Urban Meyer interview (contains thoughts on Bills)

unbillievable

31 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I hope they do attempt a cover 0. Miami has a pretty darn good secondary. Jags? Not even close. Plus Miami did a pretty good job rushing the passer. Jags are too slow to get to the QB. This is absolutely the game to attack with the passing game. Couple of long connections and that defense won't know what to do. It's all about exploiting weaknesses and man are they weak stopping the passing game.

I haven't looked at the Jags defense in any detail, but I thought (again, from a distance, not delving into it) they were thought to have a pretty good defensive front.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you're talking "air yards per attempt", when I sort your link on that stat, I come up with Allen is #9 if you include only QB who have started 4 or more games.

To put some perspective on it, that's still more than such QBs as Brady, Cousins, Ryan, Rodgers, Herbert and Mahomes - but it's neither 2nd nor 5th.

Sorted on "Air."

6 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

You have zero issues with the offense followed by your issues with the offense lol. I agree with you on all the issues though. 

Haha.  I have zero issue with the offensive plays being called.  Shouldve been more clear.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I haven't looked at the Jags defense in any detail, but I thought (again, from a distance, not delving into it) they were thought to have a pretty good defensive front.

From what I have seen, they have been getting burned in the passing game but yeah, their front 4 is solid and it shows in their ability to stop the run. But they are bottom of the league in sacks. They aren't getting enough pressure on the QB. Bills are a nightmare for them offensively. Allen with time will chew them up and spit them out.

4 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Something I heard, I believe from Cover 1, is that Allen's arm is so strong that his ropes (for example the Sanders TD against the Chiefs) would be rainbows for other QBs. So it only seems like Allen is bad on deep balls because he nails his impossible ropes, but his actual rainbows (like Diggs against the Chiefs) he still struggles with since he has to take so much off of it to avoid overthrows. 

Yea the Sanders TD against KC came to mind but he almost never hits the rainbows. There was a deeper crosser to Diggs in the Texans game, maybe that counts.

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Across the league most balls are not traveling 20 yards in the air often

Josh throws the ball downfield as much as any quarterback in the league 

The key is to hit a 15-20 yard ball with RAC , turns into a 30+ yard play.. and Josh almost converts first downs every time he throws ball 

Lots of quarterbacks are short of the sticks guys

Josh Allen is 2nd in the league in ADOT which is average depth of target only behind Lamar Jackson so we are far from a dink and dink offense. 

Teams are playing tons of cover 2 shell so that by default funnels QB to target short passes. Allen still takes his deep shots. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Josh Allen is 2nd in the league in ADOT which is average depth of target only behind Lamar Jackson so we are far from a dink and dink offense. 

Teams are playing tons of cover 2 shell so that by default funnels QB to target short passes. Allen still takes his deep shots. 

I think my first sentence was Josh throws downfield as much as any QB in the league

19 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Wasn't Cover 0 the boogeyman for our offense like 2 years ago? I have a hard time thinking it's not something we might not have a good plan for.

It's the boogie man for every offense until the quarterback figures out what to do about it. JA's a fast learner. 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's nothing wrong with being a spread offense, and for sure the Bills use spread offense concepts.

I'm just not sure that's a proper characterization of our offense this year.  Believe it or don't, we actually run (1,2) and (2,1) sets this year with a higher frequency than we run 4 WR sets (or 4 WR and 5 WR sets).  Now that can be misleading, because especially with Knox we may run a (1,2) or (2,1) set and still split out 4 or 5 wide.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

When asked to characterize our offense, both Daboll and Allen dodge the answer.  They say something like "we're going to do whatever we think gives us the best chance to win this week".

Maybe that's a problem - maybe if they focused on fewer things and polished them to execute to perfection, our offense wouldn't stall out as readily.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having the flexibility to do lots of different things on offense.  It's up to the OC to make a decision about what his offense can handle.  The explanation given for Buffalo's first half struggles was Miami's game plan to play a different defense than they have in recent history.  I wondered why it took so long for the Bills to adjust, but that's a different issue from having an overly complex offense.  I think Josh Allen is going to continue to mature.  Hopefully Brian Daboll will, as he faces defenses trying different things to slow the Bills down, learn to change more quickly on the fly, and trust his maturing QB to make the reads on the field.  I think they'll be OK.  It's a good thing when the bumps occur against a poor team like Miami.  At least Buffalo can overcome the glitches.  When a good team comes up with a wrinkle that catches Buffalo off guard, (like Tennessee) it's tougher, but Buffalo doesn't have too many of those left in the schedule.  

If I'm right, then over time opposing teams should be progressively less effective and confusing the Bills with defensive "curve balls."

On 11/4/2021 at 4:37 AM, Buffalo716 said:

I would fully agree that we are a spread offense... Realistically the most efficient balls are within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage

With Josh's velocity and ball placement that's where you want the bulk of your passing plays..

You're always looking for a couple shots a game but they should be set up strategically.. unless it's a full broken play

Me too. I have thought it for two years. It is hard to pigeon hole Daboll's system but we are closer to a spread offense than any of the other off the peg offensive scheme descriptors IMO. 

• Agree 1

On 11/3/2021 at 11:52 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Defenses don't have to bite on any play action considering how pathetic our run game is. 

And this will probably be our reason we lose in the playoffs, if I were a defensive coach I would tell my linebackers don’t even wait for the run play,cover all game. And if a team plays like that and has a great front 4 we’re in trouble!!!! 

On 11/4/2021 at 12:41 AM, DallasMac said:

I have zero issue with the offense.  The o line sucks and our rbs suck.  Makes them extremely one dimensional.  They really need to address this in the off-season.  And josh is missing open recievers deep.  He has struggled with this for a while.  I can't tell you the last time he hit a guy in stride on a deep ball.  Every game he misses one or two.  Huge fan of his but doesn't matter if you can throw it 80 yard if you're not getting it to your reciever.   

Emmanuel Sanders for a TD?

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is, if you sort on "Air" it conflates how often a team throws and how far in the air the ball travels.

That may be what you want, but IMO looking at "air yards per attempt" is the better metric for how deep the QB is throwing

I think Josh makes plenty of deep attempts so I wouldn't be surprised if he's up there on a list.  What I was referring to in an earlier post was how many of those deeper ones is he connecting on.  It just seems to me that he's having an issue overthrowing on those deep passes where the recievers were open.

10 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

I think Josh makes plenty of deep attempts so I wouldn't be surprised if he's up there on a list.  What I was referring to in an earlier post was how many of those deeper ones is he connecting on.  It just seems to me that he's having an issue overthrowing on those deep passes where the recievers were open.

The list is for completions.

You can go here and count if you like:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/josh-allen/ALL529264/season

Then pick another QB and compare if you like.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.