Tagovailoa Blows Up Sunday?

Dr. K

15 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Define breakout.  He's played well the past 2 weeks.

No, he really hasn't. The Jags should have been an easy win if Tua had played like a starting caliber QB. On their last drive he had two passes that took too long to get to their intended target, one turned into a pass breakup and one the receiver got tackled after a minimal gain. His physical upside is so limited that he has to be perfect in every other aspect and he is far from it. It cost them in that game.

I would agree the Falcons game was the best of his career but that is the definiton of grading on a curve. It's sad that the best game of his career came against a godawful defense and he still threw two back breaking interceptions in scoring range in a game decided by 2 points.

Tua is a backup caliber QB. He does exactly one thing well - throw an accurate ball to his first read when kept clean in the pocket. When the play call doesn't work out perfectly he falls apart. A skill set like that might be able to manage a good team to a .500 record. If they had Watson instead they would be 3-3 at worst right now. Possibly 4-2.

McDermott thrives against limited QBs. I can't remember a single game in his tenure here where a below average QB has beaten us.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

McDermott thrives against limited QBs. I can't remember a single game in his tenure here where a below average QB has beaten us.

that’a actually a great point.  You have to go back to 2019 — Wentz (with Philly) and Darnold, although there are caveats to both.  

Philly mainly beat us on the ground IIRC, and the Jets game was Week 17 where we already had the 5 seed wrapped up and were resting some starters.

5 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that’a actually a great point.  You have to go back to 2019 — Wentz (with Philly)

I will give you that one. Funny enough that is the one Bills game from at least the last 10 years that I was unable to watch live. Since they lost I never bothered watching it on DVR so I couldn't tell you what happened.

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I would like to see the Bills pound the Dolphins into sludge. I'm serious about that.

I'm also serious in my belief that the in the NFL good teams can be ambushed by bad ones now and then. Nowhere in my post did I say Tua was a good quarterback. But even bad QBs have games where they look good.  Mark Sanchez has won four playoff games, on the road--two of them against the Patriots with Brady and the Colts with Manning.  

I trust this will not happen tomorrow. 

Tua is bad and you know it.

22 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Any of the rest of you consider it possible that Tua will have a breakout game against the Bills? He's been playing better lately, and the Dolphins have seen the Bills already and should change their game plan to account for what the Bills do. It must be galling to them to hear that Allen has their number and the Bills will roll over them. Flores is coaching for his job. They have a lot of incentive.

I still think the Bills should beat them, of course, but it might be a high scoring game and closer than we would like to see. 

He may be playing better, but the Fins just don't match up well with the Bills on either side of the Ball.  On O, they don't have a running game that will keep the Bills honest, and Tua is no Josh Allen who can offset that weakness to a great extent. On D, they don't have the pass rush. I'm picking the Bills to cover...

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I will give you that one. Funny enough that is the one Bills game from at least the last 10 years that I was unable to watch live. Since they lost I never bothered watching it on DVR so I couldn't tell you what happened.

There was one specific play that the Bills D had no answer for and the Iggles ran it Over.  and Over.  and Over.  and Over again.

21 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I'll be honest with you. I think the Bills amongst any other team have ruined Tua's development irreparably. Any time it seems Tua and the Fins get any traction in the right direction here come the Bills to crush their hopes and aspirations. Every time he plays Buffalo he's always reminded he doesn't belong in the NFL. Just another example of a successful college system QB that some genius thought it would equate to NFL success. He'll be lucky to latch on as a journeyman back up when it's all said and done. Nothing against him, I feel the same about Mac Jones. Only diff is Jones has a better team and coaching.

I don't know about some of that, but I have wondered if the fact that Daboll coached Tua in college has anything to do with the Bills defensive results.

Just like Tennessee got the inside scoop on all of Allen's tendencies from Barkley, I'm sure.

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There was one specific play that the Bills D had no answer for and the Iggles ran it Over.  and Over.  and Over.  and Over again.

I don't know about some of that, but I have wondered if the fact that Daboll coached Tua in college has anything to do with the Bills defensive results.

Just like Tennessee got the inside scoop on all of Allen's tendencies from Barkley, I'm sure.

Yeah but the Titans couldn't stop josh allen 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s good to have respect for the opponent. it’s NFL football, not Georgia vs. Norfolk St.

I think the Bills win, but i also think Miami comes to play. Like the OP said, they have to be sick of hearing how much JA owns them and how much they suck. Miami actually has some talent, they have underachieved massively so far. 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but the Titans couldn't stop josh allen

?

3rd down stop at Tenn 5, FG

3rd down stop at Tenn 10, FG

3rd down stop at Tenn 34, FG

3rd and 6 at the Tenn 8, 4 and 1 at the Tenn 3, TOD

Looks as though they stopped him enough when it counted

Course the real problem was our defense couldn't stop the Titans

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

?

3rd down stop at Tenn 5, FG

3rd down stop at Tenn 10, FG

3rd down stop at Tenn 34, FG

3rd and 6 at the Tenn 8, 4 and 1 at the Tenn 3, TOD

Looks as though they stopped him enough when it counted

Course the real problem was our defense couldn't stop the Titans

I mean football is a team game . 1 of 11 is the bills mantra 

Without Allen the bills lose that game by 25 and it's not close 

Allen was magnificent... They didn't have his poison that day 

I can go to every quarterback and and have five to seven plays that didn't work correctly... Doesn't mean that they stopped him 

Our entire team has been Josh Allen for 3 years... He put up 350 and 3tds , the bills scored 30+... He was balling 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe Daboll's knowledge of Tua has something to do with Buffalo's success over Miami but it doesn't explain why he's not good against other teams.

Also it  doesn't matter what tendencies Tennessee got from Barkley about Josh. 353 yards and 3  TDs.  Josh wasn't the reason they lost that game. Unless of course Barkley had insight on the tendencies of the Defense as well. 

14 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Well maybe Tua will be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder because of the bad losses to the Bills during his stint--to use a very tired cliche.  So maybe he will have a game for the ages?

I still cannot wrap my head around this players are more successful when they’re ‘mad’ thing lol I’m sure the chiefs were mad after their first loss and they’ve now lost 4 total times.  Were we not sufficiently mad that the patriots whooped us for over a decade? Cuz it’s pretty similar to that. We have more talent than Miami it’s an objective fact. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean football is a team game . 1 of 11 is the bills mantra 

Without Allen the bills lose that game by 25 and it's not close 

Allen was magnificent... They didn't have his poison that day 

I can go to every quarterback and and have five to seven plays that didn't work correctly... Doesn't mean that they stopped him 

Our entire team has been Josh Allen for 3 years... He put up 350 and 3tds , the bills scored 30+... He was balling 

I’ve been saying the same thing…that was the exact offensive situation against Tennessee as last year where we lost by like 30 and josh was infinitely better this time around. Unfortunately he can’t play linebacker too they were straight up lost against the play action

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

8 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

are you happy with the “blow up” ? 

I was very wrong about that. But some people seem to think I was rooting for Tua, which is as far from the truth as you can get. 

I did expect the Dolphins to give the Bills a tougher game than most everyone was predicting. They are more talented than their 1-7 record would suggest, though they are not a good team by any stretch. 

I was feeling sick watching the Bills struggle all through the first half, and seeing the Fins move the ball (until they screwed up each time they had the chance to score). I figured the Bills would play better in the second, but it still was a grind. I was very happy to see them pull away in the fourth quarter. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.