coeds. 🙁

So where are they? ;)

39 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

We run the read option ,use draws out of the shotgun call designed QB runs, go empty backfield and use 4 WR's often.

So where are they? ;)

Damned if I know... I am old enough to be their grandfather. Then again, so is Lounge Lizard Urban. 🤨

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Defenses don't have to bite on any play action considering how pathetic our run game is. 

This is a very misguided statement.  While a powerful run game can absolutely enhance PA, PA does not need an effective run game to succeed.

And while the Bills’ OL is only average, look at the 2nd half against Miami.  We were running the ball pretty effectively.

Everybody wants to overreact and think they can boil down any struggles into a simplistic statement.  It’s much more nuanced than that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Very cool post.   Use to love listening to the opposing coaches on calls with Bills media, dont seem to get that anymore.   Seems like Josh is going to have to start connecting on deep passes to beat Cover 0.   Always baffled by his troubles with throwig the long ball.   You'd expect a guy who can throw it 80 yards in the air not to have a problem with it.

I was flicking through the sports channels last night and noticed the weekly Jaguars UK show was on Sky Sports NFL. Usually I wouldn't entertaining putting that on but with us playing them this week I had a butcher's. 

The game preview show was superb. It was basically the host, Bucky Brooks and everyone else saying how they're going to their backsides handed to them by the Bills. It was like hearing your newborn child cry for the first time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So one of the statements he makes about Buffalo is very definitive "they are a spread offense"

He says the Dolphins played "6 sub no deep" against us, meaning "cover 0" "that takes away all the spread, there's no more spread offense when you do that" and then it's "a matter if you can hang in there or not".

He says "they are a spread offense and they can dink and dunk you and pick you apart".

Looking at the passing chart against the Dolphins, I can see his point:

image.thumb.png.7f6db0a2f144703fa85f80fe6f08c29f.png

3 passes over 20 yards, all incomplete.

Looking at the previous week's chart (Tennessee) not too different.

Do you guys agree with Meyer?  Is that who we are now?

@Hapless Bills Fan Possibly, but I don't want us to be "that team". Credit to the Phins for taking away the long ball; they do have talented corners. 

Credit to Daboll for finally realizing that running the ball wouldn't work, and switching to a dink-n-dunk in the second half. That's what won us the game. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, vincec said:

Of course Allen can escape vs pressure and Jacksonville’s CBs are not as good at Miami’s so Cover 0 is super dangerous for them to play.

This is right. We just played the #3 (preseason rank) CB tandem in Jones and Howard, so they are comfortable in cover 0.

So we went to our 3rd option Beasley who torched them.

Most teams don't have a #1 and #2 CB group like Miami does. 

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Wasn't Cover 0 the boogeyman for our offense like 2 years ago? I have a hard time thinking it's not something we might not have a good plan for.

So the two classic ways to beat Cover 0 are throw deep over the middle of the field (which requires adequate protection) or throw screens.

Brett Kollman did a good thing on it a couple years ago if you're interested:

The QB scrambling through a big hole if you leave one would be a third *g*

The Bills didn't have a lot of plays in the first half and especially the first Q - the Dolphins had 20 plays to 10 for the Bills.

But what it looked like we tried was the QB keeper, a deep shot (that missed, under pressure) then 2 screens (that failed).

Later in the 2Q we had some more successful screens

IMHO the deep connection between Emmanual Sanders and Allen is still problematic.  He just doesn't seem to be where Allen expects him? 

Maybe I'm wrong and it's on Allen, but Sanders was 0 for 4 in that game and if he's even 2 for 4 it's a different game.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

This is a very misguided statement.  While a powerful run game can absolutely enhance PA, PA does not need an effective run game to succeed.

And while the Bills’ OL is only average, look at the 2nd half against Miami.  We were running the ball pretty effectively.

Everybody wants to overreact and think they can boil down any struggles into a simplistic statement.  It’s much more nuanced than that.

You’re spot on. We ran much less last year and still effectively ran play action quite a bit with zero threat of actually running the ball. 

I hope they do attempt a cover 0. Miami has a pretty darn good secondary. Jags? Not even close. Plus Miami did a pretty good job rushing the passer. Jags are too slow to get to the QB. This is absolutely the game to attack with the passing game. Couple of long connections and that defense won't know what to do. It's all about exploiting weaknesses and man are they weak stopping the passing game.

It's crazy hearing Urban talk compared to McD. 

Just seems like a tough guy to rally behind.  

He paid some great homage , saying this is the best built team in recent memory and said they talk about how they did it. 

Pretty simple Urban- the GM and HC had the same blueprint and vision on how to produce a consistent winner. No ego. Humble n hungry and I feel that really resonates throughout the building, players , coaches and Front Office seem to all follow that mantra

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

There's nothing wrong with being a spread offense, and for sure the Bills use spread offense concepts.

I'm just not sure that's a proper characterization of our offense this year.  Believe it or don't, we actually run (1,2) and (2,1) sets this year with a higher frequency than we run 4 WR sets (or 4 WR and 5 WR sets).  Now that can be misleading, because especially with Knox we may run a (1,2) or (2,1) set and still split out 4 or 5 wide.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

When asked to characterize our offense, both Daboll and Allen dodge the answer.  They say something like "we're going to do whatever we think gives us the best chance to win this week".

Maybe that's a problem - maybe if they focused on fewer things and polished them to execute to perfection, our offense wouldn't stall out as readily.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I have zero issue with the offense.  The o line sucks and our rbs suck.  Makes them extremely one dimensional.  They really need to address this in the off-season.  And josh is missing open recievers deep.  He has struggled with this for a while.  I can't tell you the last time he hit a guy in stride on a deep ball.  Every game he misses one or two.  Huge fan of his but doesn't matter if you can throw it 80 yard if you're not getting it to your reciever.   

Something I heard, I believe from Cover 1, is that Allen's arm is so strong that his ropes (for example the Sanders TD against the Chiefs) would be rainbows for other QBs. So it only seems like Allen is bad on deep balls because he nails his impossible ropes, but his actual rainbows (like Diggs against the Chiefs) he still struggles with since he has to take so much off of it to avoid overthrows. 

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

There's a stat that measures how far the ball travels in the air before being caught.

Josh Allen is #5 in the NFL.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

If you're talking "air yards per attempt", when I sort your link on that stat, I come up with Allen is #9 if you include only QB who have started 4 or more games.

To put some perspective on it, that's still more than such QBs as Brady, Cousins, Ryan, Rodgers, Herbert and Mahomes - but it's neither 2nd nor 5th.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.